IGNORED

Trackman Combine

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What it did for me was get more accurate data for everything I do. Honestly I knew I was a poor ball striker I expected to be humbled. But seeing what I really do changed the way I game plan. 

I had to get a bunch of rounds posted before stats and averages were a stable representation. New users need to play and sign as many rounds as they can. My numbers bounced around. 

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

What it did for me was get more accurate data for everything I do. Honestly I knew I was a poor ball striker I expected to be humbled. But seeing what I really do changed the way I game plan. 

I had to get a bunch of rounds posted before stats and averages were a stable representation. New users need to play and sign as many rounds as they can. My numbers bounced around. 

That's the thing, I know roughly how far I hit on the course, and that I am prone to making mistakes. I still don't really see how knowing an exact club yardage calculated over dozens of rounds could actually help with my decision making? Mishits on my drives and approach shots is keeping my scores high, but I already know this. My short game shots are not really helping all that much either, I make just as many mistakes there too. GG is not really going to help me work around mishits. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That's the thing, I know roughly how far I hit on the course, and that I am prone to making mistakes. I still don't really see how knowing an exact club yardage calculated over dozens of rounds could actually help with my decision making? Mishits on my drives and approach shots is keeping my scores high, but I already know this. My short game shots are not really helping all that much either, I make just as many mistakes there too. GG is not really going to help me work around mishits. . .

Sorry if I didn't catch this in your OP, but what do you expect the Trackman Combine will do to help your mishits? I'm not being argumentative @Lihu, only curious.

Jon

47 minutes ago, Lihu said:

My guess is you don't know what you do on the course, your perception is flawed. Not just about how far but where. 

I thought I was longer but I also thought I knew my miss. Would you believe it I miss left and right equally? That was shocking to me. 

But more than just establishing averages as you sign rounds you see how certain holes affect club choices. For example hole two at my home course plays uphill. I always assumed I missed short because I mishit the ball. I missed short because even one club wasn't enough, turned out to be about 2.5 clubs more. Now if I miss it's left or right not short and I get up and down easier from pin high. 

Trust me your "roughly" isn't close. It's not a bad guess you just can't see it because well you can't see it. GG puts it before your eyes. All of it. 

20 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

My guess is you do t know what you do on the course, your perception is flawed. Not just about how far but where. 

I thought I was longer but I also thought I knew my miss. Would you believe it I miss left and right equally? That was shocking to me. 

But more than just establishing averages as you sign rounds you see how certain holes affect club choices. For example hole two at my home course plays uphill. I always assumed I missed short because I mishit the ball. I missed short because even one club wasn't enough, turned out to be about 2.5 clubs more. Now if I miss it's left or right not short and I get up and down easier from pin high. 

Trust me your "roughly" isn't close. It's not a bad guess you just can't see it because well you can't see it. GG puts it before your eyes. All of it. 

Yes, I don't know to within a yard or two. My guess is probably at best 10 yards, my worst is roughly 20 yards. It's more often than not that I make near greens (within 20 yards). I know how short or long I am, and always play assuming I hit short. If I hit great on the driving range, I don't take those assumption of distances out to the course. To be honest, I can't predict if I am going to be closer choosing a club or up or down anyway.

I'm a feel player, and I regularly play 6 courses. Whenever I go to a new course, I take my rangefinder with me and use it accordingly. Even then now so much. . .I often mooch distances from other players.

Not going to knock those that use GG, but it seems to be more beneficial for better players. I even discussed the topic with some of the golf store salesmen whom I often see out on the range or course, and even they do not use the system. The main reason is that they don't know how it benefits their game.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

All I will say is you're wrong, sorry you are. There is a reason everyone here that uses it says the same things. It's not just a matter of yards. 

For anyone that read and practices what they learned in LSW devices like GG is the companion tool. It's what we need to honestly assess our games. 

16 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

All I will say is you're wrong, sorry you are. There is a reason everyone here that uses it says the same things. It's not just a matter of yards. 

