IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

Can you blame them though? Spieth and Day have earned all of the hype they've received this season. (Well except for the infinity reminders of Spieths age. :P)

I only respond because the way you phrased "that's what the media does" kinda sounds like a negative.

I don't blame the media at all (wasn't intended as a negative). Their job is to talk about who is hot and trending at the time.  In terms of golf, both Spieth and Day fully warranted the coverage they received.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If my granny had balls and won all 4 majors, she'd probably win player of the year. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a single nut, and can't break 125 from the red tees, so I don't think she'll win it. Hypotheticals have no bearing on player of the year. Actual results matter. Spieth is the guy.

The OP is basically a hypothetical. I agree that results matter, but which results are most important? Day has more wins, a lower actual scoring average, a lower scoring average in tournaments both he and Spieth competed in and JD currently leads JS in the FEC. I'd vote for JS today based on his better record in the majors, but might feel differently Sunday evening.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

'Dumb generalizations' to Phil are anything besides sunshine and daisies directed towards Tiger. Other than that, I'm not aware of any I make, but feel free to point out any wrong thing I've ever said here. Side note: my original comment had nothing to do with Tiger. Although I can't support it, Tiger has at least earned the outpouring of man love he receives on this forum. Day has not yet, and it's a bit overboard IMO.

Your anti-Tiger bias makes you think neutral statements or statements of fact are examples of man love toward Tiger. I have never said much pro-Tiger here except that when he is playing well he is good for my business (instruction). And he is arguably the best player ever. Not in 2015. Or 2014.-Get yer facts in order skydog. And stick to the topic. Keep your words in your mouth-I do not need your words put in my mouth.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Unless Day makes a comeback to win Fedex cup being 9 back as of fri night then id say Speith without a doubt.Being hot for a month or so shouldnt beat out hot pretty much most of year.Another thing about Day, heck he should be rolling by now cause hes got 5 years experience on Speith.Thats why I think Speiths year is more impressive.Day is late bloomer, Speith is early bloomer.

This thread sure got quiet over the course of the last couple of days ... I wonder why? ;)

I was going to post the same exact thing.  Lots of crickets in this thread.

Joe Paradiso

This thread sure got quiet over the course of the last couple of days ... I wonder why? ;)

Kinda like the "Jordan Spieth hero to zero" thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Your anti-Tiger bias makes you think neutral statements or statements of fact are examples of man love toward Tiger.

I have never said much pro-Tiger here except that when he is playing well he is good for my business (instruction). And he is arguably the best player ever. Not in 2015. Or 2014.-Get yer facts in order skydog.

And stick to the topic.

Keep your words in your mouth-I do not need your words put in my mouth.

C'mon Phil, admit it- Tiger sucks.

Why do you continue to defend him? You attack anyone that isn't wearing a Tiger cheerleader outfit.

Perhaps you should go to bat for Kiradech Aphibarnrat. He is ranked 230 spots ahead of your boy Tiger.

I just don't see what Jason Day has done this year. That is more impressive than what Jordan Spieth has done all year. For me it's Spieth and, it's really not even as close as some think it should be.

i think some guys don't put much merit in the majors, and for those guys, you can make the case for Day. Bit reality is the majors are a big factor, and no one has been in even the same ballpark as Spieth in that category, and he's also performed well all year in the non-majors, going for what could be his 5th official sanctioned win and 7th tourney win.

i think some guys don't put much merit in the majors, and for those guys, you can make the case for Day. Bit reality is the majors are a big factor, and no one has been in even the same ballpark as Spieth in that category, and he's also performed well all year in the non-majors, going for what could be his 5th official sanctioned win and 7th tourney win.

I know right, even the majors Spieth did not win this year. He still had a very impressive showing.

C'mon Phil, admit it- Tiger sucks. Why do you continue to defend him? You attack anyone that isn't wearing a Tiger cheerleader outfit.

Tiger does not suck-Could spot you a shot a hole and kick your butt-and I do not attack anyone. skydog just posts a heck of a lot about Tiger and clearly hates him. So do you. Get over it. There is more to golf than Tiger. The haters are the ones obsessed. Like you.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Just voted for Spieth right after the  third round of the Tour Championships.

This kid knows when to show up for the important tournaments.

I think Day has better physical talent but mentally Spieth seems to be as tough as Tiger and Nicklaus.

This kid knows when to show up for the important tournaments.

I think Day has better physical talent but mentally Spieth seems to be as tough as Tiger and Nicklaus.

I don't think it's fair to Day to say he's not mentally tough or as tough as Jordan.  He's dominated the last 2 months, anyone is entitled to a letdown.  Prior to this tournament, Jordan was not playing his best either.  It's also a bit premature to crown Spieth the winner, he's only ahead by 1 and Rory (who's been forgotten) is in striking distance as is Fowler, anything can happen tomorrow.

Joe Paradiso

I think mental toughness is overblown, Spieth is just playing better this week. Also Day was pretty tough (or whatever you want to call it) when he was dealing with vertigo and played well enough to be tied for the lead after three rounds at the U.S. Open.

Didn't want to wait until the back nine tomorrow? ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't think it's fair to Day to say he's not mentally tough or as tough as Jordan.  He's dominated the last 2 months, anyone is entitled to a letdown.  Prior to this tournament, Jordan was not playing his best either.  It's also a bit premature to crown Spieth the winner, he's only ahead by 1 and Rory (who's been forgotten) is in striking distance as is Fowler, anything can happen tomorrow.

I think he meant he voted for him for POY. I think it's not at all premature to crown him with that title now. :). Day needed to win the week to have a chance, I think.

I think he meant he voted for him for POY. I think it's not at all premature to crown him with that title now. :). Day needed to win the week to have a chance, I think.

I meant the Fed Ex Crown not POTY, sorry if that wasn't clear.  I agree, Jordan has earned POTY.

Joe Paradiso

Did a side by side out of curiosity.  I've softened my stance in terms of Spieth absolutely owning PoTY. Now if Spieth didn't win any of the FedEx post season events, but Day won The Memorial and The Players instead of Deutsche and BMW and won today's Tour Championship, that would be a tougher decision.

http://bit.ly/1FBmvDt

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!