IGNORED

I Saw a Woman Playing Alone

iacas
Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, FlyingAce said:

Is it really that rare to see women golfers? And for them to play alone?

It's rare to see female players playing alone, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

1) Is it really that rare to see women golfers? And for them to play alone?

2) In the last 2 years at my club, I have only been paired up twice with someone else as a single. Maybe next season I will try to play with other people more often. 

1) Here in Vancouver it's not rare to see women golfing...especially Asian female golfers....lots of Asian women playing with their husbands or in other groups of Asian women....these women also playing in the winter muck too.

Rare to see a white woman playing in the winter.

I've seen my fair share of Asian women playing alone....although it is more uncommon....courses here are busy...so it's not common to see golfers playing alone.

2) Is your club not busy?....can't you wait to go out and play with others?

If your course is busy....I can't see the pro shop sending out singles.

You're a 5.5 cap...one would think there would be a lot of members wanting to play with a competent golfer...especially a skilled female golfer.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mr22putt said:

1) Here in Vancouver it's not rare to see women golfing...especially Asian female golfers....lots of Asian women playing with their husbands or in other groups of Asian women....these women also playing in the winter muck too.

But… alone?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

But… alone?

Yes, alone.....mostly Asian women....there's one course I play...and more often that not...... I'll see this crazy Korean woman often playing alone....I've played a handful of times with her...I'll yet over to her to join us if I see her...but she's a nut ball and will play a couple of holes with us and then take off and play on her own....this course has 36 holes...she'll go and wander around.....she's an annual member...she might play everyday when the weather is ok....this course doesn't monitor play or the 1st tee...and at times...especially the weekdays...the courses are not busy...so golfers just do as they please.

She's so funny...her English is poor and she'll say stuff to me and I have no idea what she's sayin....lol.

These females playing alone are often at courses out in the suburbs which aren't overly busy and mostly late in the day...I often play twilight.

You won't find golfers male or female playing alone on courses closer to Vancouver or the muni's where the tee sheets are near capacity.....obviously the exception is very late in the day with maybe 2 hours or less of daylight. 

Yes...seeing a woman playing alone is uncommon, but not "unicorn" rare here in Van City....Asians are kinda golf crazed here....where else would you see ( I saw this back in 2013) a set of limited edition Maruman clubs for $79.995.00 at a retail golf chain...Golftown.....the taxes alone are $9,600.

On the flip side....if I go to a specific range here....I'll quite often see some women come to the range on their own to practice.

I just looked at our women’s association directory, of the 126 members, only 3 are Asians.  I personally know at least 5 other women who play as singles regularly.

My club has 3 9-hole course and I can almost always find a spot to play alone,  except on Saturday/Sunday mornings. 

It is very common to see multiple singles back to back on the tee sheet midweek/weekend afternoon, and they all go out as singles. It’s really not that busy.

I don’t think anyone knows my handicap unless they know who I am and purposely look it up. The regulars who see me out there all the time are usually at capacity (5) already.  We book our tee times online and if I see a threesome I want to join, I am supposed to ask the members or have the proshop ask if they want to play with me. I cannot just add myself or show up to fill that spot. I was told that’s how it works at my club.

36 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I don’t think anyone knows my handicap unless they know who I am and purposely look it up. The regulars who see me out there all the time are usually at capacity (5) already.  We book our tee times online and if I see a threesome I want to join, I am supposed to ask the members or have the proshop ask if they want to play with me. I cannot just add myself or show up to fill that spot. I was told that’s how it works at my club.

It's a shame that you need "permission' to play in another group...especially a golfer who is a single cap and a fast player ....doesn't sound like your club is very friendly.

I would think at most clubs...that a female golfer with a single cap would be a popular player to be paired up with.

I use to play in a casual golf league here. There use to be 3 separate Korean female golfers...my friend and I got to know them and played often with them outside the league. 2 of the ladies shot 100+ and the other was about a 9 or 10 cap with broken English. Many guys in the league would be asking the league coordinator if they could be paired up with these ladies....no one cared if they shot 80 or 110.

My husband thinks it is the culture of the club. Most have their own group already and don’t want to play with anyone else. 

What’s weird is that there are 4 people (current coach, 2 ex-coach, 1 club pro) who knows my handicap and that I have been working on improving my driver specifically.   All of them, at one point or another, told me that if I hit any further with my driver, no one will want to play with me! Huh?!

33 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

All of them, at one point or another, told me that if I hit any further with my driver, no one will want to play with me! Huh?!

So your club is full of insecure LOSERS/TOOLS?😂

Who do I make my initiation check to?

8 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

My husband thinks it is the culture of the club. Most have their own group already and don’t want to play with anyone else. 

What’s weird is that there are 4 people (current coach, 2 ex-coach, 1 club pro) who knows my handicap and that I have been working on improving my driver specifically.   All of them, at one point or another, told me that if I hit any further with my driver, no one will want to play with me! Huh?!

I can't make sense of that.  I love getting paired with a friendly, impressive golfer.  I imagine it would be doubly so if it were a woman.

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I can't make sense of that.  I love getting paired with a friendly, impressive golfer.  I imagine it would be doubly so if it were a woman.

