IGNORED

My Swing (Dave325)

Dave325
Note: This thread is 1087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, collapse said:

IMO I think you should be focusing on the flat lead wrist at impact,you are very cupped in this video....also it is ok to hit low hooks when working on things,better than slices,but hitting low hooks for the right reason is important.I think your low hooks are for the wrong reason.

Thanks for the input. Yes, the flat left wrist was something that I was focusing on this summer, but it probably got away from me, so thanks for the pointing that out. I believe that the 5SK changed the Key #3 from the flat left wrist to the club being inline with the lead arm at impact, right? (inline impact, as Erik pointed out)

5 hours ago, iacas said:

I've come to pretty much accept that you can't really "focus on a flat lead wrist." I've said "Lag happens" and what I mean by that is that "inline impact" is just a result of other things being done properly and in the proper sequence. There's no real way to say "okay, on this one, I'm going to try to have a flat lead wrist" and make it so… not in a full golf swing.

Interesting insight, Erik. So.... I understand that the lag happens due to a few things.... Key 2 - weight forward and something I noticed was the right elbow staying bent up until the point of impact.... I try to feel as though the right elbow is stuck to my side for the longest time through the downswing (not sure it that is right or wrong), but somehow... it helps ensure that I hit the sweetspot (specially with my driver).

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

And that would be kind of silly because it's not something you just decide to do or not do. As @iacas said, Key #3 is more of a result of other pieces that occur before impact. You can focus on a flat left wrist all you want but if you're not transferring your weight properly you've got no chance.

So... are there other items that ensures the Key#3 that I am missing in my swing?  I see that the weight shift is the major item for this.

Thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 hours ago, collapse said:

ok...I'll leave it there...but I have a different opinion on that...thanks

You're entitled to. Everyone can read the opinions of Mike and myself… and compare them to yours, weigh the backgrounds, knowledge base, etc. and reach a conclusion. I'm perfectly content with that.

7 hours ago, Dave325 said:

Thanks for the input. Yes, the flat left wrist was something that I was focusing on this summer, but it probably got away from me, so thanks for the pointing that out. I believe that the 5SK changed the Key #3 from the flat left wrist to the club being inline with the lead arm at impact, right? (inline impact, as Erik pointed out)

Yes, Inline Impact is Key #3. It was "Flat Left Wrist" but we changed it for two reasons.

Interesting insight, Erik. So.... I understand that the lag happens due to a few things.... Key 2 - weight forward and something I noticed was the right elbow staying bent up until the point of impact.... I try to feel as though the right elbow is stuck to my side for the longest time through the downswing (not sure it that is right or wrong), but somehow... it helps ensure that I hit the sweetspot (specially with my driver).

Good. If the feel helps or works for you, I'm all for it.

So... are there other items that ensures the Key#3 that I am missing in my swing?  I see that the weight shift is the major item for this.

For a lot of players who have #1 and #2 down pretty well, it's often a matter of the trail elbow location or the rate/sequencing at which the hands come down.

Sometimes it's a Key #4 issue affecting Key #3 too. But less often than the above two, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

For a lot of players who have #1 and #2 down pretty well, it's often a matter of the trail elbow location or the rate/sequencing at which the hands come down.

Yep, what he said.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

You're entitled to. Everyone can read the opinions of Mike and myself… and compare them to yours, weigh the backgrounds, knowledge base, etc. and reach a conclusion. I'm perfectly content with that.

Yes, Inline Impact is Key #3. It was "Flat Left Wrist" but we changed it for two reasons.

Good. If the feel helps or works for you, I'm all for it.

Sometimes it's a Key #4 issue affecting Key #3 too. But less often than the above two, IMO.

Can you possibly add some details on the "two reasons" for the change? Please excuse me if I missed that on a previous post.

Dave

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dave325 said:

Can you possibly add some details on the "two reasons" for the change? Please excuse me if I missed that on a previous post.

I have in several places, so that's why I was brief there. I'll be "medium-length" here. :-)

• Left-handed players don't want a flat left wrist at impact.
  • Strong grips, or impact positions like Lee Westwood's with the bent left elbow, don't have an anatomically flat left wrist, but the shaft still points at their lead shoulder at impact.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I have in several places, so that's why I was brief there. I'll be "medium-length" here. :-)

• Left-handed players don't want a flat left wrist at impact.
  • Strong grips, or impact positions like Lee Westwood's with the bent left elbow, don't have an anatomically flat left wrist, but the shaft still points at their lead shoulder at impact.

Thanks, Erik. I guess we could to keep a flat LEAD wrist, but I understnd the inline impact. I noticed that Adam Scott has a bowed lead wrist at the top of the swing. I was experimenting with the flat wrist yesterday and noticed that a stronger grip promotes more cupping of the wrist. So, to keep it flat in the backswing, I had to think mentally about rotating the left wrist slightly on the backswing (counter-clockwise when looking down at the wrist). Not sure if I should be concerned with this, or just focus on weight forwad to promote an inline at impact.

