IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

Seriously? LMAO. In deciding Player of the Year, you rely on what actually happened, not what you wish happened. How ridiculous.

There is a lot of black and white in your life huh?  You need to look deeper than the final scores.  Outside variables can come into play.

No need to laugh your ass off ... he was responding to your comment that Day was not in the same league as Spieth until the last 6 weeks.  The fact that he was right there until the end of the US Open, all while having vertigo, and still finishing T9, says otherwise.

Not to mention him being T4 along with Spieth at the Open a few weeks later with a putt to make the playoff on 18.

Curb your hyperbole and all will be well.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

There is a lot of black and white in your life huh?  You need to look deeper than the final scores.  Outside variables can come into play.

While he's been strong, it's nothing close to 1st place, 1st place, 4th place, 2nd place. Nobody's even in the same ballpark compared to what Jordan did in the majors this year. If Jason wins The Tour, I'll at least admit he should be in the conversation, but I still don't think it's enough. Then again, I give the majors a lot of weight. Those that don't likely think the other way around.

LOL WUT?? If not for a random bout with vertigo, it could be Day with 2 majors and Speith with only 1...

And with a similar sized 'If' Spieth could have won the grand slam this season.

And with a similar sized 'If' Spieth could have won the grand slam this season.

Not really....

Plus I was laughing at him saying that Day was nowhere near Jordan in the majors this season, which is ridiculous.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Not really....

Plus I was laughing at him saying that Day was nowhere near Jordan in the majors this season, which is ridiculous.

Spieth 'lost' the grand slam this year by a combined 4 shots...Day lost the US Open alone by 5 shots (and the Masters by 17 strokes).

Comparing Day's major run this season to Spieth's is ridiculous. They aren't in the same ballpark. Not trying to take anything away from what Day has done over the past two months- it's been incredible- but in the same light let's not take anything away from what Spieth did in the Majors.

Spieth 'lost' the grand slam this year by a combined 4 shots...Day lost the US Open alone by 5 shots (and the Masters by 17 strokes).

Comparing Day's major run this season to Spieth's is ridiculous. They aren't in the same ballpark. Not trying to take anything away from what Day has done over the past two months- it's been incredible- but in the same light let's not take anything away from what Spieth did in the Majors.

Nice little strawman you and @Spiethismyhero have built here over the last several posts.  Nobody is "comparing" Day's major run to Spieths other than to point out that people are wrong when they say things that imply Day has only been playing well for the last 6 weeks.

Heck, my vote goes to Jordan for POY unless he stinks this weekend and Day wins.  And even then, it probably still goes to Spieth.

Let's just be a little bit more realistic about the entirety of Days season.  He was T3 at the TOC in January, won at Farmers in February, two more T4's in Feb and April, battled through vertigo to a T9 in June at USO, and was basically one ball revolution from the playoff at the British in July.

He has been fantastic all year long.  As good as Jordan?  I don't think so.  But fantastic nonetheless.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice little strawman you and @Spiethismyhero have built here over the last several posts.  Nobody is "comparing" Day's major run to Spieths

I understand strawman is a favorite buzz word on this forum but...

Day, outside of the Masters, has been just as strong in the Majors.  Hell he had a better chance on 18 at St. Andrews to make the playoff there.

This sounds like a comparison. Not one I was trying to fabricate.

If my granny had balls and won all 4 majors, she'd probably win player of the year.

Unfortunately, she doesn't have a single nut, and can't break 125 from the red tees, so I don't think she'll win it.

Hypotheticals have no bearing on player of the year. Actual results matter.

Spieth is the guy.

I understand strawman is a favorite buzz word on this forum but...

This sounds like a comparison. Not one I was trying to fabricate.

You gotta go back a few more posts.  (Specifically #138 where Spiethis said Days only been good for 6 weeks and Jordan is in another league)  Puma and myself were simply rebutting those assertions and nothing more.

The point of the comparison is to point out that his hyperbole hurts his argument.  Why?  Because look what happens.  You get me, a guy who is strongly in the "Spieth for POY" camp, arguing against you because you make statements that are outlandish.  Spieth has not been "in a different league" or "ballpark" than Day at the majors this year.  He's played better than him, sure, and he's also been 100% healthy whereas Day has not, but that's a far cry from "in another league."

So forcing (strong word, yes, but you get my point) somebody to compare the two to rebut an original argument, then argue against that comparison, to me, is building a strawman.

Yes, Spieth had a better major season and he certainly dominated Day at the Masters, but over the last 3 majors, Spieth beat Day by a total of 2 strokes with each taking 1 victory- not exactly in separate leagues. While I don't think anyone is saying that their major seasons are equal, I think Day would be the front runner for POY right now if DJ had made a 12 foot putt on the 72nd hole of the US Open while Spieth was sitting in the clubhouse wondering why he doubled the 71st hole.

Making a 12 foot downhill putt at the US Open is not easy task. That was certainly no gimme.

The amount of Jason Day man love displayed on this forum in recent weeks is starting to approach Tiger-esque levels. It's getting scary.

Leave it to you to bring up Tiger once again.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

And leave it to you to get your panties in a twist whenever I mention his name.

Another dumb generalization by skydog. You do not know me nor do you post here enough. But when you do you seem to talk about Tiger an awful lot. ------------------------------ Spieth is still POTY. Day close second.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Another dumb generalization by skydog. You do not know me nor do you post here enough. But when you do you seem to talk about Tiger an awful lot. ------------------------------ Spieth is still POTY. Day close second.

Keep fighting the good fight. Maybe 2017 will be the year for your boy and my 'dumb generalizations' will actually be wrong. But I actually agree with you on POTY. Let's be friends now Phil.

Keep fighting the good fight. Maybe 2017 will be the year for your boy and my 'dumb generalizations' will actually be wrong. But I actually agree with you on POTY. Let's be friends now Phil.

That's the thing though ... "Dumb generalizations" are ALWAYS wrong.

That's the thing though ... "Dumb generalizations" are ALWAYS wrong.

'Dumb generalizations' to Phil are anything besides sunshine and daisies directed towards Tiger. Other than that, I'm not aware of any I make, but feel free to point out any wrong thing I've ever said here. Side note: my original comment had nothing to do with Tiger. Although I can't support it, Tiger has at least earned the outpouring of man love he receives on this forum. Day has not yet, and it's a bit overboard IMO.

The discussion is about Spieth and Day, not Tiger.  Any player that dominates the way that Spieth and Day have for long periods of time is going to get a ton of hype, that's what the media does.

Joe Paradiso

The discussion is about Spieth and Day, not Tiger.  Any player that dominates the way that Spieth and Day have for long periods of time is going to get a ton of hype, that's what the media does.

Can you blame them though? Spieth and Day have earned all of the hype they've received this season. (Well except for the infinity reminders of Spieths age. :P) I only respond because the way you phrased "that's what the media does" kinda sounds like a negative.

Note: This thread is 3099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!