IGNORED

The "Stop Conning Yourself" Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Before my recent high launch/ flipping issues I thought I was striking my irons well and above average amateur distance (150 8i carry), probably as on course I only remember the good shots and not the fats and thins.

Now when I'm practicing on the LM I hit 5-10 warm up shots, and then start a measurement test of 15 shots. I use the best 10 for my gapping, but all of them for dispersion. I take the info out of the LM (as it plots it awfully) and copy it into a basic spreadsheet/ graph with a trend line. Turns out all my old "good/ long" hits were overdraws or hooks and my bad ones were short, high and and to the right. The only things I'm concerned about now are the percentage within 5 yards left and right of centre and the distance of the ones in that central range. Whilst also keeping an eye on the percentages left and right.

Physically being able to see this plotted kind of makes things hit home and is why I've altered a few things. If you don't know what your misses are or what the bad shots are it's hard to get rid of them or work out a plan to manage it on course.

Now I've realised that the majority are around 140 for the centre hits, 150 for the overdraws and 130 for the pushes, with about 35% being in that central range, 50% left and 15% right. Work to be done.

I've also been monitoring putting (although I knew this was bad), what I didn't realise is every miss on a level surface is a pull. That also needs looking at.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

One major thing I learned from the LSW clinic is what "Conning yourself" actually means. . .quite simply, if everyone with a handicap above let's say 10 just takes off 10-20 yards what they think they hit a club and select accordingly, their scores would drop quite a few strokes.

For instance, what would you do to your swing if you expect every club to go 10-20 yards shorter?

Learned the term.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My name is Julia and I suck at golf. I think this year has  been a wake up call.

I've conned myself that I can neglect certain parts of my game and only focus on distance. My >50 yd game now sucks. And my putting now sucks. It seems like you have to practice every part of the game.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

My name is Julia and I suck at golf. I think this year has  been a wake up call. I've conned myself that I can neglect certain parts of my game and only focus on distance. My >50 yd game now sucks. And my putting now sucks. It seems like you have to practice every part of the game.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58816/65-20-15-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time I spend way too much time on long game too. It's more fun, that's why. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My name is Julia and I suck at golf. I think this year has  been a wake up call.

I've conned myself that I can neglect certain parts of my game and only focus on distance. My >50 yd game now sucks. And my putting now sucks. It seems like you have to practice every part of the game.

Julia, you have a gift in that you hit incredibly long. I know you have some health issues, am I correct in assuming the parts of your game mentioned above might be less stressful to those injuries? If so, I know what I'd be working on this winter. Good luck.

Jon

What an interesting idea for a thread. Jesus, where to start? Well actually I'm being very honest with myself these days, but it's taken a while. I always used to tell myself I had a good swing, because basically it looked quite nice and people I played with would often say to me: "...well you've got a nice swing!" So I convinced myself that I had a good swing, but then put my very average scoring down to a variety of excuses, or just flat out wondered why my friends would often shot lower than me even though their swings weren't as "pretty" as mine? Only now am I realising that those people saying "nice looking swing!" Weren't actually looking at the mechanics of my swing, or more to the point they didn't know what they were looking at. As for nowadays, the biggest con I have is telling others that I just let bad shots wash over me and I just let them go when that's actually blatantly not true. I will often completely lose my head and after I hit a bad shot will try to compensate by hitting a ridiculously difficult shot, which invariably goes wrong, etc, etc. I then normally lose it for a few holes, play terribly before I do actually reach that point where I don't care, which is when I start playing better golf again. Not really sure how to address this other than just try to take my medicine and not think of the score?

What an interesting idea for a thread.

Jesus, where to start? Well actually I'm being very honest with myself these days, but it's taken a while.

I always used to tell myself I had a good swing, because basically it looked quite nice and people I played with would often say to me: "...well you've got a nice swing!"

So I convinced myself that I had a good swing, but then put my very average scoring down to a variety of excuses, or just flat out wondered why my friends would often shot lower than me even though their swings weren't as "pretty" as mine?

Only now am I realising that those people saying "nice looking swing!" Weren't actually looking at the mechanics of my swing, or more to the point they didn't know what they were looking at.

As for nowadays, the biggest con I have is telling others that I just let bad shots wash over me and I just let them go when that's actually blatantly not true.

