IGNORED

Taking good balls from range buckets

Cupcakus
Note: This thread is 3300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hang in there, Ongle. I hope you stick around. It's sad that the powers see necessary to bully the new guy.  The real crime here is not about range balls. It's that you don't agree with them. I wonder how many of these 'holier than thou' types have: 1) driven a car after having a few cocktails, or 2) cheated on their spouse, or 3) lied to anyone, ever, or 4) failed to pay tax on a internet purchase, 5) etc, etc, etc But you damn well better believe they'd NEVER consider picking a brand new ProV from a range bucket. Not a chance.

We are not discussing those things and no bullying occurred here Kenny.-Oh but do not let the facts get in the way of claiming victim status please.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there, Ongle. I hope you stick around. It's sad that the powers see necessary to bully the new guy.

The real crime here is not about range balls. It's that you don't agree with them.

I wonder how many of these 'holier than thou' types have:

1) driven a car after having a few cocktails, or

2) cheated on their spouse, or

3) lied to anyone, ever, or

4) failed to pay tax on a internet purchase,

5) etc, etc, etc

But you damn well better believe they'd NEVER consider picking a brand new ProV from a range bucket. Not a chance.

No one, especially me is holier than anyone. . .

That being said:

1) Not after my sister in law was killed by a drunk driver 8 years ago.

2) Never, even with any and all temptations while traveling to the far east.

3) I refuse to answer this one to protect the innocent. :whistle:

4) I don't actually know how you could get around paying taxes on purchases, so no.

5) Yes, these things are little in some cases, and not so little in others.

Really, just because other people do it doesn't make it okay.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm only surprised that after reading and reflecting on this thread, that some think it's still fine to put a ball, which a range has leased to them for a fee, into their pocket.

It's one thing to not be aware of the moral dilemma. It's another, once confronted with the issues, to not change their thought and behavior. And we are talking about a game that involves self-policing and honesty.

Oh, well, it's not that surprising.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not sure what you fixed, but thanks. :-)

I changed "wrong" to "other." ;) It's OT so nobody need answer but I'm curious what people's feelings are on hitting balls left behind by others. (Particularly if you see them before your purchase and hit them IN LIEU of buying your own bucket)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Not sure what you fixed, but thanks.

I changed "wrong" to "other." ;)

It's OT so nobody need answer but I'm curious what people's feelings are on hitting balls left behind by others. (Particularly if you see them before your purchase and hit them IN LIEU of buying your own bucket)

Thanks.

So this kind of bothered me before, but as we have unlimited balls I just hit them. When I leave balls in a stall I usually invite someone to hit the remaining balls.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks. So this kind of bothered me before, but as we have unlimited balls I just hit them. When I leave balls in a stall I usually invite someone to hit the remaining balls.

Lol - you dont count then. What I'm getting at is that I believe that it's a lot more costly for the range when somebody who comes with the intent to give them $10 doesn't because they got lucky rather than the guy who took a ball that wasn't his out of the bucket that wasn't really the ranges ball either. Since you aren't paying by the ball then it obviously isnt relevant to you. :)

I play at a private course, no problem for taking a nice ball from the range bucket. They don't care. At a public range I don't see where it's an issue if you find the occasional nice ball and take it. It's generally in there by accident and it's put to better use with a golfer on a course. I once found a nice Maxfli revolution (circa late 90s iirc) and put it in my pocket and then asked on the way out. The range bordered a golf course. They had no issue with it.

—Adam

I've taken ProV1s and other good balls from the range bucket. All of our range balls are yellow. I've taken them before, not taken them before; just depends on how fresh they look and how broke I am :-P

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

If I find a non-range ball in the bucket I usually save it for the driver. I have always figured that someone hit one of their own balls at the range or it was an errant shot

from the first tee and it got scooped up by the ball retriever cart(target).

I do not understand that these obvious non-range balls are the property of the golf course. If I find a ball on the course should I return it to the lost and found at the club house?

Are the guys that fish the balls out of the lakes stealing?

Doug

• Administrator
I do not understand that these obvious non-range balls are the property of the golf course. If I find a ball on the course should I return it to the lost and found at the club house?

IANAL, but I believe they're the property of the person who finds it after it's abandoned by the owner.

