Jump to content
iacas

The "Stop Conning Yourself" Thread

384 posts / 62328 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I did fool myself in my early years in term of handicap as I only tended to register decent to good rounds. But never been that focused on score tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2020 at 8:17 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I personally like to see players build a good short game foundation. It doesn't take much time or skill and can quickly improve your scores. Even with full swing improvements, you will need to rely on short game from time to time. Just don't con yourself like I did for years and tell yourself that your full swing is good enough and you can make up for it with a good short game. You should continue to work on your full swing. That is where the biggest improvements in score will come.

I agree with your first two sentences 100%.

Don't know if I con'd myself 40 years ago when I learned to play but I did not have instruction. I have always been athletic, multiple sports and basically while I did practice short game a lot because that's what the older scratch golfers did. I followed their example as far as routine. What happened from lack of instruction was I learned to "time" my swing and yes it was flipping.

Eventually I got to scratch. My short game was good as I learned to putt on bent grass fast hard breaking greens and I could chip, pitch and flop with a pw and sw. Had no lob wedges back then. 1/2, 3/4 shots were just getting creative based on where my ball was lying and how much green I had to work with. I say all that to say today, much wiser and with instruction I have re-learned how to chip/pitch with hands leading. My long game is better as far as accuracy today in my 50's because I have a repeatable more consistent swing.

 I believe that one needs to learn today about the pivot and how to really compress the ball. Modern technology and instruction could have helped learn how to properly strike a ball and I would have flipped/timed my swing like I did. Difference in me as a flipper playing scratch golf for 25 years was I had a great short game and timing/athleticism. I was lucky and will say consistency was my challenge (I was either at par or posting ugly scores -- no consistency. By mid 40's it didn't work anymore. I had to make a decision and learn how to properly swing the club.  Had I learned to swing the correct way (build lag and release club properly) when I was younger  I might could have gone further than I did. I believe the short game with the simple pitch shot is where I should have learned the proper striking of the ball. Not with the driver on the tee box or fairway woods. 

Edited by BeCu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeCu said:

I agree with your first two sentences 100%.

Don't know if I con'd myself 40 years ago when I learned to play but I did not have instruction. I have always been athletic, multiple sports and basically while I did practice short game a lot because that's what the older scratch golfers did. I followed their example as far as routine. What happened from lack of instruction was I learned to "time" my swing and yes it was flipping.

Eventually I got to scratch. My short game was good as I learned to putt on bent grass fast hard breaking greens and I could chip, pitch and flop with a pw and sw. Had no lob wedges back then. 1/2, 3/4 shots were just getting creative based on where my ball was lying and how much green I had to work with. I say all that to say today, much wiser and with instruction I have re-learned how to chip/pitch with hands leading. My long game is better as far as accuracy today in my 50's because I have a repeatable more consistent swing.

 I believe that one needs to learn today about the pivot and how to really compress the ball. Modern technology and instruction could have helped learn how to properly strike a ball and I would have flipped/timed my swing like I did. Difference in me as a flipper playing scratch golf for 25 years was I had a great short game and timing/athleticism. I was lucky and will say consistency was my challenge (I was either at par or posting ugly scores -- no consistency. By mid 40's it didn't work anymore. I had to make a decision and learn how to properly swing the club.  Had I learned to swing the correct way (build lag and release club properly) when I was younger  I might could have gone further than I did. I believe the short game with the simple pitch shot is where I should have learned the proper striking of the ball. Not with the driver on the tee box or fairway woods. 

Are you saying that you disagree with the rest? Because I never fixed my full swing, and have neither the time nor the energy to do that now, my game is suffering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Are you saying that you disagree with the rest? Because I never fixed my full swing, and have neither the time nor the energy to do that now, my game is suffering. 

No your comments are quality. My only point was if I could do it over I would start with short game in order to build the long game. I think if one can learn to chip/pitch correctly then a good piece of the swing foundation is in place to swing properly long game to short. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BeCu said:

No your comments are quality. My only point was if I could do it over I would start with short game in order to build the long game. I think if one can learn to chip/pitch correctly then a good piece of the swing foundation is in place to swing properly long game to short. 

I don’t think many people would be receptive to starting with the short game. They primarily want hit the ball as far as they can like the guys they see on tv. The point of my con post was that I conned myself into thinking pitching, chipping, and putting was good enough. It’s not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've conned myself into thinking the technique in golf swing can be built fully as carry over from other sports, which holds little truth. However after joining this site I've come into realization that it's most complicated movement I've come across and understanding what affects what requires years and years of studying. I don't know does any other sport have so small margin for error when it come to delivering club face with right path, speed and angle towards target.

I've also conned myself into thinking my strategy regarding playing golf is close to being good. After moving and starting to play on course that has hard, fast greens with thick rough, I've realized my decision making sucks. I keep attacking the pin, short siding myself and really making a mess off good tee shots that I sometimes get. Trying to get my hands on LSW and hopefully becoming better player strategy wise in future.

What I haven't conned myself about is practising the right way, have known I'm wasting alot of time practising the wrong way and hoping to improve that side aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...