IGNORED

I Saw a Woman Playing Alone

iacas
Note: This thread is 1092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't think i have ever seen a lone female golfer myself. Mostly its a two or a four that i see and generally middle age upwards.

I'd much rather be held up by the ladies at my course then the "gentlemen" as they are much more chatty and courteous than many of the old guard at my local.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have seen women golfing alone quite a lot. I lived in Iowa for 15 years and was a member at Coldwater Golf Links, which is one of the 2 home courses for the Iowa State Cyclone Golf Teams. My group's usual tee time was first off Sunday Morning. My group would nearly always see one of several ISU golfers on the course. Sometimes they'd be playing alone, sometimes they would play in a group, sometimes their coaches were there, sometimes not. 

There is a terribly tragic story about an ISU women's golfer who was attacked and killed on that course while playing alone this past September. You can google it, or read this month's edition of Golf Magazine which has a very well written 6 page article about her. I almost cried when I read it. It's terrible and I could picture everything as I've probably played 500 times on that course. I know it better than any other course in the world, I know the owners, I was their 20th member ever, I hit my first hole-in-one on that course, My wife and I played as team in their Golf-toberfest tournament every year. I have a million "golf stories" from that course. Now, a lot of that is ruined. Because of some Meth-head A-hole now I think about that course in a completely different way. 

My heart goes out to the Iowa State team (my alma-mater of sorts, I got an MBA there). Even though it is a very sad story. I do encourage you to read it, and maybe give an extra hug to a female golfer that you love.

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have seen women golfing alone quite a lot. I lived in Iowa for 15 years and was a member at Coldwater Golf Links, which is one of the 2 home courses for the Iowa State Cyclone Golf Teams. My group's usual tee time was first off Sunday Morning. My group would nearly always see one of several ISU golfers on the course. Sometimes they'd be playing alone, sometimes they would play in a group, sometimes their coaches were there, sometimes not. 

There is a terribly tragic story about an ISU women's golfer who was attacked and killed on that course while playing alone this past September. You can google it, or read this month's edition of Golf Magazine which has a very well written 6 page article about her. I almost cried when I read it. It's terrible and I could picture everything as I've probably played 500 times on that course. I know it better than any other course in the world, I know the owners, I was their 20th member ever, I hit my first hole-in-one on that course, My wife and I played as team in their Golf-toberfest tournament every year. I have a million "golf stories" from that course. Now, a lot of that is ruined. Because of some Meth-head A-hole now I think about that course in a completely different way. 

My heart goes out to the Iowa State team (my alma-mater of sorts, I got an MBA there). Even though it is a very sad story. I do encourage you to read it, and maybe give an extra hug to a female golfer that you love.

Horrible!

iowa-state-death.jpg?w=640

Celia Barquin Arozamena, who completed her college career at Iowa State earlier this year, was killed Monday at a golf course in Ames, Iowa. The...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/6/2015 at 12:47 PM, iacas said:

The other day while rating a golf course, I saw a woman, about 55 and probably about an 18-22 handicap, playing golf alone.

She had a push cart. She dropped an extra ball once that I saw and hit it. She played 18 holes.

And I couldn't shake how odd the whole thing seemed to me.

Seriously, though, when's the last time you saw someone meeting that description playing alone?

Whether it's simply because women tend to be more social creatures or what, I don't know, but while I've seen plenty of GUYS playing by themselves, I don't think I've ever seen an older woman who isn't a competitive amateur (in scratch type events, I mean) playing by herself.

There's no judgment here of any kind - I was happy for her, truly, because I do think some women miss out on some of the good things that come with playing golf by yourself.

I just found it odd, and even now, days later, cannot shake that feeling. Good for her, though.

I agree, good for her.....junkies come in all forms!

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Par 3 course, but I’ll post anyway...

2272BC4E-FD6F-4714-A012-ADBB0E16DABB.thumb.jpeg.7a2b8a06aa98a9e74fefd091250cf0c0.jpeg

They exist but now I’ll snap pics 😎

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

Par 3 course, but I’ll post anyway...

2272BC4E-FD6F-4714-A012-ADBB0E16DABB.thumb.jpeg.7a2b8a06aa98a9e74fefd091250cf0c0.jpeg

They exist but now I’ll snap pics 😎

Stalker! :-P

FWIW I play a lot with woman golfers and most don't play alone. I have seen a few and played with a single a couple of times. It is encouraging for the future of the game of golf to see more woman and young people playing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Yeah, thought that while snapping the picture, but she was cool with it after I asked...