On the golf course, maybe that's you if you find a Pro V1x in the weeds looking for your Top-Flite. If the ball is in the range basket, then the range found it and subsequently rented it to you.

Some courses do not allow people to go into the ponds to retrieve balls (liability issues, plus you're still on private property). Some courses also do this because they recover the balls and then sell them.

But IANAL, and I don't retrieve balls from water hazards unless they're my ball and it's easily reached without any danger (of falling in, of alligators, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think that's a much more grey area. Most people would say until the course employee actually picks the ball up it's fair game, others believe that you should leave lost balls alone so the course can generate more revenue through resale of them or something similar. At the one course I play I happened to be there right after they received delivery of 2 very large *approximately 2x the size of a regular pillow case* bags of balls that they got from someone who retrieved them from the ponds on the course. I will go searching through the OB areas *still on the course not into the fields or other people's property* and woods for golf balls when I'm trying to kill time if I have to wait. However, I tend to lose those same balls at the same course again anyway. I'm starting to think playing a found ball is a bad idea, it seems that those balls want to be lost.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Lol - you dont count then. What I'm getting at is that I believe that it's a lot more costly for the range when somebody who comes with the intent to give them $10 doesn't because they got lucky rather than the guy who took a ball that wasn't his out of the bucket that wasn't really the ranges ball either. Since you aren't paying by the ball then it obviously isnt relevant to you. :)

Good point Drew. Or the guy who pays for unlimited balls each month and invites 4 of his golfing buddies to join in on the freebies every time he hits the range. Or the guy who hits his last 10 balls off the recovering grass, even though the range is clearly operating as mats only. Honestly the debate is so minor I'm genuinely stunned that it has garnered so many replies. On a range owner's list of business concerns, the guy who pockets the 1 pro-v out of 500 that he leases probably wouldn't crack the top 50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Lol - you dont count then. What I'm getting at is that I believe that it's a lot more costly for the range when somebody who comes with the intent to give them $10 doesn't because they got lucky rather than the guy who took a ball that wasn't his out of the bucket that wasn't really the ranges ball either.

Since you aren't paying by the ball then it obviously isnt relevant to you. :)

Good point Drew. Or the guy who pays for unlimited balls each month and invites 4 of his golfing buddies to join in on the freebies every time he hits the range. Or the guy who hits his last 10 balls off the recovering grass, even though the range is clearly operating as mats only.

Honestly the debate is so minor I'm genuinely stunned that it has garnered so many replies. On a range owner's list of business concerns, the guy who pockets the 1 pro-v out of 500 that he leases probably wouldn't crack the top 50.

They explicitly tell you not to do things like this, so it's not a gray area. It's against the rules.

I think the main issue is following rules no matter how obscure or harmless they appear.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Good point Drew. Or the guy who pays for unlimited balls each month and invites 4 of his golfing buddies to join in on the freebies every time he hits the range. Or the guy who hits his last 10 balls off the recovering grass, even though the range is clearly operating as mats only. Honestly the debate is so minor I'm genuinely stunned that it has garnered so many replies. On a range owner's list of business concerns, the guy who pockets the 1 pro-v out of 500 that he leases probably wouldn't crack the top 50.

I was looking at range passes, and specifically asked if I could bring my daughter along and share (she was 5 at the time)... One range said no, she would have to get a pass too. The other range said, yea, that's fine. Just don't abuse it and start inviting all your buddies along. I went with the second option.

Honestly the debate is so minor I'm genuinely stunned that it has garnered so many replies. On a range owner's list of business concerns, the guy who pockets the 1 pro-v out of 500 that he leases probably wouldn't crack the top 50.

This sums up my thoughts on this thread perfectly.  I've joined into the discussion precisely because it fascinates me so much that so many people are adamant about this on both sides. :)

I am very picky with which balls I play. I find quite a few balls each round and end up hitting them all into the local range out of courtesy. On the rare occasion that I find the ball that I am playing in perfect condition, I have absolutely no trouble taking it. My guess is that this happens on a 50:1 ratio. The club doesn't know that I do this as far as I know, but im pretty darn sure they would have zero problems with my behavior. That being said, I must now admit that I'm a dirty thief for what I do and that my behavior cannot be lightened through justification. I guess I should turn myself in before I start my round tomorrow...

Note: This thread is 3300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!