IGNORED

David Feherty Moves From CBS to NBC and Golf Channel

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not that it would change things, but I feel like he deserves a Segway at the very least. :)

So he can stumble and fall into Jason Day's legs???

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Some others said it, but my first guess was that he was tired of lugging that battery pack/belt/mic setup around the golf course.

Not that it would change things, but I feel like he deserves a Segway at the very least. :)

He's pissed because all CBS gave him was a lousy low end Glidr :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where Will David Feherty Land?

The intrigue continues after SBD's report of CBS not renewing David Feherty after 19 years with the network's golf team. As one of the more recognizeable and beloved figures in the game, it's understandable to want to know where the funnyman will take his talents. Or if he'll continue broadcasting golf at all. Martin Kaufmann at Golfweek.com considers the possibilities and had me thinking he had a pretty credible "TV executive" until a prime time show on Fox Sports 1 would offer Feherty a "bigger platform." Then I knew who it was and I could only giggle.  Still this is worthwhile analysis.

For Feherty, the more interesting move would be to join Fox, which recently completed the first year of its 12-year contract to broadcast U.S. Golf Association championships.  “He’s such a natural fit at Fox, and they need the legitimacy so bad,” said the TV executive.  Temperamentally, Feherty would seem to be a better fit with Fox, which is more open to risk-taking and a cheekier tone from its announcers. Fox also has a lighter tournament schedule than those at CBS and NBC. And Fox has been known to spend freely on talent, while NBC recently has been cutting costs. Fox has a lot of bodies on its announcing crew, but only a few clear-cut keepers. Feherty instantly would provide a dramatic upgrade for Fox. “If I was Shanks/Neal/Freer, I’d offer him a blank canvas and a blank check,” said the producer, referring to Fox Sports executives Eric Shanks, David Neal and Randy Freer.

Anyone going to check with Loomis ?

The Dallas Morning News' Barry Horn says CBS was happy to call him to talk good ratings news yesterday (best in six years for golf), but along with Feherty, went quiet on the topic of the moment.

In the end, there appears to have been a divorce. But what if the final decree is not in? CBS isn’t talking. A network spokesperson offered a blunt “no comment” Wednesday morning. That’s a comment. Even the benign “we wish him the best of luck in the future” would be more cordial. Feherty isn’t answering his phone.

I wouldn't understand the move to Fox. They only have ONE event on the PGA Tour?? It would be more about doing a nightly show than covering golf if he went there. If it's about covering golf and CBS is out of play, I can't see any scenario where he wouldn't go to NBC, especially with Miller and Maltbie getting close to retirement.

I wouldn't understand the move to Fox. They only have ONE event on the PGA Tour?? It would be more about doing a nightly show than covering golf if he went there. If it's about covering golf and CBS is out of play, I can't see any scenario where he wouldn't go to NBC, especially with Miller and Maltbie getting close to retirement.

Maybe the pay is the same and he only has to work 1 event?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Maybe the pay is the same and he only has to work 1 event?

They have several events that Buck and Norman work, so he'd presumably work the same ones.  Not nearly as many as CBS, but at least a handful.  US Open, US AM, US Senior Open, US Womens Open.  Your point still stands though, because it's a fraction of CBS' workload.

More importantly, maybe we should talk about whether or not this opens the door for a possible McCord/Augusta reconciliation??? :-P

They have several events that Buck and Norman work, so he'd presumably work the same ones.  Not nearly as many as CBS, but at least a handful.  US Open, US AM, US Senior Open, US Womens Open.  Your point still stands though, because it's a fraction of CBS' workload. More importantly, maybe we should talk about whether or not this opens the door for a possible McCord/Augusta reconciliation??? :-P

But who really watches those events besides the U.S. Open? Fox's only real event is the Open. Plus with NBC now getting the British, it makes that more enticing. I'm sure Fox has the money, but if Feherty's main passion is to cover golf and be heard, I can't see why he would go to Fox??

But who really watches those events besides the U.S. Open?

The assertion was that perhaps he would be able to make the same amount of money while only working one event.  He wouldn't only be working one event and that's all I was responding to.  The size of the audience isn't relevant.

