IGNORED

Backswing Sequence: What Leads the Way for You?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you feel leads the way in your backswing?

• Upper Body (chest, shoulders)
    • Lower Body (hips, legs)
    • Arms/Hands
    • Nothing, I don't think about it

Arms low and away. My two biggest mistakes are bringing the club outside the line or snatching the club up. Thinking low and away has helped to eliminate this.

I voted "arms/hands" - but that's something I'm trying to work on.  When I let my upper body lead, I get a much better full turn in the backswing and better contact.  This is my #1 swing thought right now.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted upper body, but I really try to keep my shoulders, torso, arms and hands "connected" and starting out as a single unit.

Pressure on the inside of my right foot occurs at almost the same time as my upper body starts to move - like I'm bracing against the turn????

Kind of a tough question for me, probably too many swing thoughts.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

With your hands?

arms?

shoulders ?

hips?

body?

I'm curious on how many different ways people take the club back.

t

Moved your post here.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hands.  I play best when my hands take the club back...a little more with the left hand...and my head and eye line stay steady.  Its a relaxed, shorter backswing with less tension and my body just reacts.

When I fall into taking the club back with my body or making too big of a backswing, then my hips sway back a little bit, my shoulders don't turn enough, and my back starts to hurt a lot.  I would explain it as reverse secondary axis tilt....not good.

I would explain it as reverse secondary axis tilt....not good.

Yeah don't do that, keep the turning rates going all the way to the top (whatever you have to feel to accomplish that).

Mike McLoughlin

I have redone my swing completely. My right forearm takes the club back as my right hand bends straight back and up as my forearm folds as my body pivots. My right arm moves into impact with bent right hand and fires down the line. It's a simple swing that is very accurate and long...No transition no sequencing...just nail the ball.

I voted arms/hands, but my backswing is still a work in progress. New backswing feel doesn't change my takeaway feel, so it's still the same.

Can't change my vote, but I'm doing the takeaway feel with the shoulders now. Trying to do less with the hands/wrists at the top means doing less with them at the start for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hi guys, New here. I voted hands and arms because the new thing I'm working on at the moment is as I take the club away my main focus is that when I have got to about 2 or 3 feet away I'm making sure my club handle is still pointing at me and not towards the target. By doing this I feel my shoulders turn automatically, stops me swaying and get a better coil. It's not taking away with the hands just focusing on that handle being straight and eliminating any early wrist movement!

Hands. Lacking supervision, I find it easy to unintentionally develop patterns with my hands over time that lead to errors, and subsequent confusion in my swing.

Hands need to lead pre set up only then can you initiate the right takeaway.

That feel works for you but it's certainly not the only way. Let's try to not get dogmatic about it.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Hands need to lead pre set up only then can you initiate the right takeaway.

Disagree. This thread is mostly concerned with feels players use on the backswing but there is no "one way" to do it. What if a player already had too much pre-set during the takeaway?

Golfers can have some float load on the takeaway (left) or have an earlier set of the right arm/wrist (right) and both backswing can be very functional.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Disagree. This thread is mostly concerned with feels players use on the backswing but there is no "one way" to do it. What if a player already had too much pre-set during the takeaway?

Golfers can have some float load on the takeaway (left) or have an earlier set of the right arm/wrist (right) and both backswing can be very functional.

I have found otherwise primarily irons not so much the driver but some pro's do Like Rory. You can take a handful of examples of good players doing it one way or another and playing very well but generally speaking you need to bend your knees before you jump maybe there is someone out there who can jump stiff legged but it's helpful to do so just like a little pre set is going to help the club go back correctly fade or draw.

That feel works for you but it's certainly not the only way. Let's try to not get dogmatic about it.

Ha ha yeah ok :beer:

I have found otherwise primarily irons not so much the driver but some pro's do Like Rory. You can take a handful of examples of good players doing it one way or another and playing very well but generally speaking you need to bend your knees before you jump maybe there is someone out there who can jump stiff legged but it's helpful to do so just like a little pre set is going to help the club go back correctly fade or draw.

Ha ha yeah ok

Bending knees and jump are not the same action as taking the club back in the backswing.

@SavvySwede is correct. Feel is unique to every golfer. When you give advice take that in mind. If you tell them to feel something in their swing it could possible cause the club to do something completely different than another person.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!