I will often completely lose my head and after I hit a bad shot will try to compensate by hitting a ridiculously difficult shot, which invariably goes wrong, etc, etc.

I then normally lose it for a few holes, play terribly before I do actually reach that point where I don't care, which is when I start playing better golf again.

Not really sure how to address this other than just try to take my medicine and not think of the score?

Nice post.

Yes, I agree that it's really easy for us to trick ourselves into thinking we are doing okay, and that bad shots are "just an abnormality". It's kind of counter-intuitive to think that your good shots are bad ones and visa versa.

Once I stopped thinking about scores (not that I ever really did) and more about trying to make my swing with the best mechanics I can muster on the course, golf became more fun. I do try impossible shots to push my envelope, but understand that it is luck if I pull it off.

This is a really hard game, and once we think we are at "some particular level" we get distracted with ego issues.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've actually started not keeping score. I tell my playing partners what I got, who will mark it down but I am really trying not to worry about what I shoot and just concentrate on each shot. As I say, just need to actually try and get to a point that I don't beat myself up if I hit a crap shot! As the duke of Wellington once said: "never reinforce failure!". Think I need to listen to that advice and just try to enjoy myself? You're right though, this is such a stupidly difficult game.

I've actually started not keeping score. I tell my playing partners what I got, who will mark it down but I am really trying not to worry about what I shoot and just concentrate on each shot.

As I say, just need to actually try and get to a point that I don't beat myself up if I hit a crap shot!

As the duke of Wellington once said: "never reinforce failure!". Think I need to listen to that advice and just try to enjoy myself?

You're right though, this is such a stupidly difficult game.

It's only stupidly difficult because we think we can all be pro golfers...  And hold ourselves to their standards.

We are never gonna be in the NFL and we don't think we can throw a 60 yard bomb with a heavy pass rush.  So why do we think we can hit a 330 yard drive then stick the approach shot like the pros do?

Ice Hockey is much harder to learn than golf yet I am fine with never being a pro hockey player...  I am satisfied with my beer league level of play.

Something about golf makes us think we can all be top level players instead of just enjoying the game at our own skill level.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ongle

I've actually started not keeping score. I tell my playing partners what I got, who will mark it down but I am really trying not to worry about what I shoot and just concentrate on each shot.

As I say, just need to actually try and get to a point that I don't beat myself up if I hit a crap shot!

As the duke of Wellington once said: "never reinforce failure!". Think I need to listen to that advice and just try to enjoy myself?

You're right though, this is such a stupidly difficult game.

It's only stupidly difficult because we think we can all be pro golfers...  And hold ourselves to their standards.

No, it's hard no matter what. :smartass:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

No, it's hard no matter what.

It's no harder than throwing a 99 MPH fastball or skating with the puck and firing a wrist shot top shelf.

The basics of golf are as easy as any sport, save for a few like bowling.

It's the ridiculous standards we place onto ourselves that make it seem so much harder.

Tony  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

No, it's hard no matter what.

It's no harder than throwing a 99 MPH fastball or skating with the puck and firing a wrist shot top shelf.

The basics of golf are as easy as any sport, save for a few like bowling.

It's the ridiculous standards we place onto ourselves that make it seem so much harder.

I have zero aspirations for anything remotely close to pro golf, yet I still think it's hard.

Not a great example as only around 8 pitchers can throw a 99mph fastball. http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/8-mlb-pitchers-throwing-100-mph-or-faster-in-2014.html/?a=viewall

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have zero aspirations for anything remotely close to pro golf, yet I still think it's hard.

Not a great example as only around 8 pitchers can throw a 99mph fastball. http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/8-mlb-pitchers-throwing-100-mph-or-faster-in-2014.html/?a=viewall

My point is because we think we can be really good at golf, we put unrealistic expectations on our games and think its hard when we fail.

Do you think baseball is hard when you only throw a 40mph lob?  Probably not because you don't expect to throw anywhere near 90 mph.  But you probably do expect to hit your driver farther and your iron shots closer than a normal rec level.

