IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

You're forgetting that Spieth finished 2nd and 4th in the two Majors he didn't win which is better than Day.  How Spieth won against DJ won't factor in to the decision, they played four rounds of golf, every stroke counts.

Sure it matters. Who's win is more impressive Ben Curtis in 2003 or Tiger Woods in 2005? Curtis won because the field fell apart. Tiger won because he destroyed the field. Sorry, but how you win can matters a lot. To me I think Dustin gave away the US Open over Spieth winning it.

I am throwing out the sentimental value of the tournament and just looking at overall quality of the field. In terms of that Jason has won more tournaments under tougher competition and has decimated the field.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right now it's still Spieth. Even though he didn't win the Deutsche Bank, I think a Tour Championship win could now push Day over the top. Nothing short of that though. 2 Majors, and a second and 4th in the other 2 still trumps all else.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The point is that Day has dominated golf and has won going away.

Jordan got lucky that DJ chocked or else he wouldn't have been in a position to win at all.

Day did not have to rely on somebody else screwing up, he went out and won.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

This conversation reminds me of the Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad fight in 1999.  It was a technical bout for 10 rounds, and for those that just like boxing for a big finish, aka knockout it was not that impressive.  For others, it was one of the most graceful fights ever, it was THE fight that if ever anyone asked me what boxing is about, this is the fight that I would show them. I have seen so many fights I cannot count them all, including many in person.  I was at Caesar's Palace when Leonard beat Hagler and the crowd errupted into a chant not fit for tv while throwing beer bottles on the canvas.

The way this conversation reminds me is that De La Hoya hands down outboxed Trinidad for something like 6 or 7 of the first rounds.  He played it safe and made sure he didn't get knocked out while Trinidad came on with a flurry those last two rounds in a desperate attempt to win.  He looked great, so good in fact that they gave him the match and most of us sat their mouth agape at how they could do that.  Did De La Hoya finish as well as Trinidad?  No.  Did he have to finish as well as Trinidad?  No, he didn't have too.  Did Trinidad win the fight even though the tale of the tape says he didn't because he had two really good rounds at the end?  No.

Day has been on fire, and is finishing very strongly.  However, Spieth has two Majors and a 2nd and 4th place finish in the other two.  Take a moment to think about that alone.  Day won the PGA Championship and has been coming on strong.  A grand showing, and definitely playing better golf than Spieth is right now, but it does not and cannot erase what Spieth has already done in the year to earn player of the year.  You have to look at the whole year, not just the last few months.

Think they are both great golfers and am happy for both of them but Spieth thus far is clearly the player of the year.

With his latest win, I think Day now has a decent shot at the POY title. I originally voted for Spieth. At this point Spieth, or Day could win it with no arguments from the one who did not win it, the fans, or the media.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't know. I get that Dustin has to make those putts. I think Dustin did miss like 5-6 putts inside of 8 FT in that final round. If he converts half of them then there wouldn't even been talk about Spieth that day.

And if Spieth hadn't missed all those putts at St. Andrews he would have won the British Open. ;-)

How Spieth won against DJ won't factor in to the decision, they played four rounds of golf, every stroke counts.

Right.

They were tied for the lead going into the last round, Spieth shots 69 and DJ shot 70. It wasn't like DJ had a big lead and gave it to Spieth. Yeah DJ missed a putt he "shoulda" made but Spieth still went out and played a good round.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I don't know. I get that Dustin has to make those putts. I think Dustin did miss like 5-6 putts inside of 8 FT in that final round. If he converts half of them then there wouldn't even been talk about Spieth that day.

And if Spieth hadn't missed all those putts at St. Andrews he would have won the British Open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

How Spieth won against DJ won't factor in to the decision, they played four rounds of golf, every stroke counts.

Right.

They were tied for the lead going into the last round, Spieth shots 69 and DJ shot 70. It wasn't like DJ had a big lead and gave it to Spieth. Yeah DJ missed a putt he "shoulda" made but Spieth still went out and played a good round.

