IGNORED

Higher Handicap Because of Terrible Putting

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Why the comments? Is it that it is unrealistic for a 10HC to shoot an 84 with 41 putts, and that this implies that he would have to have gotten around 11 GIR assuming 10-par4, 4-par 5 and 4-par 3?

It would be highly unusual that's for sure for anyone to have a lopsided great ball striking day and horrible putting day simply because of abundance of better than average opportunities.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. Thanks for the clarification.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont know what to tell you, i do hit a lot of greens, regardless of what charts say, and again, here we go again questioning me about my game when i only came here for help putting, and this is from our so called supporter, he really loves to throw those charts and videos out there, do you not have an opinion or thought of your own? Oh yeah, if you other posters are interested in learning about these so called experts your listening to you should google them, isnt that right mr angry golfer? Anyway, im out of this sight, too much drama, and i know you say its me, but i have a back bone and will defend myself, problem is, i shouldnt have to, thats what your there for, to prevent this, to all the friends i made, good bye and good luck, and mr supporter, dont bother with the personal messages, im done!

Hey shorty, why are you going off subject to insult me, you know nothing of my game, i simply stated my score! I know my game and where i need work, thats why im in the putting forum! Now, do i have to ask, or do we all know why your called shorty, lol

I am not insulting you. You were "done" a little while back, weren't you?

And I do know something of your game, because you're telling us about it.

You seem to think that your long game is fine but putting holds you back. You seem to think that if you could putt you'd be a very low marker.

My suggestion is that you read comments from people who know better

I know that you are not claiming to be  a good putter, in fact you admit that you're a bad putter, but my issue is that you seem to think that your long game is fine and putting is the only real problem.

You said that you think the main difference between "us and them" (my emphasis) is putting. Putting is where there is the most similarity. But, as you'll admit, 41 putts around is as bad as it gets.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I dont know what to tell you, i do hit a lot of greens, regardless of what charts say, and again, here we go again questioning me about my game when i only came here for help putting, and this is from our so called supporter, he really loves to throw those charts and videos out there, do you not have an opinion or thought of your own? Oh yeah, if you other posters are interested in learning about these so called experts your listening to you should google them, isnt that right mr angry golfer? Anyway, im out of this sight, too much drama, and i know you say its me, but i have a back bone and will defend myself, problem is, i shouldnt have to, thats what your there for, to prevent this, to all the friends i made, good bye and good luck, and mr supporter, dont bother with the personal messages, im done!

You did receive help for your putting. These two threads were shared. Please take a look at them, or post a video of your stroke or take an AimPoint class. You're telling us you're a bad putter, there is only so much we can tell you with the information you've provided.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The "outlier" threads are always kind of weird. I never see these types of golfers on the course and I am out there a lot. My experience is overall skill and score per handicap range is very consistent with published stats. And on my own golf journey at no time have I ever varied from the stats. Once in a while I have an extraordinary round good and bad but my averages have always been consistent with the stats. One thing for sure as I get "better" my PPR are increasing not decreasing. But the difference is very small, from worse than bogey golfer so mid single digit best a year ago a change of just .3 PPR. In day to day golf nothing outside the average is significant just good and bad days and it starts and ends with how well I hit the ball.

Dave :-)

Apparently I'm the anomaly ... my long game developed far sooner than my putting game.    Not that I'm a good golfer, but it's pretty evident if you consider a typical 12 hcp player, it would be fairly evident that my putting was always far worse than the rest of my game (until this summer ... finally after much repetition, I'm developing the feel required to be at least a decent lag and short putter - its been a struggle).    For me, the feel part of the game has always been far tougher ... without question

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time putting, but I'm confident that my putting will improve as my long game improves. I don't feel like focusing on putting will improve my score that much at this point in time. My best holes all around are the ones where I land closer to the hole in regulation. The difference between a 40 putt day and a 30 putt day is likely how close I am to the hole before I start putting. I'll probably consciously track this better in the future, but it won't change my focus.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For those terrible putters, have you ever tried just rolling the ball as though you're bowling? Taking the putter out of the equation, can you not judge how much energy to impart to the ball to get it to stop reasonably close?

I recall reading (LSW?) that most of us can innately figure out how hard to toss a ball to someone at different distances, and that judging putting distances should be innate in the same way. Perhaps if you are able to roll it by hand decently to the correct distance, then you can be more certain it's an issue with the putter stroke or perhaps the putter itself.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

In the last year or so, I had rounds with between 25 putts (0 GIR, 11 1-putts, 7 2-putts) and 43 putts (7 GIRs, 7 3-putts and a 4-putt) and I can say without fail that success is predicated on getting the speed right, whereas failure (i.e. above 36 putts) is undoubtedly caused by poor speed control.  There are days when I feel like I am burning every edge and also lip out a lot, and that can be caused by poorer aim than normal, usually the result of a subtle change in my setup, such as the ball being a bit further back, weight distribution at 50/50 instead of 60/40, etc...

