IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

I wouldn't trade my season for Spieth's either.

You wouldn't trade a tie at the Newport Cup for two majors? ;-)

I'd guess that he probably would switch.  ("Guess" being the key word, you are just as likely to be correct as me.) :)

EDIT:  Also, consider how close he's been to winning the Masters several times and he'd have that monkey off his back and that trophy in his hands.  That means something too.

I think even if Day wins this week he'd still switch. Doesn't necessarily mean that Spieth had the better season (the players vote for POY) but winning majors, especially multiple majors is huge, puts you in a different category.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could turn the trade seasons question around. Would Spieth trade his season for that of Day's?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You could turn the trade seasons question around. Would Spieth trade his season for that of Day's?

I'll go with no ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

In all the hubbub for PoTY, Spieth leads the Vardon trophy race. He's ~0.2 strokes ahead of Day. Totally different yearly award, but just wanted to point it out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In all the hubbub for PoTY, Spieth leads the Vardon trophy race. He's ~0.2 strokes ahead of Day. Totally different yearly award, but just wanted to point it out.

I definitely think the players who vote on POY will give some weight to the scoring average winner, but which scoring average (and how do the Vardon and Nelson do their adjustments)? Currently, Day's actual scoring average is 0.3 ahead of Speith. The fields scoring average is 0.21 higher for Speith than Dan, so Day only leads the scoring ave v field by 0.09 strokes per round (2.3 better than the field for Day vs 2.21 better than the field for Speith). What I don't understand is why Speith has a better adjusted scoring average than Day, considering Day leads in both of the above categories?? Do they do some sort of par computation to get adjusted scoring average?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/22/golf-player-year-vote-jason-day-jordan-spieth/?page=1

Quote:
“I still think it’s him,” Day said Sunday, “but I’m hoping that I can go and win next week and get people talking about it a lot more.”

Quote:
Rickie Fowler said his main criteria would be victories, though not just any title. “Majors. Majors are big,” he said. “With what Jordan ’s done this year, it’s pretty amazing. Jason is making his late charge, so he’s not making it any easier on the voting side of it.”

Mike McLoughlin

Damnit Jason stop being a gracious competitor to Jordan :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by MEfree

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I definitely think the players who vote on POY will give some weight to the scoring average winner, but which scoring average (and how do the Vardon and Nelson do their adjustments)?

Currently, Day's actual scoring average is 0.3 ahead of Speith. The fields scoring average is 0.21 higher for Speith than Dan, so Day only leads the scoring ave v field by 0.09 strokes per round (2.3 better than the field for Day vs 2.21 better than the field for Speith). What I don't understand is why Speith has a better adjusted scoring average than Day, considering Day leads in both of the above categories?? Do they do some sort of par computation to get adjusted scoring average?

According to Wikipedia, Vardon based on adjusted, if I transcribed the numbers right from the PGATour site:

Day: Av (Adj): 69.163   Av (Actual): 68.85

Spieth: Av (Adj): 68.984   Av (Actual): 69.15

The 5 worst PGA Tour Player of the Year campaigns

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-5-worst-pga-tour-player-of-the-year-campaigns

Video conference. Holy, 8 hours of video games a day? Lol, I can totally understand getting wrapped up in video games.

https://sg.screen.yahoo.com/jason-day-news-conference-tour-153019054.html

Steve

According to Wikipedia, Vardon based on adjusted, if I transcribed the numbers right from the PGATour site: Day: Av (Adj): 69.163   Av (Actual): 68.85 Spieth: Av (Adj): 68.984   Av (Actual): 69.15

Any idea how they do the adjustments to scoring average? Like I pointed out before, Day's scoring ave differential vs the field is better than Spieth's. If you look at the 13 official stroke play events that they both competed in, Day was -102 with a 69.19 scoring ave while Spieth was -78 with a 69.61 scoring average. (Even if you include the unofficial Hero World Challenge Spieth won, Day has the better scoring average in Stroke Play events they both competed in.) It seems that whatever adjustments they made, it certainly favored the rounds Spieth played when Day was not competing or hurt the rounds Day played when Spieth did not tee it up. Day is popular with his fellow competitors. I think it will be hard for him to come back and win again this week, but if he does, I think he will win POY (especially if he takes the official scoring title).

I think it's pretty awesome to have both Jason Day and Jordan Spieth right now. But we're talking about Player of the Year, not Player of the Final 6 weeks of the Season. You have to start with the Majors, and there Day has not been in the same league with Spieth in 2015. If they'd both won 2 majors, then I'd say Day has been Player of the Year. But with Jordan winning two, Day winning one, and Spieth's record in the two he didn't win far superior to Day's record in the ones he didn't win ... well, you have to do some sort of gymnastic math to claim Day has been Player of the Year.

Sure wish I could watch the Tour Championship but, unfortunately, PGA Tour Live is "having technical issues" and their live stream isn't working.

I think it's pretty awesome to have both Jason Day and Jordan Spieth right now. But we're talking about Player of the Year, not Player of the Final 6 weeks of the Season. You have to start with the Majors, and there Day has not been in the same league with Spieth in 2015. If they'd both won 2 majors, then I'd say Day has been Player of the Year. But with Jordan winning two, Day winning one, and Spieth's record in the two he didn't win far superior to Day's record in the ones he didn't win ... well, you have to do some sort of gymnastic math to claim Day has been Player of the Year.

Sure wish I could watch the Tour Championship but, unfortunately, PGA Tour Live is "having technical issues" and their live stream isn't working.

LOL WUT??

If not for a random bout with vertigo, it could be Day with 2 majors and Speith with only 1...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Seriously? LMAO. In deciding Player of the Year, you rely on what actually happened, not what you wish happened. How ridiculous.

No need to laugh your ass off ... he was responding to your comment that Day was not in the same league as Spieth until the last 6 weeks.  The fact that he was right there until the end of the US Open, all while having vertigo, and still finishing T9, says otherwise.

Not to mention him being T4 along with Spieth at the Open a few weeks later with a putt to make the playoff on 18.

Curb your hyperbole and all will be well. :beer:

No need to laugh your ass off ... he was responding to your comment that Day was not in the same league as Spieth until the last 6 weeks.  The fact that he was right there until the end of the US Open, all while having vertigo, and still finishing T9, says otherwise.

Not to mention him being T4 along with Spieth at the Open a few weeks later with a putt to make the playoff on 18.

Curb your hyperbole and all will be well.

T9 at the US Open and T58 at the Masters. No, Day has not been in Speith's league at ALL 4 MAJORS this year. Sorry, facts they are facts.

T9 at the US Open and T58 at the Masters. No, Day has not been in Speith's league at ALL 4 MAJORS this year. Sorry, facts they are facts.

Yes, Spieth had a better major season and he certainly dominated Day at the Masters, but over the last 3 majors, Spieth beat Day by a total of 2 strokes with each taking 1 victory- not exactly in separate leagues. While I don't think anyone is saying that their major seasons are equal, I think Day would be the front runner for POY right now if DJ had made a 12 foot putt on the 72nd hole of the US Open while Spieth was sitting in the clubhouse wondering why he doubled the 71st hole.

Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!