Dave

I have been working on some of the suggestions from the last posting (but with the driver). Key#3 specifically - Inline Impact (artist formerly known as, Flat Left Wrist).... and something I posted earlier today about. After experimenting, I noticed that slightly rotating the wrist outward on the backswing, caused me to come into a flat left wrist at the top of my swing (using a strong grip). This also helped with the Inline Impact. So, it seems what I do in the backswing, heavily influences my impact. I am also working with start of the backswing with a one-piece takeaway (used to start with the wrist). With all these changes I would really appreciate input on my swing mechanics here. Thanks in advance for your comments. 

Dave

22 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

I have been working on some of the suggestions from the last posting (but with the driver). Key#3 specifically - Inline Impact (artist formerly known as, Flat Left Wrist).... and something I posted earlier today about. After experimenting, I noticed that slightly rotating the wrist outward on the backswing, caused me to come into a flat left wrist at the top of my swing (using a strong grip). This also helped with the Inline Impact. So, it seems what I do in the backswing, heavily influences my impact. I am also working with start of the backswing with a one-piece takeaway (used to start with the wrist). With all these changes I would really appreciate input on my swing mechanics here. Thanks in advance for your comments. 

Well....personally,I'm trying to find something I don't like in this post and swing...but I can't.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

This what I mean about bias towards the target...it's shifting the hips to the left .It's creating the tension needed to unwind from the top.

swing325325.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Few things I would recommend.

- Bump the hips a little more forward at address.
- Allow the left knee to flex inward longer. I'd say this is the priority right now.
- On the downswing, transfer the weight forward and open and the hips. For now just do this slowly while making practice swings. The left knee movement will help this.

Some early extension is fine, even good but you do it too much. Also note how much weight you have on your right foot. 

566c627ce4b72_dave1.thumb.jpg.af6a6eaba1

Would like to see the left knee/thigh work more like this. As the left knee gains flex, allow it to move inward. This weill help you turn more and make it easier to transfer the weight on the downswing.

566c627db1741_dave2.thumb.jpg.ad1702624b

Weight is forward and the hips are open. Good players also don't "maintain" the bend in their right arm. It still has some flex at impact but it's in the "act of straightening". 

566c627b899a4_dave3.thumb.jpg.de75b9ab51

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, collapse said:

This what I mean about bias towards the target...it's shifting the hips to the left .It's creating the tension needed to unwind from the top.

You can't "coil up" so that you can "unwind" all on its own, if that's what you're implying. From the top of anyone's backswing, if they just "let go" or something… nothing much would happen.

Besides, a week ago you couldn't find anything wrong… :-P

On December 12, 2015 at 1:16 PM, mvmac said:

Few things I would recommend.

- Bump the hips a little more forward at address.
- Allow the left knee to flex inward longer. I'd say this is the priority right now.
- On the downswing, transfer the weight forward and open and the hips. For now just do this slowly while making practice swings. The left knee movement will help this.

Some early extension is fine, even good but you do it too much. Also note how much weight you have on your right foot. 

566c627ce4b72_dave1.thumb.jpg.af6a6eaba1

Would like to see the left knee/thigh work more like this. As the left knee gains flex, allow it to move inward. This weill help you turn more and make it easier to transfer the weight on the downswing.

566c627db1741_dave2.thumb.jpg.ad1702624b

Weight is forward and the hips are open. Good players also don't "maintain" the bend in their right arm. It still has some flex at impact but it's in the "act of straightening". 

566c627b899a4_dave3.thumb.jpg.de75b9ab51

Mvmac - Thanks for the advice... The  info on the left knee really helped. This seemed to have improved my distance and accuracy when I was doing it right.  I started working on that and it seemed to help my rotation. On the first point you made about bumping the hip forward at address... I was little confused. Is this at the setup? And does this mean that the weight is forward before the backswing?

Dave

Spent a lot of time working on the items shared above by @mvmacand @iacas regarding the left knee flex, hip bump at address something I am still struggling with... the ubiquitous bent right elbow, and preventing the straightening before impact. I think it may be close, but not sure if I maybe created other problems. It feels good, but something doesn't quite look right. I would appreciate any and all observations and comments on my swing. Thanks in advance....

Dave

• Administrator

Looks good. Somewhat smaller swings than you'd normally make?

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Looks good. Somewhat smaller swings than you'd normally make?

Yes, I was trying out some of the concepts that Mike mentioned and slowed it down with practice swings as he recommended. Do you think my left hip may have been coming back a bit too far?

Dave

New Swing videos with driver, after working on the the last couple concepts... as related above (forward knee flex inward and bump hips forward at address). I noticed that it is easier to get weight forward with slightly more knee bend. It seems to help with the push forward on the downswing. I welcome any and all comments. Thanks!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Starting off the new year with a determination to fix my right elbow problems. I worked for an solid hour on this (keeping my right elbow bent and not extending too early before impact... slowing things down a lot). This is something that my Evolvr coach has been working with me on. It is the hardest thing that I have run into. I picked up the Callaway Easy Swing to try and get the feel, but its not coming very fast. Maybe I am not doing something I should be doing with my practice.... or maybe I should just be patient and keep working on it. Any all suggestions here are very much appreciated. I am still planning to get up to Erie in February and want to get this issue fixed before then (I don't want Erik to through me out the door ;-)). For me... the road to Erie goes through my right elbow. 

Dave

Note: This thread is 1087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!