Sure proximity to the hole plays a role, and in fact the more greens you hit, the higher the number of putts per round, unless you are much closer to the hole for the first putt.  This is why having a good short game relieves a lot of pressure on the putter and more importantly, a good approach minimizes the poor chances at putting: don't end up 60 ft away from the hole, and if you do, don't be above it.  Practice lag putting to minimize 3-putts and make sure you sink nearly all the 3 footers and smaller.  My goal is an average of less than 1 3-putt per round (5.6%) and I was there for a while but have now crept back up a bit to 6.8% with the faster summer greens...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Ok so I basically proved my point to myself today. I only had one 3 putt and the bastards put the hole on a steep hill in the corner of the green. It was the worst I ever seen to the point that I barely tapped it and it rolled 8 ft past the hole rotating like a half a turn a second for most of the putt. Anyway, I missed like 9 birdie putts today and some from less than 10 feet, yet I did not 3 putt any legitimate holes. Shot around my handicap with less than stellar ball striking. Speed speed speed.
  • Upvote 1

I have gone thru bouts with terrible putting (yips if you will) and it gets in your head big time.  In a tournament a month ago, I managed to 3 putt 7 greens and actually managed to get 3rd place.  So, the rest of my game was pretty solid.  The tournament before, my putting was bad but not this bad.  After the round with 7 3-putts, a buddy of mine came over and commented on something I was doing.  Next tournament, I only had 1 3-putt and it was from a long distance away.

I think when a person starts 3 or 4 putting too frequently, they need a change.  Change putters, change grip, change stance, change something.  Get someone to film you putting, See if the stroke is coming outside in or you are "swinging the gate" and either shutting it down or leaving it open.

A great ball striking round can be destroyed by bad putting.

A good stat to keep is number of putts.  If you 2 putt every hole, then 36.  Better than 36..doing well.  But, if over 36 round after round, that means at least some strokes on the handicap are caused by bad putting.

I have a buddy that I used to play a lot of golf with.  He was without a doubt one of the worst putters I have ever seen.  He was in the 9 to 11 handicap range.  He got serious about playing.  Now he is one of the better putters I know and his handicap is a 3.  3 putting a green for us amateurs has a tendency to stay with you on the next hole or subsequent holes (shouldn't but it does) and leads to more crap and more bad scores.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time putting, but I'm confident that my putting will improve as my long game improves.

Just have to spend 15% of your time on it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ok so I basically proved my point to myself today. I only had one 3 putt and the bastards put the hole on a steep hill in the corner of the green. It was the worst I ever seen to the point that I barely tapped it and it rolled 8 ft past the hole rotating like a half a turn a second for most of the putt. Anyway, I missed like 9 birdie putts today and some from less than 10 feet, yet I did not 3 putt any legitimate holes. Shot around my handicap with less than stellar ball striking. Speed speed speed.

9 GIR sounds like stellar ball striking to me. ;-) [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/83830/higher-handicap-because-of-terrible-putting/54#post_1184214"][QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/83830/higher-handicap-because-of-terrible-putting/54#post_1184140"] To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time putting, but I'm confident that my putting will improve as my long game improves. [/QUOTE] Just have to spend 15% of your time on it. [CONTENTEMBED=/t/58816/65-20-15-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED] [/quote] Yeah, I suppose I should spend at least a little time on it. :-(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My approach shot typically leaves me pin high with a pitch or chip shot onto the green with a scramble putt for par. When I do get a GIR, typically I have a very long first putt, thus not many birdies. Typically with these I'm putting first in a foursome, and end up with a three putt because that 40 ft putt is tough. I usually get a USGA (U Suck Go Again). If I chip on I save par or two putt. lol. When I manage to land the ball within the 6' of the hole on my approach shot I'll sink the putt 40% of the time. I manage to do that on about 20% of my approach shots. Where my weakness? Is it my putting? It could be better, yes.

Very long lag putts is probably where I should put in the time putting. This and practicing making 50% of 6' putts.

I'd say I need to put time practicing approach shots with my 8 iron through my LW while working on my primary piece with my full swing. In fact this is the assignment from my pro. This and hitting about 20 shots w/ my driver. Then spend maintenance time chipping and putting.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

9 GIR sounds like stellar ball striking to me (

Well, my uncle thought it was stellar and at one point said something like "you've hit almost every green today!" But I did hit a few long irons into the trees, chunked a few a little fat, and missed very badly on my third shots on 2 par 5's where I made the green but not where I wanted to be. Plus I pulled a 7 iron into the trees when I was hitting a choked up shot.

This thread is a jinx I 3 putted 4 times on the front last night.

Dave, quick, open a thread on "Lower handicap b/c of good putting" and post.   That's the only way out of the jinx.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!