IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

Jordan is running out of steam. Love the kid, really do. My next "tiger" but Jay day is on a roll. Day wins the fed ex with Jordan not getting past the BMW day will take POTY but if Jordan is around at East lake then Jordan will take the honor

Imo, it's Day if he clinches the cup. He's had strong performances in the majors overall, aside from actually winning one of them.

His performance in the majors is no where near Spieths. He needs to win not just the Cup but the last three events to have a chance. The majors are always weighted very heavily when it comes to voting.

If Day wins this week and at Eastlake to win the Cup, and Spieth misses cuts, I think the players go for Day based on the fact that Day has been around, and Spieth is a newcomer.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Day wins this week and at Eastlake to win the Cup, and Spieth misses cuts, I think the players go for Day based on the fact that Day has been around, and Spieth is a newcomer.

If that happens the players may choose Day but it will be because they feel he had the better season. Length of time on tour will play absolutely no role; both players are highly popular with their peers. Curious where this thought came from, have you heard a player mention it?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

If that happens the players may choose Day but it will be because they feel he had the better season. Length of time on tour will play absolutely no role; both players are highly popular with their peers. Curious where this thought came from, have you heard a player mention it?

It's the old "paid your dues" argument.

Not saying it's valid; it's rationalizing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It's the old "paid your dues" argument. Not saying it's valid; it's rationalizing.

It's obviously a different sport, but that happened one year in the NBA When they gave the MVP to Karl Malone instead of Michael Jordan.

It's obviously a different sport, but that happened one year in the NBA When they gave the MVP to Karl Malone instead of Michael Jordan.

That's kind of what happened on tour in 2008. Tiger won four tournaments (including the U.S. Open) despite missing most of the season due to injury, but the players voted Padraig Harrington as POY for winning the last two majors that year.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 2 weeks later...
Jordan Spieth is playing great at the BMW after two missed cuts, but Jason Day is on a completely different plane of existence going into the weekend. To those who were sure Jordan was a lock for player of the year a few weeks ago, does JD's performance (should he continue his tear) compel you to change your mind?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Jordan Spieth is playing great at the BMW after two missed cuts, but Jason Day is on a completely different plane of existence going into the weekend. To those who were sure Jordan was a lock for player of the year a few weeks ago, does JD's performance (should he continue his tear) compel you to change your mind?

Spieth homer here but yeah, the way JDay is closing the season is putting some doubt in my mind. Jordan can't seem to beat Jason heads up right now. Love Day too so it's all good. We're the beneficiaries. Golf has never been as good as it is right now. Was fun to have the Big 5 in the oughts, but top 5 now so much better.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I never saw Speith be this dominate for this long, like Jason Day has been as of late.   Give POTY to Day.

I'll wait til after next weekend. Spieth is still right there in terms of Fed Ex Cup.

I watched Day hit an iron for his 2nd shot on a par 5 from a location that was slightly closer than Spieth and Fowler who both hit drivers off the deck.  Day guy is crazy long, especially for his size and I expect he and Jordan will be the final pair at a lot of tournaments next year.

Joe Paradiso

Assuming Day wins this week, his resume for 2015 will be....
* BMW Championship
* Barclays
* PGA Championship
* Canadian Open
* Farmers Torrey Pines

Spieth's 2015 resume...
* Masters
* US Open
* Valspar Championship
* John Deere Classic

So they've each won two "normal" Tour events, so those cancel out.  One of Spieth's majors is canceled out by Day's PGA.

So if you're willing to vote Day as POTY over Spieth, you're saying that winning two playoff events more impressive than winning a major?  No way would I agree with that.  Every single player on Tour would happily trade two playoff wins for a major title.

And this isn't even factoring the two players' years beyond just wins.  Spieth has obviously had the better overall year in the majors, and in fact one of the very best major results seasons of all time.  Unless Zach Johnson had also won the PGA, Spieth's had POTY wrapped up for a long time now.

"Winning the FedEx Cup" in no way equates to "being the best player across the season". Most recent FedEx Cup winners weren't even ranked in the top ten on the season-long rankings entering the playoffs, but just hit a streak in the right month. Indeed, most have actually won the FedEx Cup just by virtue of winning the Tour Championship, such is the way that event dominates the scoring system in the end.

On the pre-playoff FedEx Cup rankings, Spieth was on 4,169 points, Day was on 2,459. That's a pretty good reflection of the relative years to that point. Is winning 2 of the playoff events a big deal? Well, Billy Horschel did just that last year, and I expect few golf fans remember that now, let alone in 5 years' time.

Note: This thread is 3100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!