IGNORED

2015 Wyndham Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mental block?

Tiger has won from behind many times - just not in a major.  For exactly the last 18 holes.  Even in majors he has come from behind, but he did it too soon or too late to "count".  I seem to remember a birdie putt on the 72nd hole to "come from behind" and get into a playoff with Rocco a few years ago.

But it IS kind of funny that the "can't win from behind"meme is so strong while the real story is the incredible closing ability the guy had.  It would be interesting to compare the winning percentage of every guy holding or tied for the lead going into the 4th round in every event since Tiger turned pro, with Tiger's record in events in which he was leading or tied for the lead going into the 4th round.

I'd also guess that Tiger has more come from behind victories than all but a very very few of the current guys have total victories.

You are absolutely correct. I didn't do my homework before commenting and you called me on it, thank you.

After some quick research it would appear that Tiger has come from behind 15 times when trailing after 54 holes. More than most other players have in total victories as you have asserted.

With a 94% close rate he is phenomenal with the lead. When trailing by one or two shots entering the final round he has won an amazing 47% of those tournaments.

I stand corrected.

Go Tiger.

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And smokin' fast. They said they might be pushing 15 yesterday! Downhill, that's like putting down your windshield and trying to stop it on the hood! :-O

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You are absolutely correct. I didn't do my homework before commenting and you called me on it, thank you.

After some quick research it would appear that Tiger has come from behind 15 times when trailing after 54 holes. More than most other players have in total victories as you have asserted.

With a 94% close rate he is phenomenal with the lead. When trailing by one or two shots entering the final round he has won an amazing 47% of those tournaments.

I stand corrected.

Go Tiger.

I think that gets overshadowed a bit by how good he was as a closer. Very rarely did someone catch him when he had the lead. He would just bury people.

And smokin' fast. They said they might be pushing 15 yesterday!

Downhill, that's like putting down your windshield and trying to stop it on the hood!

Not sure if they were 15 or if they are just overly sloped. I think that can make greens seem faster. You can have 15 on a flat green and an 11 on a 3-4% slope and I would bet most people would say 3-4% seem faster but the STIMP would actually be less.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think that gets overshadowed a bit by how good he was as a closer. Very rarely did someone catch him when he had the lead. He would just bury people.  Not sure if they were 15 or if they are just overly sloped. I think that can make greens seem faster. You can have 15 on a flat green and an 11 on a 3-4% slope and I would bet most people would say 3-4% seem faster but the STIMP would actually be less.

They said some were stimpping 15. May well have been an exaggeration, but there's no doubt, they're smokin' fast and absolutely perfect. 18 notwithstanding, that Tiger spent the entire day above the hole, it makes his putting all that more impressive. Hate to think what he'll do if he starts looking at those 20 footers from below the hole.....

In David's bag....

Mr. Brown just paid someone's mortgage for a year. Nice shot. No pressure on the follow up Tiger.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Scott Brown aces #3 in front of Tiger!

In David's bag....

Jesus, Scott Brown. What a shot. Tiger's ballstriking is looking crisp early.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Why the HELL the 30 minute break in coverage?! Damn CBS!

In David's bag....

• Administrator
And smokin' fast. They said they might be pushing 15 yesterday!

They're not 15. They're not even 13. They're sloped, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why the HELL the 30 minute break in coverage?! Damn CBS!

Yeah, really. We get... Brandel's awful play by play of Tiger's round on TGC. Or I could watch Bull Riding on CBS. And I can't imagine who would want to watch bull riding on TV. And I'm sure their viewers can't imagine who wants to watch golf. It's probably the same way I felt yesterday watching Arena Football on TV while little league scores were on the bottom of the screen.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Tiger on #7 tee puts one into the cheap seats.

-- Michael | My swing! 

And smokin' fast. They said they might be pushing 15 yesterday! Downhill, that's like putting down your windshield and trying to stop it on the hood! :-O

I putted on greens probably running atleast 15 yesterday.Champions bermuda I believe they call it.Four putted from 20 feet and it rolled off green.Big greens too.If that is what pros play on every week then they putt lights out although I imagine they are used to it.We all generally play different types so not easy on us.

• Administrator
Tiger on #7 tee puts one into the cheap seats.

Yeah, he's not winning. And I called that (in texts) before he started playing today, so… oh well. Bummer.

Of the remaining nobodies and nearly-nobodies, I don't know if I care who wins.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, he's not winning. And I called that (in texts) before he started playing today, so… oh well. Bummer. Of the remaining nobodies and nearly-nobodies, I don't know if I care who wins.

Pulling for Love but hes out too early I think Blixt gets it do e.

Note: This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!