IGNORED

Does it get worse before it gets better????

Hellstorm
Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my 4th season as a regular golfer and I have improved greatly every year until this one.  I went from 100s, to 90s and I was regularly in the 80s and even broke 80 a few times last year.  It seems like every time I tighten up an area of my game that is lacking, another area gets into trouble.  This year, its my driving accuracy.  I have not been able to hit anything in play and its ballooning my score every round I play.  Has anybody else been in a season long slump and what did you do to get over it?

I've  been golfing for 55+ years, and believe me when I tell you, slumps are just part of the game.

I can usually get over my slump by doing the following:

1) Instead of playing 18 holes, I go to the golf range and work on fundamentals

2) I then go to my back yard and work on my short game control

3) Finally, either in my basement or outdoor synthetic putting green, I spend 1-2 hours a day for a week or so on my putting fundamentals

Here is a couple of questions for you:

1) How old are you?

I am 65 and have found as I get older my game is constantly changing for a variety of reason. Age can be tough on a golf game.

2) Where do you live?

I live in Pittsburgh and only have April through October as months for regular play. Last year I did not play for 3 months consecutively, (January, February, March), because of bad weather. A tough winter can have a deleterious effect on your game.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Every time I've made a change it's gotten worse then better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if this was brought up. Are you getting new clubs all the time?I 've been in it about the same amount of time with similar results. Loved my last set and made a wholesale swap in my bag 6 months ago. Really affected my scores but stuck with them and am just now seeing a slow but steady lowering of my scores.

I've  been golfing for 55+ years, and believe me when I tell you, slumps are just part of the game.

I can usually get over my slump by doing the following:

1) Instead of playing 18 holes, I go to the golf range and work on fundamentals

2) I then go to my back yard and work on my short game control

3) Finally, either in my basement or outdoor synthetic putting green, I spend 1-2 hours a day for a week or so on my putting fundamentals

Here is a couple of questions for you:

1) How old are you?

I am 65 and have found as I get older my game is constantly changing for a variety of reason. Age can be tough on a golf game.

2) Where do you live?

I live in Pittsburgh and only have April through October as months for regular play. Last year I did not play for 3 months consecutively, (January, February, March), because of bad weather. A tough winter can have a deleterious effect on your game.

I'm only 40 and I dont think age is really affecting my game.  When I hit the ball well it is going as far as it ever has.  I live just up the road in Youngstown so I have the same golf season as you do.  This year was especially difficult to get started because of all the rain and the courses being in such bad shape.  I do get range time but I have been trying to play more to play my way back into some confidence.

Not sure if this was brought up. Are you getting new clubs all the time?I 've been in it about the same amount of time with similar results. Loved my last set and made a wholesale swap in my bag 6 months ago. Really affected my scores but stuck with them and am just now seeing a slow but steady lowering of my scores.

I've been playing pretty much the same clubs for a few years.  I switched out a 4 wood for a 3 hybrid and I have changed driver shafts but overall everything is the same.  I am going to just have to buckle down and go back to basics and start over.  The rest of my game is in good shape, its the trouble on the tee boxes thats killing me.

I think we all go through this, especially as we get better, and it can be very frustrating because our expectations tend to be higher the better we are. I used to have trouble hitting irons and woods well, in the same round. It was always one or the other that suffered. I found the swings are pretty similar, but irons one hits down on the ball, and woods one sweeps and/or swings up on the ball (I realize some people swing down on the ball with driver as well, and I used to as well, but found more consistent results swinging up). What took me way too long to figure out was... It can all be the same swing, the alignment is just a little different. I've worked on alignment quite a bit over the last year and a half... And it's done wonders. I'm much more consistent, and score much better in general. So, maybe it's something as simple as alignment, posture, etc. that you can work on and bring the driver back into play while continuing to be solid with the irons. Just some thoughts...
  • Upvote 1

I find I score better whenever I play "Golf", not when I play "swing". Out on the course, it's time to focus on making that ball travel from tee to hole in the most efficient manner. I also try to only allow myself 1 swing thought on the course, this way I can concentrate on the "golf" not the "swing". Seems to me that your hcp indicates that you can swing efficiently enough, it's just a matter of refocusing your attention when on the course.

That's pretty accurate.  I do find myself struggling with swing thoughts, especially when my confidence is lacking.  I think the whole alignment thing is valid as well.  I just dont feel all that comfortable over the ball.  I am going to focus on this and focus on my takeaway because I think that's where things are going bad.

Priority piece now for me is a centered hip turn. How did this get out of whack? Oh, yeah, compensations for all the injuries. So it's back to hitting half-swings with my 8, 9, and PW.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!