Tony  

No it's just a really hard game! There are no other sports out there where every playing arena is so different and with so many outside factors that can vary the outcome! Golf seems like it should be simple, it's just "hit the little ball into the hole!", only it's not simple, it's that variety of influences that helps make it so difficult, along with the fundamentals of trying to perfectly align a little flat bit of metal to a little ball at 100mph. I think the reason golf hooks people is because a.) there is no "perfect game" and b.) we are all capable, on any given day of hitting shots a top level professional would be proud of hitting! I've stuck a 200yrd 3i punched cut to 6in before! I've sunk monster double breaking 35ft putts too! And it's that which gets you out again; they might be lucky to come off considering you're handicap and a low % shot, but I've done it. So in my mind it's proved to me that I can play this game! The rest of the round might be crap, but it's those few great shots you play that make you believe and get you out for that next round. I know I'll never be a pro. Hell, I doubt I'll ever be a single figure handicap, but I'm gonna enjoy the challenge to see what I can do. And those great shots/holes along the way are what makes it all worth while.

No it's just a really hard game! There are no other sports out there where every playing arena is so different and with so many outside factors that can vary the outcome!

Golf seems like it should be simple, it's just "hit the little ball into the hole!", only it's not simple, it's that variety of influences that helps make it so difficult, along with the fundamentals of trying to perfectly align a little flat bit of metal to a little ball at 100mph.

I think the reason golf hooks people is because a.) there is no "perfect game" and b.) we are all capable, on any given day of hitting shots a top level professional would be proud of hitting!

I've stuck a 200yrd 3i punched cut to 6in before! I've sunk monster double breaking 35ft putts too!

And it's that which gets you out again; they might be lucky to come off considering you're handicap and a low % shot, but I've done it. So in my mind it's proved to me that I can play this game!

The rest of the round might be crap, but it's those few great shots you play that make you believe and get you out for that next round.

I know I'll never be a pro. Hell, I doubt I'll ever be a single figure handicap, but I'm gonna enjoy the challenge to see what I can do. And those great shots/holes along the way are what makes it all worth while.

That fits perfectly into my unrealistic expectations...

I agree golf is hard but no harder than any other sport is to master.   We just get closer so the frustration grows when we don't succeed.

Tony  

That fits perfectly into my unrealistic expectations... I agree golf is hard but no harder than any other sport is to master.   We just get closer so the frustration grows when we don't succeed.

Golf is the hardest sport. You can think whatever you want about it being easy. I have played them all and excelled in baseball and basketball. I had never played actual tennis matches but in high school in P.E. I could challenge or beat every varsity tennis player but the #1 guy who got scholarship offers for college tennis. Michael Jordan decided to play baseball and played a lot in the minor leagues. I've heard numerous pro athletes say that golf is the most difficult sport to master. There are people who have never played football before joining the team their senior year of high school and end up being an NFL star. It is talent mixed with physical ability that propels these people. Some become great by adding a great practice work ethic. There are WAY less people that have taken up golf as a late teen or young adult and succeeded in making the tour. Yet there are tons of athletes that had never played football or baseball until like their senior years and then excelled.

Golfers almost all con themselves about something . Whatever it is… Admit it. Cleanse the soul. It'll do you wonders.

For the most part, I agree with the first post, BUT I think CONFIDENCE is very important. While the best way to earn confidence is to build on positive results, I think some of the best players in the world are able to con themselves into believing that their game is closer to perfection than it actually is. With that in mind, I am going to say that my short game is close to being good rather than that it has mostly sucked all summer.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Golf is the hardest sport. You can think whatever you want about it being easy. I have played them all and excelled in baseball and basketball. I had never played actual tennis matches but in high school in P.E. I could challenge or beat every varsity tennis player but the #1 guy who got scholarship offers for college tennis.

Michael Jordan decided to play baseball and played a lot in the minor leagues.

I've heard numerous pro athletes say that golf is the most difficult sport to master.

There are people who have never played football before joining the team their senior year of high school and end up being an NFL star.

It is talent mixed with physical ability that propels these people. Some become great by adding a great practice work ethic.

There are WAY less people that have taken up golf as a late teen or young adult and succeeded in making the tour.

Yet there are tons of athletes that had never played football or baseball until like their senior years and then excelled.

I am not saying golf is easy...  Never said that.  And yes it may be the hardest to master.

I just said we think golf is hard because we expect more out of ourselves than we do with other sports.   We expect to compete at a higher level than we do at most rec league sports.

Tony  

Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!