IGNORED

The "Stop Conning Yourself" Thread

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

For the first few years of trying to learn the swing, I stopped keeping stats of mis-hits during practice because I believed THAT was adversely affected my swing. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this thread may actually help their game? (And no, I don't think I'm conning myself about this.)

After posting here that I con myself into thinking I practice correctly, I found myself really working on slow, specific practice the last couple of nights. Tonight I was taking practice swings at 75% - 80%, but could only land about half of those on my target "green". Β So I dropped down to about 50%, focusing almost exclusively on my priority piece.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd just like to report that my con that chipping was the best part of my game and then realizing it wasn't has payed HUGE dividends. I went up and down 4 times tonight. I never would have even gotten close to that if I hadn't been practicing my "up and down" chipping the past few weeks. Someone even complimented me saying "wow, you are on fire chipping" or something like that. It is great to always evaluate your game like this thread is designed to do. I was actually trying to hole all of them and was disappointed when they didn't fall (they were so close).
  • Upvote 1

This is a great thread. Β  I started getting back into golf this year after a very long hiatus, and my first few rounds had a whole lot picking up short putts, not counting penalties, mulligans and basically lying to myself about my score. Β  I started practicing at the range and playing 9 holes once a week and started noticing massive improvements, especially once I stopped keeping score.

My last two times out I shot a 99 and 102, but that was putting out every hole, counting my penalties and no mulligans. Β Now at least I know that I am a terrible putter (seven and six 3 putts respectively) and that I am doing a much better job of keeping the ball in play. Β  Lying to myself and telling people that I shoot in the 80s isn't going to improve my game, but actually knowing where my game is at so I can address my flaws is what is going to help me improve.

BTW, I just picked a number for my handicap. Β  I don't even know what mine is at this point.

Well, Cobra is coming out with the Cobra King Driver ... Callaway with the newest Great Big ...

The theme is some of us work hard at this game, and when it doesn't come to us, we blame it on the equipment.

I did. I kept on searching for equipment magic.

Then I saw myself on video.

It's not the equipment.

So do not con yourself into thinking it's the fault of your "equipment," and do not chase the latest holy grail.

I know that 95% of the time, it is me. Once in a while, I will discover changes in my swing translate into a need for another shaft. Or I will discover that I conned myself into believing a player's fairway was for me ... and then I can't get that 17 degree high COG Tour fairway into the air.

Then I watch myself on video, and I realize it is me.

Find a good instructor and keep grinding on productive practice. I do a lot of sequencing with high lofted irons and wedges at slow speed to change the picture.

Get consistent, and get fit.

And no, this will not work until you know what you are doing with your swing....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Biggest con? Feel isn't real and I'm still not changing what I thought I was enough. Back to work I go...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I'm 5'9 and around 125 pounds. I'm a short hitter and probably always will be (7 iron carries 140 yards). I also practise far too much without proper feedback (i.e. no video) hoping I can feel my way to a good swing. I've been too tight and self-conscious to buy a camera and regularly film my swing at the range.

I'm 5'9 and around 125 pounds. I'm a short hitter and probably always will be (7 iron carries 140 yards).

I also practise far too much without proper feedback (i.e. no video) hoping I can feel my way to a good swing. I've been too tight and self-conscious to buy a camera and regularly film my swing at the range.

First, 140 yards carry with a 7 iron isn't that short in my opinion. To admit that you don't hit as far as a pro is... well, the opposite of conning yourself.

Do you have a cell phone and if so, does it have a camera?

Jon

I'm 5'9 and around 125 pounds. I'm a short hitter and probably always will be (7 iron carries 140 yards). I also practise far too much without proper feedback (i.e. no video) hoping I can feel my way to a good swing. I've been too tight and self-conscious to buy a camera and regularly film my swing at the range.

5'9" 125 is not that small. 140 yards carry with a 7 is not that short. This doesn't sound like a self con. Your con seems to be "I'm small so there's no point in really trying to improve because I don't want to embarrass myself". I say, what have you got to lose filming yourself in an attempt to improve your swing. :-)

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5'9" 125 is not that small. 140 yards carry with a 7 is not that short. This doesn't sound like a self con. Your con seems to be "I'm small so there's no point in really trying to improve because I don't want to embarrass myself". I say, what have you got to lose filming yourself in an attempt to improve your swing. :-)

In all fairness, I am twice the size of this person. If this poster is a male then what do you define as small? And yes I need to lose some weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

5'9" 125 is not that small. 140 yards carry with a 7 is not that short. This doesn't sound like a self con. Your con seems to be "I'm small so there's no point in really trying to improve because I don't want to embarrass myself".