For anyone that read and practices what they learned in LSW devices like GG is the companion tool. It's what we need to honestly assess our games. 

Wrong about what? That I consider myself a shorter hitter on the course?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It's beneficial for higher handicap players too. It's just that some higher handicap players don't "listen" to the results. 

For example, one high handicapper might get the results in multiple rounds that are indicative that while they hit their driver a good distance, it's way off target about 80% of the time and costs them strokes in the long run. I've been in that boat. I listened to the data and went to a 3W and 5 iron off the tee and hit over 70% of fairways. The problem was that my score didn't improve because, despite having a good angle at the green, I duffed my second and sometimes third shots. I should have had more GIRs, but I suck.

GG helped me identify that I also lack distance control. 

Now what I'd like to have is the ability to archive last year's data and start fresh next year.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Wrong about what? That I consider myself a shorter hitter on the course?

Wrong that you think it won't help because you are a feel player. We are all feel players. 

Forget about yards, forget about feel. GG is a big picture tool not a how far do I hit it tool. It reveals what we actually do not what we think we do. 

You don't have to use it. But pretty much everyone that does learns what they thought or felt was a partial truth. 

3 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Wrong that you think it won't help because you are a feel player. We are all feel players. 

Forget about yards, forget about feel. GG is a big picture tool not a how far do I hit it tool. It reveals what we actually do not what we think we do. 

You don't have to use it. But pretty much everyone that does learns what they thought or felt was a partial truth. 

I didn't way I was not going to get one, just waiting for when I can get it for the $75 at Dick's (with my coupons and gift cards). Just need to find one that still has one in stock.

Not desperate to get one immediately, that's all. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 1 year later...

I actually did my first combine today... It was an indoor simulator and I wasn't feeling great so I took the results with a grain of salt... a hefty grain of salt (looking at you indoor trackman).

I scored a 75.6 which isn't bad, but I know I can do much better. I fall right in the range of collegiate golfer (which I am), but am a bit skeptical of the ranges they give for the pro players. The many players for top schools at the D1 level could easily score an 83 or so in the combine, so it begs the question, what is really the difference between a college player who can shoot 65, a mini-tour player who didn't make it who can shoot 65, and a success PGA Tour pro who can shoot 65?

At the top level, the margins become so thin, one bad shot can be the difference between living the dream or always asking "what if?"

Anyway, I like the idea of the trackman combine for competitive practice, you feel a little pressure and are constantly trying to beat yourself. However, I don't think I will do it again unless I have the opportunity to do it outside off of grass.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2017 at 9:28 PM, Will_M said:

I actually did my first combine today... It was an indoor simulator and I wasn't feeling great so I took the results with a grain of salt... a hefty grain of salt (looking at you indoor trackman).

Great, cool!

I scored a 75.6 which isn't bad, but I know I can do much better. I fall right in the range of collegiate golfer (which I am), but am a bit skeptical of the ranges they give for the pro players. The many players for top schools at the D1 level could easily score an 83 or so in the combine, so it begs the question, what is really the difference between a college player who can shoot 65, a mini-tour player who didn't make it who can shoot 65, and a success PGA Tour pro who can shoot 65?

D1 level golf is really good!

Maybe the difference between a D1 is consistency and the difficulty of the courses you play and the pros play?

At the top level, the margins become so thin, one bad shot can be the difference between living the dream or always asking "what if?"

Makes sense.

Anyway, I like the idea of the trackman combine for competitive practice, you feel a little pressure and are constantly trying to beat yourself. However, I don't think I will do it again unless I have the opportunity to do it outside off of grass.

Agree, I think the combine is a great way to compare yourself to other golfers.

I'm finally planning on doing one in May sometime. I want to do a before shot before joining on line instruction, then one more after a year or so.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 5 months later...

Didn't do the combine. Guessing there's no point comparing myself with a "pro" :-P

Got measured for SS and distances. Not really any different than on the course, or what I already knew from Game Golf. If anything they were more consistent using a mat. It was free though. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!