IGNORED

Higher Handicap Because of Terrible Putting

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I don't think about that stuff at all. Mostly because you should use some wrists in your putting stroke. There has to be some "flow" to it so you can't do that with frozen wrists. Think about an anchored style of putter. That anchor point doesn't move so there is going to be some freedom with the wrists. Now I'm not saying your putting stroke should be "wristy, like Arnie back in the day, just that you shouldn't consciously try to take out the dynamics of the stroke. Something like this. Note where the butt of the club points during the entire stroke. Here's what you do if you want a pendulum stroke, this is a big part to good speed control and avoiding 3 putts.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Thanks a lot for this. I was once paired up with a guy at a local course that tried to explain that the best way to putt is a short backswing, accelerate, then follow through with a huge follow through. Lol.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks a lot for this. I was once paired up with a guy at a local course that tried to explain that the best way to putt is a short backswing, accelerate, then follow through with a huge follow through. Lol.

Until 18 or so months ago (when I read that very thread) I putted exactly like that.  Well, not a short backswing, but I definitely made a point to accelerate and have a longer follow-through.

It's certainly not the worst way to putt - long backswings with a varied speed, "stabby," swing into the ball with a really short follow-through are much worse I think - but it's so hard to control distance on longer putts when you're accelerating into the ball rather than being consistent and controlling everything with swing length.

Until 18 or so months ago (when I read that very thread) I putted exactly like that.  Well, not a short backswing, but I definitely made a point to accelerate and have a longer follow-through. It's certainly not the worst way to putt - long backswings with a varied speed, "stabby," swing into the ball with a really short follow-through are much worse I think - but it's so hard to control distance on longer putts when you're accelerating into the ball rather than being consistent and controlling everything with swing length.

Yeah I guess the part I left out is that I used to always follow through just like that for years after meeting this guy. It wasn't the worst but I certainly could have done much better

My new putting stroke is basically a pendulum with my shoulders at the fulcrum, and it is much more controlled in distance and direction. Loving it so far. . .it hasn't dramatically lowered my scores by 6 strokes, though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I putt on average 31 putts, still score 86-92. Your putting strokes are relative to accuracy. Chipping for par or worse with a good putter is still a higher score. I need gir to score no matter how my putter is that day. I've had 38 putts and still shot 85 or 29 putts and shot a 94.

Exactly, I don't think the strokes gained is all that good. Although I already knew the answer

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I rarely 3 putt, but seldom 1 putt. I count putts from the fringe as putts or it would really screw up the statistics. My problem is that I can hit them where I aim, I just can't aim well enough. I do the cha-cha all round long. Left - right. Last round I had 10 puts that either lipped out or at least caught a part of the cup without going in. The ball was rolling real well. I tend to over read breaks. I'd be better off basically aiming straight at the hole every time. The course I play most has Tifdwarf Bermuda greens. Lots of grain. Our league course has paspalum greens. I think Satan developed that stuff.

Thats where I feel the pros have us beat.We can 2 putt all day long but we cant make the amount of 1 putts that they do.Now granted im talking about the guys were seeing on tv.Im sure theres half the field thats not 1 putting enough and thats costing them.

Pro's are putting for birdie you're putting for par that's the difference.

That's a good way to sum it up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The pros putt on more consistent greens. The greens definitely have more contour than what we (maybe I should say I) play. When I get used to the speed, I love fast greens. But you have to know where not to leave the ball on your approach or welcome to 3 putts. I sure not many of us have played those hard baked greens that some Majors have. I think 3 putting would be the norm.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The pros putt on more consistent greens. The greens definitely have more contour than what we (maybe I should say I) play. When I get used to the speed, I love fast greens. But you have to know where not to leave the ball on your approach or welcome to 3 putts. I sure not many of us have played those hard baked greens that some Majors have. I think 3 putting would be the norm.

I don't actually find them to be easier to putt on, in fact they usually run so fast it's harder to stick greens. My GIR goes down a lot, and on top of that the greens are much farther away even though they are bigger.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Can't say I've ever played on tour quality greens. Even the courses I've played that have hosted pro events weren't setup in pro event condition when I was there. But the better the greens the better putt, fast or slow.

Dave :-)

• Administrator

Thats where I feel the pros have us beat.We can 2 putt all day long but we cant make the amount of 1 putts that they do.Now granted im talking about the guys were seeing on tv.Im sure theres half the field thats not 1 putting enough and thats costing them.

They're not significantly better putters than you. They make anywhere from 0% to 15% more putts from various ranges than you do.

The average 80s golfer can out-putt a PGA Tour player 20% of the time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They're not significantly better putters than you. They make anywhere from 0% to 15% more putts from various ranges than you do.

20% is not good. Yes they are significantly better putters.

20% is not good. Yes they are significantly better putters.

The average 80s golfer will never hit their tee shots or approach shots better than a PGA Tour player, and the strokes that can be gained through tee shots and approach shots is far greater than what you can gain putting. By hitting better approach shots you will make putting easier, and by hitting better tee shots you make approach shots easier.

Pros aren't that great at putting compared to most. I see many people in junior tournaments who putt as well, or better, than a PGA tour player. I consider myself to be a poor putter, but I know that I still will putt better than a PGA Tour professional with decent frequency. I will not out-do them in ballstriking, but putting I do.

The average 80s golfer will never hit their tee shots or approach shots better than a PGA Tour player, and the strokes that can be gained through tee shots and approach shots is far greater than what you can gain putting. By hitting better approach shots you will make putting easier, and by hitting better tee shots you make approach shots easier.  Pros aren't that great at putting compared to most. I see many people in junior tournaments who putt as well, or better, than a PGA tour player. I consider myself to be a poor putter, but I know that I still will putt better than a PGA Tour professional with decent frequency. I will not out-do them in ballstriking, but putting I do.

Sorry I disagree with you and iacas.I agree putting is the closest skill we can be to tour players over the other shots but pros are still gonna wipe the floor with us in putting also.

Sorry I disagree with you and iacas.I agree putting is the closest skill we can be to tour players over the other shots but pros are still gonna wipe the floor with us in putting also.

From a study done by Mark Broadie. As you can see, even compared to 84-97 golfers they are not significantly worse than PGA Tour players.

Even if you go from 1.6 strokes per putt at 10 FT to 1.8 strokes per putt, comparing Pro's to Am2. That is only 20% better at one putting from that distance. If you average 1.6 from 10 FT you two putt 60% of the time and 1 putt 40% of the time. If you average 1.8 strokes you average 80% two putt and 20% one putt. So 20% better putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Which is the same a saying that a PGA Tour player will putt better than an average 80s golfer 8 out of 10 times, or 800 times out of 1000, which reads a little differently. Not quite as flattering. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!