IGNORED

Backyard Practice Net

Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread gave me some ideas. I've got an older flat net with the elastic cord inside the poles so bad I removed it, but now I'm thinking I can get a budget net and double it up with my flat net to end up with something that will hold up okay.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I'd recommend you build your own. There are quite a few websites that give instructions on how to "do it yourself". Netting can be found at a war surplus store, or you can use a tarp, or something similar. I built one out of netting, but hung a large towel to hit into to avoid damage to the netting. You can build it as big/small as you want to fit your needs.

What size is a good size for a net is 7x8 an ok size I was looking at a Callaway tent style net, I've seen them as low as $60 shipped. I've also thought about just buying the netting like you suggested and using PVC pipe to build the frame. But I'm unsure of the size I would need.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This will do the trick....  [URL=http://www.thenetreturn.com/products/pro-golf-package]http://www.thenetreturn.com/products/pro-golf-package[/URL]

Yea I'm sure it would but for that much I could probably get 5 years of passes to the local driving range!

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but am looking for input from someone who has owned a Rukknet Practice Net for awhile and what opinions you may have today as to how it has stood up, any misgivings you may have e.t.c. Not interested in the original pop up. but more in the newer 10 x 7 frame models. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I have a Rukket Hack net 10x7 and love it.   I don't use it as much as I thought I would because I have access to an indoor studio during the winter but I highly recommend it.

• Informative 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

43 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I have a Rukket Hack net 10x7 and love it.   I don't use it as much as I thought I would because I have access to an indoor studio during the winter but I highly recommend it.

I have read all the positive reviews and was just looking for info from someone who has owned one for awhile. It looks a bit flimsy. Early on, I had one of the "tent" type, and ripped the hitting target to shreds in short order after I salvaged it and placed in one of my early attempts (see profile photo). All of the nets/cages I have built have held up very well not-with-standing one that got wind destroyed in a severe storm last year. But the PVC ones are not all that portable as the Rukket Haack looks to be. I have also seen some clones that look identical to Rukket yet cost is lower. I believe one from  Power net or Power sports (whatever) has six ply netting vs the four ply Rukket.

Thanks for the response and recommendation. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Several clients and myself use the cheapest Rukket 10x7 net, $130 on Amazon with replacement nets around $50-60. It works great and having it definitely helps to expand a backyard putt/chip area to allow for full swing practice too.

Like others have said, I find it's more for improving contact consistency than evaluating a player's shots but it's better than just swinging a club. My high school daughter, 4 year-old nephew, myself, and even my wife (never plays) have a better swing today due to having the net in our backyard. My net in about a year old and we never take it down...we'll be getting a replacement net for Christmas. 

D'Angelo.jpg

D'Angelo2.jpg

• Like 1

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Joey G said:

Several clients and myself use the cheapest Rukket 10x7 net, $130 on Amazon with replacement nets around $50-60. It works great and having it definitely helps to expand a backyard putt/chip area to allow for full swing practice too.

Like others have said, I find it's more for improving contact consistency than evaluating a player's shots but it's better than just swinging a club. My high school daughter, 4 year-old nephew, myself, and even my wife (never plays) have a better swing today due to having the net in our backyard. My net in about a year old and we never take it down...we'll be getting a replacement net for Christmas. 

D'Angelo.jpg

D'Angelo2.jpg

Really Nice Set up!  That's one thing I lack is putting greens. Not so sure that S.W.M.B.O.  would tolerate that. I only have about 50 X 15 feet to work with. I put in artificial turf a year or so ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

My wife is getting me the Rukket 10x7 net and the Real Feel Golf Mat the 10"x30" size for Christmas. 

I want to build a platform to stand on so I dont tear my yard up, I was thinking of getting the outdoor carpet/turf and fastening that over top of 2 layers of plywood, and then I was thinking about cutting a rectangle into the plywood for where I could put the real feel mat so it would be flush with the platform.

Any thoughts on that setup?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

I want to build a platform to stand on so I dont tear my yard up, I was thinking of getting the outdoor carpet/turf and fastening that over top of 2 layers of plywood, and then I was thinking about cutting a rectangle into the plywood for where I could put the real feel mat so it would be flush with the platform.

Any thoughts on that setup?

