IGNORED

David Feherty Moves From CBS to NBC and Golf Channel

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's a good observation.  That (a different role) could have been a large part of failed negotiation.

I'd say if he was pushing for a different role they may have been having trouble trying to fit him somewhere. These guys don't tend to change roles or personalities often. It's almost always the same 2 or 3 main commentators, 2 guys in the towers watching live feeds from different cameras, and 2 or 3 on course commentators following specific groups. I'd hazard a guess that if this is the case, they couldn't "find a role" for him outside of on course commentator. Maybe they let him Live-tweet instead :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I bet he goes to NBC.  NBC owns the Golf Channel and he already has a shown on there...

Probably offers him a nice salary for his on course commentary now.  Maybe even a tower role.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

My thoughts exactly. He's hilarious when he's spontaneous but absolutely cringe-worthy when he forces it. Unfortunately he forces it all too often. He needs to realize that not every comment requires a punch line. I'll take him over McCord any day and twice on Sunday's.

Plenty of his type over here in the UK (funnily enough); there's nothing unique about his so-called humour! Perhaps I'm biased because my ex wife is from Northern Ireland, but in my opinion he's a total douchebag (as you say in the States),

Absolutely.  He treats his job more as a comedian who just happens to be talking about golf when I'd prefer a golf announcer that knows he is funny.

The bottom line, though, is that when I watch golf, I watch for the golf, so no offense to Feherty or McCord or Faldo or any of them but I honestly could not care less.  He won't be missed by me and unless his replacement is the worst human being on the planet,  forget about him very quickly.

Sorry.

I agree, I'm interested in golf and don't require any poor attempts at comedy sprinkled in to maintain my interest.  If the golf is that boring, I'll switch channels, I certainly wouldn't continue to watch just for Feherty.  The problem is he tries too hard to be funny which results in laughing at him rather than with him.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bet he goes to NBC.  NBC owns the Golf Channel and he already has a shown on there...

Probably offers him a nice salary for his on course commentary now.  Maybe even a tower role.

Makes sense.

I agree, I'm interested in golf and don't require any poor attempts at comedy sprinkled in to maintain my interest.  If the golf is that boring, I'll switch channels, I certainly wouldn't continue to watch just for Feherty.  The problem is he tries too hard to be funny which results in laughing at him rather than with him.

The thing that makes me groan moreso than the forced comedy is the excessive hyperbolic banter between David and Peter Kostis (and the rest).

"You HAVE NO IDEA how good that was .... WOW!!!!  He couldn't get it that close in 100 more tries."

Ummm, sorry David, but you're full of shit.  You know how I know?  Because you said that yesterday, and last week, and the week before.  Every damn time a PGA TOUR player pitches one close while short sided.

Makes sense.

The thing that makes me groan moreso than the forced comedy is the excessive hyperbolic banter between David and Peter Kostis (and the rest).

"You HAVE NO IDEA how good that was .... WOW!!!!  He couldn't get it that close in 100 more tries."

Ummm, sorry David, but you're full of shit.  You know how I know?  Because you said that yesterday, and last week, and the week before.  Every damn time a PGA TOUR player pitches one close while short sided.

Very true, I won't miss it.  Now if we could just get Faldo to stop telling us how impossible a shot is only to have the golfer put the ball a foot to two from the hole.

Joe Paradiso

The sad reality is that network televised golf is one big ugly commercial, regardless of the clowns who do the commenting. Thankfully these days (almost) commercial free feeds can be found online for almost all events, and Portuguese is a beautiful language

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I can't stand NBC or FOX's coverage.

I actually really like NBC. I think they cover golf the best. I like Hicks/Miller and I think Maltbie and Rolfing are two of the better on course reporters in the game. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go to NBC just because they may be losing some guys soon. Miller and Maltbie are getting up there in age and Rolfing has been battling illness. No chance in hell he goes to Fox. Why would he to there for one friggin event that people tune in for? Feherty is actually what I liked best about CBS. Baker-finch and Kostis put me to sleep, McCord isn't funny at all and Lundquist is retiring. Nantz can be a bit cheesy but I do like Faldo.

Feherty is one of my favorites. He makes you realize that golf is a game and you should have fun while playing it. I hope he catches on with another broadcast. Fox needs someone to lighten up their team as does NBC.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Apparently many are not happy with CBS's decision.

https://www.facebook.com/GolfDigest/posts/10153687171328729

And more information from golfdigest.com

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-david-feherty-is-walking

And even more from Geoff Shackleford

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/2/where-will-david-feherty-land.html

Feherty may be more popular than CBS thought.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Feherty is one of my favorites. He makes you realize that golf is a game and you should have fun while playing it. I hope he catches on with another broadcast. Fox needs someone to lighten up their team as does NBC.

Love Feherty when he is on the local radio in Dallas -- TheTIcket -- he is better when he doesn't have the overwhelming need to be witty. Now don't get me wrong, Feherty, great patriot, amazing American, you know he's a citizen, right? Betrayed his own country to join us, does fantastic things for our troops, raises almost as much money for the troops as I do for my golf courses, fantastic golf courses by the way. I tell you, there is a wall between Feherty, a great wall of China between he and McCord and other color analysts. Listen, I am going to hire Feherty for my new golf network - Trump Golf Vision -- it will be fantastic, will put everyone out of business -- they're fired. It will be Trump and no one else -- no one can touch me ... or Feherty.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

And even more from Geoff Shackleford

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/2/where-will-david-feherty-land.html

Feherty may be more popular than CBS thought.

Where Will David Feherty Land?

The intrigue continues after SBD's report of CBS not renewing David Feherty after 19 years with the network's golf team.

As one of the more recognizeable and beloved figures in the game, it's understandable to want to know where the funnyman will take his talents. Or if he'll continue broadcasting golf at all.

Martin Kaufmann at Golfweek.com considers the possibilities and had me thinking he had a pretty credible "TV executive" until a prime time show on Fox Sports 1 would offer Feherty a "bigger platform." Then I knew who it was and I could only giggle.

Still this is worthwhile analysis.

For Feherty, the more interesting move would be to join Fox, which recently completed the first year of its 12-year contract to broadcast U.S. Golf Association championships.

“He’s such a natural fit at Fox, and they need the legitimacy so bad,” said the TV executive.

Temperamentally, Feherty would seem to be a better fit with Fox, which is more open to risk-taking and a cheekier tone from its announcers. Fox also has a lighter tournament schedule than those at CBS and NBC. And Fox has been known to spend freely on talent, while NBC recently has been cutting costs.

Fox has a lot of bodies on its announcing crew, but only a few clear-cut keepers. Feherty instantly would provide a dramatic upgrade for Fox.

“If I was Shanks/Neal/Freer, I’d offer him a blank canvas and a blank check,” said the producer, referring to Fox Sports executives Eric Shanks, David Neal and Randy Freer.

Anyone going to check with Loomis ?

The Dallas Morning News' Barry Horn says CBS was happy to call him to talk good ratings news yesterday (best in six years for golf), but along with Feherty, went quiet on the topic of the moment.

In the end, there appears to have been a divorce. But what if the final decree is not in?

CBS isn’t talking. A network spokesperson offered a blunt “no comment” Wednesday morning. That’s a comment. Even the benign “we wish him the best of luck in the future” would be more cordial. Feherty isn’t answering his phone.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Some others said it, but my first guess was that he was tired of lugging that battery pack/belt/mic setup around the golf course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some others said it, but my first guess was that he was tired of lugging that battery pack/belt/mic setup around the golf course.

Not that it would change things, but I feel like he deserves a Segway at the very least. :)

Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!