Check out @CBSSportsGang's Tweet: https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/638752903365324800?s=09 CBS coverage up 25% in '15 over '14. Probably due more to Spieth than Feherty but who knows how this played into the negotiations.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-david-feherty-is-walking

Quote:

Multiple sources say the CBS situation was soured by the two factors: Feherty wanted a booth job rather than roaming the fairways, but Nick Faldo already shares that duty with Jim Nantz; and CAA was demanding a salary figure CBS was unwilling to meet.

Feherty would be a huge boost for Fox, whose debut at the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay was roundly panned. It would also appear to be a good fit since Fox has an appetite for the kind of outspoken comments to which Feherty is prone.

But the drawback there is that Fox has only the USGA tournaments on its golf schedule. Would Feherty be happy doing only the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and the U.S. Amateur?

NBC has the British Open, starting in 2017, the Ryder Cup, the Players Championship and numerous other PGA Tour events. And it has Golf Channel, where Feherty’s interview show already has a life. NBC/GC would also be extremely unlikely to share Feherty with Fox as it did with CBS. It will be an all-or-nothing choice for him.

The lead analyst for NBC is Johnny Miller, who is hugely popular and hugely disliked simultaneously, the true indication of a great commentator. Miller, 68, may be wanting to cut down on his schedule and NBC may be able to offer Feherty that job down the road.

But sources familiar with the thinking within NBC/GC say the peacock network is cultivating David Duval for Miller's job and wants Feherty, 57, as boots on the ground, the job he seems tired of at CBS.

And that brings Fox Sports back into the picture.

Yes, Fox has Greg Norman as its lead analyst, backing up Joe Buck in the booth. But Norman is the most successful businessman in golf this side of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player and doesn't really need the gig. Mostly, he's doing friends there a favor -- he and Fox owner Rupert Murdoch are Australian, and Murdoch backed Norman's ill-fated plan to create a world tour in 1994.

Clearly, Feherty has more interest in being out there more often than Norman. Feherty has a lucrative cottage industry as a public speaker enhanced by his TV appearances at tournaments, a plus for NBC/GC. But just as clearly, Fox has more money to throw at Feherty than Comcast.

In any case, this will be yet another battle in the content wars for live sports that will be interesting to follow.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Pretty indifferent to Feherty. I certainly don't get just plain irritated like I do with McCord but I won't miss him either.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The assertion was that perhaps he would be able to make the same amount of money while only working one event.  He wouldn't only be working one event and that's all I was responding to.  The size of the audience isn't relevant.

The size of the audience might be relevant to him. These guys want their voice heard. They want exposure. You don't get much of a voice doing only one real tournament that people watch. Plus David loves the PGA Tour...I don't think he gets fired up doing a US Women's Amatuer event. I'm sure Fox is going to make a huge run at him and be willing to dump Norman, but I'd be surprised if that's a gig that Feherty would want. If it's true that NBC is coveting Duval to take over Miller and CBS is content with Faldo, then Feherty is just not going to get a place in the booth unless he's content doing one PGA tournament a year.

I'm reasonably shocked to hear this David Duval talk. I like his perspective in relatively small quantities on the 'Live From' golf channel broadcasts but to me he is still pretty dull and doesn't have the voice, charisma, or presence to anchor a booth job.
  • Upvote 1

I'm reasonably shocked to hear this David Duval talk. I like his perspective in relatively small quantities on the 'Live From' golf channel broadcasts but to me he is still pretty dull and doesn't have the voice, charisma, or presence to anchor a booth job.

Can you imagine Feherty and Duval in the booth together?

If they could work that, Feherty might be able to loosen up Duval, or they might dislike each other intently...

But wonder if there is any chemistry...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Can you imagine Feherty and Duval in the booth together? If they could work that, Feherty might be able to loosen up Duval, or they might dislike each other intently... But wonder if there is any chemistry...

Doubt any network would put 2 analysts in the booth together. Could add Hicks as the play-by-play voice and try a 3-man.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Doubt any network would put 2 analysts in the booth together. Could add Hicks as the play-by-play voice and try a 3-man.

Yes, was thinking about that .. I'd give David the play-by-play role, let Feherty roll, and let David chime in to give reason to Davids' analysis.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!