My exact setup, works like a charm.  I found that 3 layers of (i think) 3/4" plywood with some cheap patio "grass" carpet on top was almost exactly flush with the real feel mat.  First layer is the platform, bottom 2 are the supports.  Basically I got a 8'x4' slab of plywood, cut out a 4'x4' "platform" then cut up the remainder into (4) 1'x4' strips.  I made 2 stacks of 2 strips and screwed the platform on top of them as supports.  But if you've got spare lumber around I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get it flush with the mat, that's just how I did it.  I think there are a couple videos in my swing thread that show the platform.  One tip though, when you cut out the rectangle, don't center it like I did, have it forward on the platform.  There's a hole for a tee in the middle of the mat, so if you want to hit driver you'll end up standing way back on the platform.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

15 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

My exact setup, works like a charm.  I found that 3 layers of (i think) 3/4" plywood with some cheap patio "grass" carpet on top was almost exactly flush with the real feel mat.  First layer is the platform, bottom 2 are the supports.  Basically I got a 8'x4' slab of plywood, cut out a 4'x4' "platform" then cut up the remainder into (4) 1'x4' strips.  I made 2 stacks of 2 strips and screwed the platform on top of them as supports.  But if you've got spare lumber around I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get it flush with the mat, that's just how I did it.  I think there are a couple videos in my swing thread that show the platform.  One tip though, when you cut out the rectangle, don't center it like I did, have it forward on the platform.  There's a hole for a tee in the middle of the mat, so if you want to hit driver you'll end up standing way back on the platform.

Just saw your setup in your swing thread, that looks awesome. I do have a couple questions

• Did you find that the 4x4 was big enough? Some reviews I have read for larger pre made mats suggest 5x4 so you have enough room to hit driver, although it looks like you are able to hit driver fine on the 4x4 setup
  • How did you get the patio grass to stick to the plywood? I was thinking about using a staple gun on one end, pull it real tight, then staple gun the other end.
  • What did you use to secure the plywood together, just screws? 
  • Why did you use the couple stacks of lumber underneath to raise the whole platform? My plan was to have 2 sheets of plywood, and only on the top sheet of plywood make the cutout for the RealFeel mat, so that the mat would kind of sit down in the little cutout/hole that would be created
  • Also how did you secure the RealFeel mat to the plywood?

36 minutes ago, klineka said:

Just saw your setup in your swing thread, that looks awesome. I do have a couple questions

• Did you find that the 4x4 was big enough? Some reviews I have read for larger pre made mats suggest 5x4 so you have enough room to hit driver, although it looks like you are able to hit driver fine on the 4x4 setup
  • How did you get the patio grass to stick to the plywood? I was thinking about using a staple gun on one end, pull it real tight, then staple gun the other end.
  • What did you use to secure the plywood together, just screws? 
  • Why did you use the couple stacks of lumber underneath to raise the whole platform? My plan was to have 2 sheets of plywood, and only on the top sheet of plywood make the cutout for the RealFeel mat, so that the mat would kind of sit down in the little cutout/hole that would be created
  • Also how did you secure the RealFeel mat to the plywood?

I have the Real Feel too and created a stance platform. I think for size, it really depends on the surface you put it on. When I had mine on grass, a small pad would rock a bit. So I used a bigger piece of plywood. 

But then I put it on my driveway and found I could make it smaller. Below is my set up. I'm thinking of doing a redesign this winter and make it a one piece. I am going to go with 3 x 5' and have the mat down in a well of sorts. This will allow me to get my feet level with the mat and keep the whole platform level.

Also, keep in mind weight. My platform was with 2x3 and 3/4 plywood. I think I will go lighter because it was kind of heavy.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

28 minutes ago, klineka said:

Did you find that the 4x4 was big enough? Some reviews I have read for larger pre made mats suggest 5x4 so you have enough room to hit driver, although it looks like you are able to hit driver fine on the 4x4 setup

It was fine for me since I hit 5-7 irons 90% of the time, though that extra foot of space would have been nice.  Especially if you're taller than I am (and most people are) and have a wider stance.  My back foot was very close to the back edge since the tee was in the middle of the mat.

