IGNORED

I know the sure fire Diet to lose weight. . .

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been on a high fat/low carb/no sugar diet for about six weeks.  I am down from 228 to 213.  Got the idea from a family member who had lost weight on this diet.  Got the book "Eat Bacon, don't Jog" and followed its advice.  The wife bought some cookbooks about the diet.  Ketosis is the key which means that you have trained your body to burn fat for fuel other than carbs.  The most important thing that has changed in my life is that I don't get hungry very often.  Next week I am due for some blood work and will report back on any negative results.  My wife is down from 130 to 115.  Food bill is also down.  I am just now getting over my love affair with chocolate.  Also didn't realize how much time I spent grazing during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

You have one of those moments, where you swear you read some information and you search and search to find it again?  When you were reading it, you made a mental note to come back and read in detail?  

I swear I read on a diet thread, were someone post/quoted an article that your body does not know where you got your food from ... it just sees sugar, card, etc  

Does it ring a bell for anyone else??  Sorry I just can't remember where/when ... heck maybe I dreamed it.

Getting old is not bad ... its just coming at really bad time for me.:-)

Edited by isukgolf

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I swear I read on a diet thread, were someone post/quoted an article that your body does not know where you got your food from ... it just sees sugar, card, etc  

Probably posted by @mvmac :) It sounds word for word something he posted in my Blog ;)

I think it's mostly true. Though depending on the carbs, and sugars they are processed differently. Different sugars are processed differently. Fructose is processed in the liver. If you do get enough fructose, 50 grams per day, then it will be converted into triglycerides. Fruit only is 7% fructose. The problem comes in the form of soda. Which can have 40-50 grams of HFCS, which is 50% fructose. One can of soda = 22-27 grams of fructose. If you drink a crap load of soda then you are just going to start making fat triglycerides directly.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html/

Probably the best stuff is just straight corn syrup. Table sugar is Sucrose which is just 50/50 fructose and glucose. Corn Syrup is straight up glucose, which would just be processed like any other carbohydrate that is broken down into glucose by the body. 

Either way just stay away from stuff with tons of sugar added in.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That is it!  Thanks! 

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Yea that's pretty much it. There's no such thing as good or bad calories. There is a difference in nutrient density in different foods that affects your health, but if you're talking strictly about weight loss it's just a numbers game.

Yup!

Most people struggle with this concept.  You just have to choose better calories so you can eat more and feel full.  If you eat junk and get no nutrition you will suffer.

The only key to dieting is limiting calories to be lower than your body burns.   Either through your metabolic rate or through exercise.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I think it's mostly true.

And just to be clear I was talking about it in terms of weight loss/body composition, not nutrition.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

And just to be clear I was talking about it in terms of weight loss/body composition, not nutrition.

Gotcha! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 7 months later...

I weighed around 180-185 in December. Now weigh around 165, lost about 20 pounds, did not change the diet at all. F**K that. I love food, all kinds, will not, never ever never ever give up bread, carbs, sweets, etc... Food was meant to be enjoyed, you going add life to your years or years to your life?

It's simple, Eat less. Skip a meal here or there, smaller portions. More veggies and fruit. Snack on carrots if you want something crunchy. Limit the soda. The food industry wants you to buy buy buy (especially processed) that means you eat eat eat. When people at work shove food in your face, take it, save it for later, give it to homeless people who ask for food on the subway. The corporate world is terrrrible for trying to stave off weight gain, there is good rich food everywhere in huge quantities, not to mention to snack machine. It takes a lot of discipline to not eat everything in front of you in such an environment. Bear down.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pretty much simple math for a healthy, working metabolism in one's body. 1 pound equals 3500 calories. You want to lose 1 pound you have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume.  In other words if you eat a 1500 calorie salad, you have to burn 5000 calories to lose 1 pound. 

To lose 20 pounds, at some point, 70,000 more calories were burned than what was ingested. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Pretty much simple math for a healthy, working metabolism in one's body. 1 pound equals 3500 calories. You want to lose 1 pound you have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume.  In other words if you eat a 1500 calorie salad, you have to burn 5000 calories to lose 1 pound. 

To lose 20 pounds, at some point, 70,000 more calories were burned than what was ingested. 

Exactly, people try to make it more complicated than it is but it still comes down to calories ingested versus calories burned.  I do believe that calories from proteins are overall better and less likely to be retained as fat than calories from carbohydrates.  

When I drink protein shakes in place of meals that contain fats and carbs with the same calorie count as the shake I lose more weight drinking the protein shakes.  I think our bodies are less likely to go through the effort of converting protein to fat storage unless it's in starvation mode.  