I say, what have you got to lose filming yourself in an attempt to improve your swing.

In all fairness, I am twice the size of this person. If this poster is a male then what do you define as small? And yes I need to lose some weight.

Wait, you're 11'6" 250 pounds? :-D

Seriously though, my son is not that much bigger than this dude, and can drive 20-30 yards farther than you based upon your previous posts. He can't use driver most of the time, just like his other team mates. He uses Cleveland CG Tour blades so his irons are not phenomenally long, but he hits his woods and hybrids pretty far. For reference, he averages 250 yards with his 5W off the tee, and can get it out to 280 sometimes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Seriously though, my son is not that much bigger than this dude, and can drive 20-30 yards farther than you based upon your previous posts. He can't use driver most of the time, just like his other team mates. He uses Cleveland CG Tour blades so his irons are not phenomenally long, but he hits his woods and hybrids pretty far. For reference, he averages 250 yards with his 5W off the tee, and can get it out to 280 sometimes.

You are conning yourself in many ways: [LIST] [*] Thinking that size = distance.-Look at Sadlowski. Or Charles Howell III. Odd since you were adamant about The Dan Plan not being able to do well since he was small. [*] Your son does not average 250 with his 5W.-No way, no how. Only possible way: he plays on concrete or similar. [*] You do not hit the ball as far as you think-Nor as consistently that far as you think. [/LIST] @Lihu dude come on.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Quote:

You are conning yourself in many ways:

Thinking that size = distance.-Look at Sadlowski. Or Charles Howell III. Odd since you were adamant about The Dan Plan not being able to do well since he was small.

Your son does not average 250 with his 5W.-No way, no how. Only possible way: he plays on concrete or similar.

You do not hit the ball as far as you think-Nor as consistently that far as you think.

@Lihu dude come on.

Right, I just stated the opposite, it was Duff that made that assumption. Please read my post more carefully.

He might be conning himself telling me he averages 250, but I'm just reporting it. However, I witnessed him driving a "290" yard green with his 5W which I google earthed to about 280 yards direct line of flight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

You do not hit the ball as far as you think-Nor as consistently that far as you think.

Sure, whatever. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I conned myself into thinking I was not that far off. Β Boy was I wrong. Β Years of self instruction took me from shooting low 40s all the time to upper 40s... Β Wrong way bud!

I need all sorts of help and swing changes, hence why I signed up for Evolvr.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

• Administrator
Right, I just stated the opposite, it was Duff that made that assumption. Please read my post more carefully.

@Lihu , I'm with @Phil McGleno on that one: You said " my son is not that much bigger than this dude," which clearly implies that it matters.

I'm also with him in that Kaili does not average hitting the ball 250 with his 5W… unless he plays on concrete.

I know you don't like to hear things directly, @Lihu , but… I'll stop typing now. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

@Lihu, I'm with @Phil McGlenoΒ on that one: You said "my son is not that much bigger than this dude," which clearly implies that it matters.

I'm also with him in that Kaili does not average hitting the ball 250 with his 5W… unless he plays on concrete.

I know you don't like to hear things directly, @Lihu, but… I'll stop typing now. :-P

I used to con myself into believing I could hit it 300 yards consistently. Β I have measured one drive over 300 yards and the others are closer to 260 or so. Β And that is at elevation.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

Quote:

@Lihu, I'm with @Phil McGlenoΒ on that one: You said "my son is not that much bigger than this dude," which clearly implies that it matters.

I know you don't like to hear things directly, @Lihu, but… I'll stop typing now. :-P

I'm getting a TrakMan Combine sometime this week just so we all know where I really am. It's worth $100. I'll post in my thread.

My wording is off or something? What I meant is that they are nearly the same size, so size is not an issue. "Not that much bigger to me is nearly the same size".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I wasn't saying that he was too small to hit the ball a long way. You said that 5'9, 129 pounds is not small. I was just curious what you would define as small if that is not small. My best friend is Vietnamese and is 5'1 but he weighs 140 and everyone considers him pretty small. But this isn't even relevant so I'll leave it at that. Just wanted to clarify.

Note:Β This thread is 1031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!