30 minutes ago, klineka said:

How did you get the patio grass to stick to the plywood? I was thinking about using a staple gun on one end, pull it real tight, then staple gun the other end.

Roofing nails, they have a wider head, but a staple gun would probably work much better.

31 minutes ago, klineka said:

What did you use to secure the plywood together, just screws? 

Yup, just wood screws.

32 minutes ago, klineka said:

Why did you use the couple stacks of lumber underneath to raise the whole platform? My plan was to have 2 sheets of plywood, and only on the top sheet of plywood make the cutout for the RealFeel mat, so that the mat would kind of sit down in the little cutout/hole that would be created

I raised it to get it flush with the mat.  It's close to 2.5" thick so I needed three layers of plywood just to get it about flush with the mat when it's sitting on bare concrete.  Even then I cut up a box and put a layer or two of cardboard under all the wood to really get it even, which might not be necessary if you use thicker carpet than I did.  Mine was paper thin.  If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the mat would sit on top of the first layer, which would put it close to 1.75" above your standing surface, FYI.

34 minutes ago, klineka said:

Also how did you secure the RealFeel mat to the plywood?

I didn't, it just sits in the cutout.  I cut it pretty close to size so there isn't too much play. 

Hope this helps.  If you want I can whip up a little diagram and PM it to you.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

25 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

It was fine for me since I hit 5-7 irons 90% of the time, though that extra foot of space would have been nice.  Especially if you're taller than I am (and most people are) and have a wider stance.  My back foot was very close to the back edge since the tee was in the middle of the mat.

Good to know, and yeah I'm pretty tall, 6'3-6'4, and I would like to be able to hit driver, even though most of the time it will be technique work with a mid iron, so I will probably make mine 5x4.

25 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

I raised it to get it flush with the mat.  It's close to 2.5" thick so I needed three layers of plywood just to get it about flush with the mat when it's sitting on bare concrete.  Even then I cut up a box and put a layer or two of cardboard under all the wood to really get it even, which might not be necessary if you use thicker carpet than I did.  Mine was paper thin.  If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the mat would sit on top of the first layer, which would put it close to 1.75" above your standing surface, FYI.

Ok so it sounds like I will use 3 pieces of plywood for additional thickness.

Below is what I'm thinking. I was thinking of making it so the RealFeel mat fits completely inside the plywood like this (these are not to scale)

image.png

And then when viewed from the side/cross section, it would look like this, where it would sit on the bottom piece of plywood, and then the top 2 layers of plywood would be cut out to fit the RealFeel mat. (But technically you wouldn't see the side of the mat like you do in the pic below because it would be fully enclosed inside the plywood)

image.png

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1

no end to many ways. I have done just about everything imaginable, platforms, separate standing mats, inlays, moveable "divot" mats. For attaching carpet, mat, artificial turf to plywood, I would suggest carpet adhesive. If you use screws or staples to fix the hitting mat to the platform, the mat will tear through. I once considered placing a horse stall mat under the turf mat for better feel, but they are very heavy and if you go used.....well.....not exactly aromatic. Unless you have a very stable foundation, plywood will rock, hence the placing of "boards" underneath the ends and center (to prevent bowing). As far as tee hole, you can always drill through the platform/mat wherever you wish. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I have the Real Feel too and created a stance platform. I think for size, it really depends on the surface you put it on. When I had mine on grass, a small pad would rock a bit. So I used a bigger piece of plywood. 

But then I put it on my driveway and found I could make it smaller. Below is my set up. I'm thinking of doing a redesign this winter and make it a one piece. I am going to go with 3 x 5' and have the mat down in a well of sorts. This will allow me to get my feet level with the mat and keep the whole platform level.

Also, keep in mind weight. My platform was with 2x3 and 3/4 plywood. I think I will go lighter because it was kind of heavy.

liking the garage door setup, I can imagine it would not be too difficult to affix a "roll up" mechanism, like an old fashioned blind shade. Not feasible for me though as my garage faces the street inviting neighbor critics/complaints.

"James"

This is the look I'm going for/intend to copy. The guy that built this put 2x4s underneath the plywood, I dont quite understand why. My platform will either lay on my gravel patio area or on the grass in my backyard when I am using it. Will the 2x4s help it from slipping?

image.png

image.png

Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!