Other resort courses in my area will also try their best NOT to pair people up unless necessary. Only city courses will fill to capacity at all times. I have never played the other 2 private clubs so I don’t know how they run things. It is definitely different at my club.

14 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Is it really that rare to see women golfers? And for them to play alone?

Not only is it not rare to see women playing golf, I find that it is a common occurrence.

In my experience, however I do find that it is rare to see women playing alone.  Also, it is my experience that, when I see a woman playing alone, she is much more likely than not to be Asian.  

I was paired with a group of woman a few months ago. Very pleasant round, nice ladies.

The odd thing was that they were very on edge of a group behind us. If they noticed a group behind us they automatically assumed they were annoyed and would say to each other, I bet they are annoyed a bunch of broads are holding them up. 

Very odd thought process. The wait was a normal pause period, nothing outrageous for my playing partners to feel this way. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

It's amazing to me how old this thread is, but at the same time, how perfectly relevant is still is.

Where I play most, it's very rare to see women playing. Those who do are almost always with their husbands. It's even very rare to see 2 women play together.

On the other hand, at another local course, they have a thriving women's association and tournament group. It's a pretty expensive course to play, so maybe this becomes an economic question, those playing in the association being better off and having more leisure time. I honestly don't know.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

11 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

So your club is full of insecure LOSERS/TOOLS?😂

Who do I make my initiation check to?

That's the point of paying to belong to a private club. You can make your own private groups...:offtopic:

9 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

That's the point of paying to belong to a private club. You can make your own private groups...:offtopic:

You can also make your own private groups on a public course and book a 4some and also pay for a 4 green fees if you only have 1, 2, 3, or 4 players.

A private club can make up their own policies....I guess if a single...especially a competent and fast player (male or female) needs 'permission' to join up others groups...maybe it's just as well to play as a single vs. playing with a bunch of golfers who aren't accommodating to play with other members of the club.

To each their own...but I/we have never declined to be paired up with others nor have I never not asked a single who has caught up to us to us or let them play through if there's no one in front.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, Southern by Choice said:

I can understand your hesitancy to play with others, but it will actually be good for your game.  If the GUYS can avoid offering unsolicited tips 😉, you can  learn course management, club selection, and golf etiquette...just by observing.  I’m NOT a good player, but as long as I can keep up, I’ve always felt welcomed into other groups.  Heck, I can often complete my 6 strokes in less time than some people score their 4's!

Yes! Golf is as much a social activity as an athletic one! 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Vinsk said:

Lol! A little Glenlivet no doubt.

Glenliver is NOT Bourbon! Probably Elijah Craig or Maker's Mark! 

59 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

You can also make your own private groups on a public course and book a 4some and also pay for a 4 green fees if you only have 1, 2, 3, or 4 players.

A private club can make up their own policies....I guess if a single...especially a competent and fast player (male or female) needs 'permission' to join up others groups...maybe it's just as well to play as a single vs. playing with a bunch of golfers who aren't accommodating to play with other members of the club.

To each their own...but I/we have never declined to be paired up with others nor have I never not asked a single who has caught up to us to us or let them play through if there's no one in front.

Yep! And we've been asked to team up with othera on public courses. One time my buddy and I were a twosome, and a couple of ladies were a twosome. The course was REALLY crowded, and the starter came to us kind of apologetic asking if we'd mind playing with a couple of women. I asked if he knew anything about them, could they play? He said they were out there all the time, and would usually play 18 in just over 4 hours. So we said OK! 

Someone mentioned "uninvited" advice, which I am loath to give! But, one of the ladies was having trouble off the tee with the Driver. After another poor effort, she slammed her club down and said, "What is the matter with me? What am I doing wrong?!" That's when I decided to pipe up. I told her that I could see what she was doing, but I wouldn't tell her unless she absolutely wanted me to. Well, of course she wanted to know. 

She was hanging onto the club like crazy, and not getting anywhere near squaring the clubface. I demonstrated to her what she was doing, and what she should be doing! She seemed to be a natural mimic, since it didn't take her long to start piping drives right down the middle for good distance! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• 1 year later...

On my birthday I played 18 holes. I pretty much try to play every year on my birthday. Anyway, my neighbor and I had the first tee time off in the morning. But he got call out of town on a family emergency. So, I showed up at the course alone. I figured they'd pair me up. And they did. 

The guy in the clubhouse said there's another single on the putting green and I'd like you two to pair up. Turns out the single was a female. I'm guessing like 18-22 years old or so. She was clearly of Asian decent, but did not have even a trace of an accent. She's obviously a good golfer. Turns out she plays on the local college's team. Anyhow, she was fine playing with an ancient-old-dude like me and I was fine playing with a talented young person like her. It allowed me to count my round toward my handicap as well. 

Next time I played I saw her at the course. She was playing right behind my group. This time she was with another girl, who I took to be her sister because of what I thought was a strong family resemblance, but it could have just been a teammate. I was in a foursome of gentlemen about my age so we offered to let the twosome play through. They declined. I recognized her and I'm assuming she recognized me, but I didn't say anything to her other than "Do you want to play through." I really didn't want to come off as "creepy old-guy". 

A couple of holes they waited patiently for us. We offered more than one time to let them through, but they seemed to happy to wait and chit-chat with each other as they did. So we stopped offering. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!