Joe Paradiso

Easy guide that works for me for being healthy and for weight loss:

- Avoid outside food and food out of a box or a can

- limit portions, eat many snacks (fruits, nuts)

- Avoid simple carbs, processed foods and sugar as much as possible. 

- exercise. Just cardio would do. 

All in the same order. 

Was following this very aggressively, lost weight (18lbs) quickly. Now in maintenance mode. 

Eat less, move more. Simple as that. You don't have to track calories, micro macro whatever. You don't have to give up the things you love (Beer!). I lost 75 lbs in 2014/2015, It can be done.

David

• 2 weeks later...
On June 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM, newtogolf said:

Exactly, people try to make it more complicated than it is but it still comes down to calories ingested versus calories burned.  I do believe that calories from proteins are overall better and less likely to be retained as fat than calories from carbohydrates.  

When I drink protein shakes in place of meals that contain fats and carbs with the same calorie count as the shake I lose more weight drinking the protein shakes.  I think our bodies are less likely to go through the effort of converting protein to fat storage unless it's in starvation mode.  

Burning protein (using as energy) takes more energy than fat or carbohydrate. So even if you eat same amount of calories, that calorie in protein form will result in a relatively more weight loss. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite has always been the paleo diet. No sugar and no carbs (well i try to stay under 10g a day). I was able to loose 10 lbs in 2 weeks doing this. I'm also a fan of juicing reboots. I usually can't make it more than 7 days, but what a difference you can feel in your overall health when you do something like that!

It really comes down to knowing your body as well. Some people may do well with low carbs and high fat and others may not. I believe it has gotten so complicated because people look to bodybuilders and trainers and all that to learn how to lose. A trainer is going to have you watch macros. A bodybuilder is going to tell you the same because that's what they are used to.

For me, I know I can go low carbs (less than 40g) just by not eating bread and sugar and I will drop 10lbs easily.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 4 weeks later...

So this guy kept his calorie count down but ate all junk food, the junk food cleanse and lost weight. His barber noticed his hair was thinning, not healthy, but it makes a point. You can lose weight eating whatever, hard thing is keeping the portions down. Granted, GQ isn't exactly the NEJM.

Even though he’d replaced everything remotely healthy with fatty, salty crap “with a garnish of Nerds,” after 30 days he’d lost weight. His cholesterol was fine. He felt fine.

http://www.gq.com/story/holiday-moderation

And I was talking about food companies and their propaganda to make you eat more? Barilla sponsored study says pasta has slimming effects. 

http://www.gq.com/story/pasta-science

http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/07/lawsuit-claims-barilla-underfills-pasta-boxes.html?mid=twitter_grubst

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So this guy kept his calorie count down but ate all junk food, the junk food cleanse and lost weight. His barber noticed his hair was thinning, not healthy, but it makes a point. You can lose weight eating whatever, hard thing is keeping the portions down. Granted, GQ isn't exactly the NEJM.

http://www.gq.com/story/holiday-moderation

And I was talking about food companies and their propaganda to make you eat more? Barilla sponsored study says pasta has slimming effects. 

http://www.gq.com/story/pasta-science

http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/07/lawsuit-claims-barilla-underfills-pasta-boxes.html?mid=twitter_grubst

What is curious on the under-fill lawsuit is it may prompt each state's Weights & Measures departments to go and check the packages in stores. It would be interesting what they find. Each state is responsible for verifying compliance for W&M, not the Feds.  In terms of W&M, if under-filled product is found, the retailer and not the manufacturer gets fined. Walmart or any other large grocery chain getting fined for under-filled pasta would be bad for Barilla. Companies fear the trade as much or more than actual consumers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I had a period of time where I was lactate intolerant. With no dairy in my diet it became easy to maintain my weight.  

I don't really have much fat I can lose though, at 5'11" and 150 lbs. I'm more interested in gaining muscle than losing a little fat.  But I watch what I eat.  Oatmeal with a banana for breakfast is routine, other than that I seldom eat deserts, never drink soda, average less than one alcoholic beverage per week.  For that matter, I often go weeks where the only thing I drink is water and coffee.  I try to not eat much red meat or cheese, though this is where I'm most likely to cheat.

I don't think of myself as being on a diet, but compared to many it would seem that I am.

I have a neighbor and good friend that went to the Dr. for some help with losing weight.  She thought perhaps she had a slow metabolism.  She probably averages 3 glasses of wine/cocktails or so a day with much heavier drinking a couple times a week. The doctor told her to stop drinking alcohol.  She didn't want to do that so he told her to start by not drinking on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  That didn't work out for her either.  So, she found a different doctor.  She lost some weight with medication but has since put it back on.

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!