IGNORED

Higher Handicap Because of Terrible Putting

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bkuehn, i honestly cant say for sure, one thing i do know is, seems to me that as soon as something goes wrong i spend the rest of the round trying to fix it and never seem to get back on track

Bkuehn, i honestly cant say for sure, one thing i do know is, seems to me that as soon as something goes wrong i spend the rest of the round trying to fix it and never seem to get back on track

Unless it's a practice round, I would suggest that you don't make changes on the course? Actually, even at a practice round is a terrible place to make swing changes. Probably best to make any changes on the range or at some practice facility?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Unless it's a practice round, I would suggest that you don't make changes on the course? Actually, even at a practice round is a terrible place to make swing changes. Probably best to make any changes on the range or at some practice facility?

@Lihu , you were right about being asked to stay on topic… but in the wrong thread. :)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The process of putting always struck me as one of the least athletic activities in sports.  Putting requires no great strength or timing. The actual movement for almost everyone is a fairly simple back and forth of the putter...  If there are any people out there who would be willing to share their story, I would really like to understand what the issues are... But for the average avid golfer who plays regularly, puts in some practice time and plays a typical public-access course, how does one not become competent enough to get by with something under 36 putts?

If there are any people out there who would be willing to share their story, I would really like to understand what the issues are.

I agree with your assessment for the "average avid golfer."

As for my story.... We used to have a plaid rug in the family gameroom. It was the absolute best practice aid that I could ever hope for. I would put my indoor practice cup on the line and practice "straight back and straight through" on my putting stroke. I then took that stroke to the course and made a lot of putts in the 3-6 foot range. Then we had a sewer backup in the neighborhood and it came into our gameroom. We had to replace the rug, and no matter how much I begged my wife for a plaid one, she rejected my pleas. My short putting has never been the same.

The story continues... When I was younger, I guess I was like a lot of public course golfers. You could attack the cup and not really worry a lot about a comeback putt. Then as I got older, (and lost my plaid rug), my short putting was not as reliable. I then resorted to becoming a lag putter. My rationale was simple. I wanted to eliminate the 3 putt from my game and lag putting was the best way to do it. (NOTE: practicing bocce is a great way to help your lag putting.)  I have been keeping detailed stats since 2009 and in the last 6+ years I am averaging 31.9 putts per round.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Iacas, for me i feel its distance control but only on short to mid putts like between 4-15ft, ive always considered myself a lag putter, i seem to do better than most i play with on the big breakers, or the really long ones, im sure it has something to do with mental stuff too, its not uncommon for me to freeze up and come up 4ft short on a 12 footer

Better players here will attest to this, if they 3 putt it's usually after hitting GIR. You won't see many 3 putt doubles from half decent golfers.

Dave :-)

• Administrator

Iacas, for me i feel its distance control but only on short to mid putts like between 4-15ft, ive always considered myself a lag putter, i seem to do better than most i play with on the big breakers, or the really long ones, im sure it has something to do with mental stuff too, its not uncommon for me to freeze up and come up 4ft short on a 12 footer

If it's mental, that thread may not help you much at all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To the topic at hand, and to @bkuehn1952  ...please answer the question: which of the three keys do you lack the most? Do you lack all of them?

Neither putting - nor the solution to your putting problems - is all that difficult.

Actually I think I am a very competent putter.  I was really curious as to why players with the ability to consistently drive a long ball in play could not translate that ability to other parts of their game.  Over the past couple years I have seen any number of players describe superb tee to green games yet they seemingly flop completely once on or near the the green.  Like a 50% 3-point shooter averaging under 50% from the free throw line.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

Actually I think I am a very competent putter.  I was really curious as to why players with the ability to consistently drive a long ball in play could not translate that ability to other parts of their game.  Over the past couple years I have seen any number of players describe superb tee to green games yet they seemingly flop completely once on or near the the green.  Like a 50% 3-point shooter averaging under 50% from the free throw line.

Not for nothing, but… I think a lot of people are also a bit delusional about how good their long game is.

Averaging over 35 putts is bad, though, at almost any handicap level.

Not for nothing, but… I think a lot of people are also a bit delusional about how good their long game is.

Right, we've had several bogey golfers on the site post that they were good ballstrikers.

And a ton of guys who think they consistently hit it inside 15 ft from 100 yards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

My guess is higher handicap golfers probably 1 putt about as often they 3 putt due to missing so many greens.

My GG stats from inside 100 is 72% inside 15 yards. Of the remaining 28% 14% are short and most of it is greenside chips and pitches.

Ok, yesterday i shot an 84, with 41  feel thats the biggest seperation from my game.

Wasn't it you that asked about why there is so much testosterone?

An honest appraisal of your game is required.

Putting may well be the least of your problems.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daa1969

Ok, yesterday i shot an 84, with 41  feel thats the biggest seperation from my game.

Wasn't it you that asked about why there is so much testosterone?

An honest appraisal of your game is required.

Putting may well be the least of your problems.

Why the comments? Is it that it is unrealistic for a 10HC to shoot an 84 with 41 putts, and that this implies that he would have to have gotten around 11 GIR assuming 10-par4, 4-par 5 and 4-par 3?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Sure but how much does that matter when the first putt is 15' instead of 65'.

There is a good possibility I'd probably 2 putt it at 65' or 15'. For some reason my 2nd putt is usually on point even if I mess up my first putt, maybe it has to do with seeing the ball roll IDK, but I could have a longer 2nd putt and probably make it, I just know its going in.

Hey shorty, why are you going off subject to insult me, you know nothing of my game, i simply stated my score! I know my game and where i need work, thats why im in the putting forum! Now, do i have to ask, or do we all know why your called shorty, lol

Hey shorty, why are you going off subject to insult me, you know nothing of my game, i simply stated my score! I know my game and where i need work, thats why im in the putting forum! Now, do i have to ask, or do we all know why your called shorty, lol

On a par 72 course with a standard setup, you would have had to hit 11 GIR to shoot an 84 with 41 putts . Statistically, that's a little too good for a 10 handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Why the comments? Is it that it is unrealistic for a 10HC to shoot an 84 with 41 putts, and that this implies that he would have to have gotten around 11 GIR assuming 10-par4, 4-par 5 and 4-par 3?

It would be highly unusual that's for sure for anyone to have a lopsided great ball striking day and horrible putting day simply because of abundance of better than average opportunities.

My guess is higher handicap golfers probably 1 putt about as often they 3 putt due to missing so many greens.

Actually, it may not be.  Missing so many greens mean he can get it closer (than GIR case) by chipping.  I think this is 'a' reason I average 31+ putts/total.   My ratio between 1 putt vs 3 putt is more like 4 or 5 to 1.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!