IGNORED

Picking up a Ball in Play

RayG
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Did you walk back to the tee box and hit 3 off the tee?" Technically... no. And I was wondering how long it would be before someone asked. Informal match, and it's understood on a weekend morning with plenty of folks playing you don't go back and stack up the next few groups because of someone else's idiocy. At least I did add a stroke- least I could do at the moment.

Correction... Technically I didn't HAVE to go back to the tee if it was 'stolen'... BUT -because I couldn't be SURE it was stolen OR lost (although fairly sure it was stolen). I took what I thought was good enough for the situation. Drop near as I could figure to where it should have been and add a stroke. As I said, casual round among family and friends.

Reminds me of this time I am out at Kittyhawk in Dayton. I hit my tee shot way right on this par 5 and it ends up on the other par 5's fairway. As I am walking the ranger drives up and picks up my ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Correction... Technically I didn't HAVE to go back to the tee if it was 'stolen'... BUT -because I couldn't be SURE it was stolen OR lost (although fairly sure it was stolen). I took what I thought was good enough for the situation. Drop near as I could figure to where it should have been and add a stroke. As I said, casual round among family and friends.

I will say that the other day I was convinced as I could be that someone in the fairway picked up my Uncle's ball to the point where we were about to give him a free drop (very casual players....I wouldn't do that bc I maintain a handicap) and after a ton of searching we found it after giving up. It was about 10 yards further away than we thought it could have been, buried in the rough.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...after a ton of searching we found it after giving up. It was about 10 yards further away than we thought it could have been, buried in the rough.

I think this, or never finding the ball even though it did not get picked up by someone else, happens more often than people think. No doubt the balls sometimes are picked up by other players but I would guess a decent percentage are just never found.

I understand peoples skepticism but some people go out of their way if they even see anyone near the area where their ball might have landed. Not so long ago I was having a bad day on the course and I blocked a shot into trees between 2 fairways. I am pissed off that my ball is in a tough spot but was determined to get back in play. I go through my pre-shot routine and am in the zone just starting my backswing when some guy hurriedly interrupts with 'make sure that is your ball'. I stop my swing and growl. Never looking up at the guy I sarcastically say 'were you playing a Wilson Staff with a blue J and three blue dots around the ball name? No? then I guess this ain't your ball'. I then hit and walked away a little more pissed off then when I went in for that shot.

IMO, when someone might be hitting your ball but you have now way of knowing if it is your ball then you just need to suck it up if they are already in the process of taking a swing at it.

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!