I read somewhere someone wrote if Day didn't get vertigo at the USO, he would have won it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I read somewhere someone wrote if Day didn't get vertigo at the USO, he would have won it.

No one could back that claim up. I think the way he was striking the ball and putting he would have a better shot at it than if he didn't suffer from vertigo. He ended up 5 strokes back of Spieth, but he ended up shooting 5 strokes worse than Spieth on Sunday. Could I say he had a better shot at matching Spieth shot for shot if he didn't suffer from a illness that caused him to want to pass out if he moved around too much? I think that is a fair claim. I think his odds would have been much better. I wouldn't say he had a 100% chance of winning.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

At the moment it is Speith, he won two majors...

If Day wins next week then it could be him...

I doubt it - but it does make it exciting.

I think Speith already has Day's vote, FWIW.  (Based on the interviews I've heard.

These guys just hold majors in too high a regard, and two wins with two near wins out of four in one year is pretty hard to argue with.

Bill - 

2 Majors and 1 shot back of a playoff for a 3rd. Has to go to Spieth...not to take anything away from Day's year...he's been incredible.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Whoever finishes higher in the tour championship has to get it at this point. Award is PGA Tour PotY, right (serious question)? 3 out of the 4 playoff events! Come on folks, I get the history of the majors, but come ON! 6 wins!!

Whoever finishes higher in the tour championship has to get it at this point. Award is PGA Tour PotY, right (serious question)? 3 out of the 4 playoff events! Come on folks, I get the history of the majors, but come ON! 6 wins!!

Not a given at all. If I was voting is probably give it to day ONLY if he wins the last tournament, otherwise I'd still go Spieth. Although I wouldn't argue with anybody who voted day right now either. Edit: it's a little like arguing about Emmys or espys tho right? I doubt either guy cares much - they have their performances and that's prolly all they need.

I am a Spieth fan, voted for Spieth at the outset of this poll, and I am still pulling for Spieth.  Day has been so dominant in the playoffs. If the vote was today, I would have to say 50/50 for Spieth at best. If either wins the Tour Championship, then I would probably give that one POY. If neither wins it, then I would vote Jordan but expect it to be close.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

The point is that Day has dominated golf and has won going away. Jordan got lucky that DJ chocked or else he wouldn't have been in a position to win at all.    Day did not have to rely on somebody else screwing up, he went out and won.

He's dominated since the start of August....Lets not pretend like Jason has been dominating all season long now. Last I checked the POY award was the best player for the entire season, not just the end of the summer on. And all 4 majors play a huge role in the outcome, and Spieth still holds a monumental advantage over Jason in that department. He also has 4 wins this year, Jason has 5. Jordan still holds the edge in top-5s. I still think even if Jason wins the Tour, Jordan's resume still trumps him for the WHOLE season.

He's dominated since the start of August....Lets not pretend like Jason has been dominating all season long now. Last I checked the POY award was the best player for the entire season, not just the end of the summer on. And all 4 majors play a huge role in the outcome, and Spieth still holds a monumental advantage over Jason in that department. He also has 4 wins this year, Jason has 5. Jordan still holds the edge in top-5s. I still think even if Jason wins the Tour, Jordan's resume still trumps him for the WHOLE season.

True, but Day was no slouch prior to August either. He won on tour in February. He gutted out a Top 10 in the U.S. Open with vertigo in June,he was one roll of the ball away from the Open Championship playoff and he won again on tour in July. I don't think that is enough, but let's not act like he came out of nowhere prior to August. :)

Still JS. Day is coming off a W in a field with 70 players. The Tour championship is only 30. Still very respectable accomplishment - winning two legs of the playoffs so far. I think its tougher to string two in a row during the regular season. Spieth's 1, 2, T2, 1 at the Valspar, Valero, Shell, and Masters (didn't play at Bay Hill) are much more impressive than Day's current run - even if he wins the TC - and that's not taking into account everything JS did before/after that five week stretch.

Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!