IGNORED

Higher Handicap Because of Terrible Putting

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

20% is not good. Yes they are significantly better putters.

Uh, 20% is awfully darn good considering you're talking about PGA Tour players.

Sorry I disagree with you and iacas.I agree putting is the closest skill we can be to tour players over the other shots but pros are still gonna wipe the floor with us in putting also.

No, they're going to lose 20% of the time, and that's to a guy who shoots 80 (and not on a PGA Tour level course… a guy that shoots 80 at a typical golf course). The average scratch golfer beats a PGA Tour player 30% of the time.

You can "disagree" all you want but these are bordering on facts…

Which is the same a saying that a PGA Tour player will putt better than an average 80s golfer 8 out of 10 times, or 800 times out of 1000, which reads a little differently. Not quite as flattering.

Compared to, oh, the 0% of the time they'll beat them at most every other golf skill? It's pretty flattering.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Don't pros generally putt on more difficult greens than the average weekend warrior though? I honestly don't know the answer.

Actually, statistics and studies show that it's tougher to make putts on greens amateurs typically play, and everyone (all ability levels) putt better on faster greens (given time to adjust, anyway). I think that's likely because they're smoother - a bumpy green can send even a good putt off-line easily.

And no, the 20% or 30% numbers are based on players putting the same putts.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, statistics and studies show that it's tougher to make putts on greens amateurs typically play, and everyone (all ability levels) putt better on faster greens (given time to adjust, anyway). I think that's likely because they're smoother - a bumpy green can send even a good putt off-line easily. And no, the 20% or 30% numbers are based on players putting the same putts.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've always suspected that I could putt better on those greens due to them being so damn "true."

I am a little confused. Been watching pro golf a lot this weekend. And from watching on TV all the golfers seem to " pop" the ball when putting. Or hit not sure the correct terminology. But I have been practicing the pendulum swing and can see a positive difference ( right now playing around with putting left handed , I am left handed but taught to bat r ight handed which influenced my choice of which side to stand to hit golf ball so been play right handed since my 20's but been playing around with left handed putting with some positive results with right handed grip) so it looks like the pros " hit" or pop the ball. Is this a pro thing or am I just seeing it that way on TV?

• Administrator

I am a little confused. Been watching pro golf a lot this weekend. And from watching on TV all the golfers seem to " pop" the ball when putting. Or hit not sure the correct terminology.

The simplest answer (apologies if this comes off as too direct) is that they're not, and what something seems like to you isn't how it is. Sure, there are a few who "hit" the ball a little bit, but they're in the minority, and even their "hits" are pretty light.

But I have been practicing the pendulum swing and can see a positive difference ( right now playing around with putting left handed , I am left handed but taught to bat r ight handed which influenced my choice of which side to stand to hit golf ball so been play

right handed since my 20's but been playing around with left handed putting with some positive results with right handed grip) so it looks like the pros " hit" or pop the ball. Is this a pro thing or am I just seeing it that way on TV?

Check out this thread: .

Which is the same a saying that a PGA Tour player will putt better than an average 80s golfer 8 out of 10 times, or 800 times out of 1000, which reads a little differently. Not quite as flattering.

Wow! I actually agree with Shorty. I'm drunk and headed to bed.

20% is not good. Yes they are significantly better putters.

And how often is a guy that shoots 80 going to beat a pro in a GIR competition?

You can "disagree" all you want but these are bordering on facts…

Funny thing is the stats are telling golfers that they are better putters than they perceive themselves to be.....And they still choose to disagree. Some people just can't take a compliment ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't actually find them to be easier to putt on, in fact they usually run so fast it's harder to stick greens. My GIR goes down a lot, and on top of that the greens are much farther away even though they are bigger.

Yes, yes typically are harder to hold because the officials are trying to do that. Soft greens are like dart boards for the pros. But when you are on the green, because they are so smooth and fast, all you have to do is get them online. My stroke is so much smoother. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/83830/higher-handicap-because-of-terrible-putting/144#post_1205465"] Actually, statistics and studies show that it's tougher to make putts on greens amateurs typically play, and everyone (all ability levels) putt better on faster greens (given time to adjust, anyway). I think that's likely because they're smoother - a bumpy green can send even a good putt off-line easily. And no, the 20% or 30% numbers are based on players putting the same putts. [/quote] On the greens I typically play, I hope to hit a spike mark or something that will knock the putt back online. :-) I have a friend who is a former pro. He is the best putter I've ever seen. As good as the good ones on TV. Putts always threaten the hole and finish no more than a foot or so past when he does miss. His driver prevented him from making the big bucks.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!