IGNORED

Backyard Practice Net

Note: This thread is 1474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look at it this way, it is better to hit in the net then not practice at all.

How are you going about improving your game to scratch?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Look at it this way, it is better to hit in the net then not practice at all.

How are you going about improving your game to scratch?[/QUOTE]

Well, I am coming up with a plan now to try to get to scratch. I've been playing golf for about 8 years, the last 2 years I've been more "serious" about my game. I have never had a lesson before, just a lot of tips from other golfers. In the last two years I've dropped my hadicap from a 16 to a 7 by working hard on chipping, pitching and putting. My full swing is decent and my distances are about average...my driver distance average is 265 and I hit an 8 iron 150. Part of my plan to get to scratch, or as close as possible, is to find an instructor who I can work with regularly and focus on whatever drills he suggests for me. (Since I've never had a lesson, I don't know how often I should see an instructor...maybe once a month? Maybe every other week?). I am also working on my fitness. I am 35 years old, and about 15lbs overweight. I am now stretching twice a day, running and eating better to try to get back into the shape I was in 10 years ago. Although I did not start playing golf until I was 27, I was always a decent athlete. I played college football and baseball and I feel like I can be back in shape soon. I added this post about having a net in my backyard because I saw it as an inexpensive/convenient way to work on my swing when I can't make it to the range. I go to the putting green and range on Tues and Thurs after work, and on Sat and Sun I play and practice, so 4 days a week I am working on my game. If I get the net, I can use it on the other days. One thing I wish I could do is play with guys who are better than me. Most of my friends are typical weekend golfers who are satisfied when they break 100 and psyched when they break 90. I'd like to meet up with someone who shoots high 70's on a bad day, and is around par most of the time. I think I could learn a lot by observing upclose how they get around the course.

I recently bought a net and I think it has made a big difference in my ball striking ability. I've golfed all my life but since getting married 15 years ago I'd pretty much stopped playing. Getting back into the game with my sons has been great but regaining my game has been tough. At my best I had a 15 handicap, but now I've been shooting around 100. I bought the net this past weekend and spent several hours working on my swing Saturday. Sunday we played 18 and I shot an 88 (the best round I've had in many a year). I was definitely striking the ball much better and even managed to smack a few drives 300+ yards!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I agree with what has been said already. I built a net cage last summer, it was a bit expensive, but i never liked those pop up nets. I used to play a lot back in high school and college and just recently (within the last three years) got back into playing and the reason I built the cage was because when I was playing a lot I would use a net when I couldnt get to the range and I could definitely feel when and where I was mishitting the ball. Im sure with your low handicap you can tell what your ball flight would probably look like just from feeling your shots. So i say grab a net and if you don't like it, not a terrible waste of money.

----------------------------
In the Grom:

Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana XS
3 Wood: Bubble Burner (needs to be replaced immediately)7 Wood: Steelhead IIIIrons: CG1 Black Pearls 2-PWWedges: 650 - 56 degree; 60 degree Putter: White Hot XG9 33"Ball: ProV1

i was using a net until 1 month ago where i hadn't played a round in like 6 weeks and suddenly when i next played after hiting with a net every day, i suddenly had a huge over the top move and it was slice galore. now i don't use my net.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

yes, i agree it can be dangerous. for my golf class all we do is hit into the net. The problem comes when you've groved something new into your swing and then you go out to play and your groved swing isn't a straight shot. If you look very carefully and aim for a specific target in your net that improves results, and you can tell when you slice bad or hook. BUT i can't tell the difference between a slight draw and fade in the net. Its best to mix real range with net practice.

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

A net is nice to warm up with, get the clubface on the ball, but without any feedback you might be doing more harm than good. My mis-hits are frequently big hooks, which feel perfectly fine off the clubface, and would not be evident in a net.

If you have a backyard and are looking for a practice drill, I would go with something like this:

You can spend hours working on your accuracy from 30 yards away, and the golf mats they make these days are real nice (without tearing up your backyard). I think this would give you much better results than firing full shots into a net with no feedback.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Just to reiterate the previous point, try out those orange Callaway practice balls. They're the only ones of the high-quality variety that I've tried, so there may be some better ones out there. But the feel and weight is reasonable and it gives you everything you need to know about trajectory. They're only $12 a box, so it couldn't hurt to try them.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Where do you find those practice balls?

I just use regular balls, but the practice ones would be good too.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

You can find the balls at Target or Wallmart.

----------------------------------
In my XXV Anniversary 10.5 Callaway Staff Bag
Driver FT-i 10°
Woods Big Bertha 3, 5, 7

Hybrid 4 X-Hybrid

Irons X-20 5-SW

Wedge 60° X-Tour

Putter Odyssey White steel Tri-Ball SRT

• 1 year later...
I've been thinking about getting a practice net to set up in my backyard. Something that's easy to setup (no poles to set up in the ground) and store away. Was thinking about something along the lines of the Callaway Quad Net and saw the SKLZ Rick N Grip. Has anybody used any of these?

Also interested in something like the SKLZ Fly Trap Chipping Net.

• 4 weeks later...
I went for it. I purchased the Callaway Quad Net. Easy to set up. It is a bit of a struggle to fold it back at first but after a couple of tries I think I got it down.
Working well so far but I've been using it for less than a month.

All my Practise net I have had ive put holes in them in under 5min..... I do swing fairly quick. (117-128)

My advice make your own, it's cheeper, usually looks better and the one I made I am yet to put a hole though it.

Just my 2 cents

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

All my Practise net I have had ive put holes in them in under 5min..... I do swing fairly quick. (117-128)

What material did you use?

I'm interested in one of these as it would be a great deal cheaper than going to the range all of the time, the only thing that I'm not sure about is a) how will I know if I am slicing a shot? and b) how far it goes?

I'm interested in one of these as it would be a great deal cheaper than going to the range all of the time, the only thing that I'm not sure about is a) how will I know if I am slicing a shot? and b) how far it goes?

You wont.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I built an 8’x8’ front panel frame out of 1” sch 40 PVC (there is of course the accompanying support structure to ensure the front panel stays upright)… total cost for the frame was about $40.

For the netting I suggest going through these guys: Gourock Netting
This company can make custom nets to any dimensions – great customer service too.
This is the one that I bought.
http://gourock.com/mcart/index.cgi?I...=IT823&code;=13

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Note: This thread is 1474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!