FWIW I play a lot with woman golfers and most don't play alone. I have seen a few and played with a single a couple of times. It is encouraging for the future of the game of golf to see more woman and young people playing.

It is. Most women I know on the courses are part of clubs, and more women can get partners more readily than the men in my area and my home courses. That will likely  change as more women work in more challenging vocations...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Was this @Lihuafter taking the pic? :-D

large.gif

Edited by RussUK
  • Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

34 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Was this @Lihuafter taking the pic? :-D

large.gif

🤪😁😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I got paired up with a young woman in her mid-20's while playing Steele Canyon in San Diego this summer. She had played in college, was totally cool and played from the same tees as I was. I beat her, but not by a lot.

I reported the sighting to my friends as if I'd seen Bigfoot riding a Unicorn.

My wife and I were playing in Tampa on vacation a few years ago & were paired with a single (woman, in her early to mid 30's).    She was a local, so we invited her to tee off first.    I was playing the white tee's and she walked back to the blue tee's ... I almost instinctively said to her the ladies tee's were up in front where my wife tee's off from.   Turns out was the best decision of my life to not say anything and watch her walk back to the blue tee's.    First sign I didn't notice was the Titleist AP2 forged irons in her bag.    Second sign was that lovely full release and extension with her driver that young limber players like Michele Wie have.    Wife looks at me and mutters under her breath - lets see you beat THAT (I hit 240-ish)!!    Needless to say, I didn't.    She had to be out there around 250-260 - rest of her game was solid too.      Of course I instinctively tried to keep pace with her & began overswinging & my game went to hell.    I finished the round a bit demoralized, but she was very pleasant and we enjoyed a nice afternoon, and I have to say I found it sexy as hell to see a woman hit a golf ball like that...      

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On 1/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, cindysbike said:

I'm an older gal, new to the game, and really enjoy playing as a single.  There's only so much you can learn with an instructor or at the driving range.  There comes a time when you have to put it all together play an actual course.  Since I'm still a "newbie", I'm very self-conscious about my play and prefer not to inflict my gaffes onto others.  I enjoy walking the course and make sure that I don't slow down others that are playing behind me. So, if you see me out there, give a smile and a wave, I'm really not an illusion!

My wife retired last year and previously would never play alone. She ended up joining two  ladies leagues, with strangers. She met a bunch of nice folks and took 5 strokes off her handicap (23 to 18). She's gonna be club treasurer at one of them this year. Besides improving, she really learned about the rules of golf.

Enjoy the journey

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, uitar9 said:

Enjoy the journey

I second that - I fully support ladies golf ... some of the best golf I've played has been with my wife ... not sure why, maybe she's my good luck charm

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On 1/21/2019 at 5:44 AM, uitar9 said:

My wife retired last year and previously would never play alone. She ended up joining two  ladies leagues, with strangers. She met a bunch of nice folks and took 5 strokes off her handicap (23 to 18). She's gonna be club treasurer at one of them this year. Besides improving, she really learned about the rules of golf.

Enjoy the journey

I recently got my wife to start drinking Yerba Mate, hoping golf will be next 😁

Just saw one more lady playing my home course.

Until I started noting this, I never really counted how many ladies are out there on their own. OTOH, we have 3 lady Marshalls, and it’s a safer, more public and wide open where you can see three fairways over at times.

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 7 months later...

I pretty much learned the game of golf on a course which was the home course for a college ladies golf team, so I often saw female golfers playing alone. Most of them were college team players. I lived on a golf course which was the home course for a high-school team, both boys and girls were often out there practicing alone or in groups. 

Having said that, I saw something new this week. I saw a very mature lady... I'm guess no less than 70 years of age. I know, I know it's impolite to guess at a woman's age. 

Anyhoo, get this... She was not only playing alone, but carrying her bag! She was slinging what looked to be a Sun Mountain carry bag (not a Sunday bag). It only had like 7 clubs in it. Something like Driver, fairway wood, fairway wood, hybrid, only a single iron, a wedge and a putter. 

Personally, I only saw her hit 2 shots; A driver, which went about 120 and a fairway wood, which went nearly the same distance. She hit them dead straight. Plus, nobody could have complained about her pace of play. She hit it, walked up to it, put her bag down and hit it again. 

I was totally impressed. I'm guessing this lady started playing in the Eisenhouer administration. Way to go, lady! 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!