IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

Doesn't matter because Day is now in Jordan's head. I

I think you're right. Day has spanked him h2h 6 or 8 straight rounds now. That's hard to overcome.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jordan Spieth is playing great at the BMW after two missed cuts, but Jason Day is on a completely different plane of existence going into the weekend. To those who were sure Jordan was a lock for player of the year a few weeks ago, does JD's performance (should he continue his tear) compel you to change your mind?

No. I posted way back in this thread even if Day wins them all and shoots a 59, no. Imho, these are limited field silly season events. Day is playing lights out, no doubt but I think people are too much in the moment. I hope Day wins 2 majors next year and the PoTY.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Doesn't matter because Day is now in Jordan's head. I

I think you're right. Day has spanked him h2h 6 or 8 straight rounds now. That's hard to overcome.

I think there is some truth to this but I also believe Spieth is a bit burned out right now.  I listened to his last interview and I think Jordan is realizing golf is a fickle world, especially when it comes to the media.  In at least two different points in his interview Jordan mentioned that they are flavors of the week and all the hype and attention that was placed on Jordan when he won his Majors is now being placed on Day.  I think it has impacted his confidence and ego to some level that for now he's not the guy they are talking about being the next Tiger.

In terms of Day, I have been paired up with guys who hit the ball substantially longer than I do, it's a bit intimidating.   At first you are in awe that someone can hit the ball that much further than you but then the reality sets in that in order for you to beat this person you have to hit almost every shot perfect because of the distance advantage they have.  I know I'm not close to a scratch handicap, no less pro, but the mental impact is that you feel more pressure on every shot, especially the ones when they mess up and you see an opportunity to post a lower score on that hole to regain some ground.

I think the combination of being burned out after a tough season, being relegated to yesterdays news and witnessing the distance advantage Day possesses has taken its toll on Jordan as he doesn't seem to have the fire or confidence he had earlier in the season.

Joe Paradiso

Jordan walking around muttering makes it seem he's more than burned out.

I'd be muttering too if I was partnered up with Day and Fowler.  It has to suck being the shortest guy off the tee even if you are a pro.

Joe Paradiso

I think he knows Day has staying power. Jason appears to be able to play as OWGR #1 for more than a week. He has basically stolen Jordan's thunder. And it coincides with the fickle media bailing on him. He has to be feeling the heat we know he is he's saying it.

Dave :-)

Jason Day has to be the Player of the Year...

He has dominated golf since July and is doing so in record breaking fashion.  Day is easily the best golfer this year.

Jordan got lucky with DJ choking at Chambers Bay or else this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

My vote was with Jordan 3 weeks ago but now watching Jason dominate the rest of the best golfers, I think I might change my vote.

Jason has the power in his game that Jordan just doesnt have,

Now that his putting and precison on the green matches up to his tee game, I think he could be number #1 for a long time.

Jordan got lucky with DJ choking at Chambers Bay or else this wouldn't even be a discussion.

I guess Spieth was also lucky by hitting a great shot on the last hole and making a birdie ;-)

Also if Dustin had made the short putt they would have gone into a playoff.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Jason Day has to be the Player of the Year...   He has dominated golf since July and is doing so in record breaking fashion.  Day is easily the best golfer this year. Jordan got lucky with DJ choking at Chambers Bay or else this wouldn't even be a discussion.

1st 2 paragraphs, I see the argument. Last one ridiculous.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Regardless of PoTY opinions, Day is en fuego! BTW, that Woods did it 6 times is mind blowing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Spieth wins next weekend, he's POTY. Same probably goes for Day. If neither win, it's a coin flip that I think should still go to Spieth. Day is on another planet right now but it can't overshadow Spieth's incredible major run and entire season (vs. Day's 2 months).

Steve

Jason Day has to be the Player of the Year...

He has dominated golf since July and is doing so in record breaking fashion.  Day is easily the best golfer this year.

No. He's only won one more tournament than Spieth and 1 less major. Spieth is clearly POTY.

I didn't think Day would have a shot at POTY, but if he wins next week as convincingly as he did this week it's going to be a tough decision.  Two majors is huge and still slightly favor Spieth but it seems so long ago compared to Day who has practically owned the PGA Tour the last few months.  I'd like to see Spieth get his head right and win it but at this point I don't think Spieth at 100% can beat Day at 100% because of the distance advantage Day has.

Joe Paradiso

I guess Spieth was also lucky by hitting a great shot on the last hole and making a birdie

Also if Dustin had made the short putt they would have gone into a playoff.

I don't know. I get that Dustin has to make those putts. I think Dustin did miss like 5-6 putts inside of 8 FT in that final round. If he converts half of them then there wouldn't even been talk about Spieth that day.

Spieth wins next weekend, he's POTY. Same probably goes for Day. If neither win, it's a coin flip that I think should still go to Spieth. Day is on another planet right now but it can't overshadow Spieth's incredible major run and entire season (vs. Day's 2 months).

I am going to say it's going to Day. He's won more tournaments with better fields.

Jason Day: 5 Wins, 2 Majors. 3 of those wins have a higher number of Top 100 Fed-Ex opponents than Jordan's most toughest field he's faced. He's won those tournaments by an average of 5 strokes. His major performance was T28, T9, T4, 1st.

Even though Jordan won 2 Majors if you actually compare how hard it is to win those tournaments. The US Open is probably the most impressive. Though I do feel Dustin gave that one away, missing all those short putts, versus Jordan winning it. The Masters has the weakest field of the Majors.

I just think Jason has done more in terms of competition faced and in more impressive fashion to give him the POY award.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't know. I get that Dustin has to make those putts. I think Dustin did miss like 5-6 putts inside of 8 FT in that final round. If he converts half of them then there wouldn't even been talk about Spieth that day.

I am going to say it's going to Day. He's won more tournaments with better fields.

Jason Day: 5 Wins, 2 Majors. 3 of those wins have a higher number of Top 100 Fed-Ex opponents than Jordan's most toughest field he's faced. He's won those tournaments by an average of 5 strokes. His major performance was T28, T9, T4, 1st.

Even though Jordan won 2 Majors if you actually compare how hard it is to win those tournaments. The US Open is probably the most impressive. Though I do feel Dustin gave that one away, missing all those short putts, versus Jordan winning it. The Masters has the weakest field of the Majors.

I just think Jason has done more in terms of competition faced and in more impressive fashion to give him the POY award.

You're forgetting that Spieth finished 2nd and 4th in the two Majors he didn't win which is better than Day.  How Spieth won against DJ won't factor in to the decision, they played four rounds of golf, every stroke counts.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!