IGNORED

I Saw a Woman Playing Alone

iacas
Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't remember this post but I'm glad it got bumped.

I played the frozen course a few weeks ago. I'd been given permission to play there and even emailed the manager to make sure it was ok and told him I'd settle up with him in the spring. 

Still, I had my reservations about whether I should be playing on frozen greens (however, on this particular day there didn't seem to be any danger of me hitting one with more than a chip). So when I saw a car pull up at the clubhouse from across several fairways, I became a bit paranoid that it might be a greenskeeper coming to chase me off.

I then saw this person load up a push cart and head out to the 10th tee. As we both meandered the course we eventually ended up next to one another. I was a bit surprised to see that this other golfer was a young lady... playing alone, on a deserted frozen Northern Michigan course... in February. 

We spoke briefly - she talked about having not played in several years - and then we went about finishing our rounds alone.

I've gotta say, the whole thing was weird, but in a really good way. You have to be pretty passionate about the game to get out there under those circumstances.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/6/2015 at 3:47 PM, iacas said:

The other day while rating a golf course, I saw a woman, about 55 and probably about an 18-22 handicap, playing golf alone.

She had a push cart. She dropped an extra ball once that I saw and hit it. She played 18 holes.

And I couldn't shake how odd the whole thing seemed to me.

Seriously, though, when's the last time you saw someone meeting that description playing alone?

Whether it's simply because women tend to be more social creatures or what, I don't know, but while I've seen plenty of GUYS playing by themselves, I don't think I've ever seen an older woman who isn't a competitive amateur (in scratch type events, I mean) playing by herself.

There's no judgment here of any kind - I was happy for her, truly, because I do think some women miss out on some of the good things that come with playing golf by yourself.

I just found it odd, and even now, days later, cannot shake that feeling. Good for her, though.

Maybe her husband, is a truck driver or something? Or she's widowed or divorced? New to the area? If I saw a woman my age that was a bogey golfer golfing alone...I think maybe she was trying to meet men or it was really a hobby, Middle-aged women tend to have different sort of hobbies, my mom for instance is about that age, and one of her hobbies is, fishing, alone. My wife who is basically the same age as Erik, likes to walk/hike whatever you want to call it, 20 something women like to Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter whatever.

Women who are post baby-boomers almost always have some sort of hobbies, fishing, doing puzzles, calligraphy, and some play golf.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

23 hours ago, Jeanne said:

And I will add that yes not all golf courses are best for a female to golf alone. 

So what? Am I’m not suppose to golf alone as a female? I love to golf..good or bad...but shouldn’t I be able to go out there?

No one is saying that. It's just that we, as men, have not observed it very often, if at all. My buddy and I did join up with a female twosome a few years ago because things were slow and it just made sense to play as a foursome rather than two twosomes. I was actually able to help one of the ladies with a swing issue, and at the end of the round they thanked us for inviting them to make a foursome. No "pick up" attempts were made on our part. We just had a good time playing golf.

Exactly. My ex thinks I’ll be trampled on by men if I golf alone. I disagree. Sure I might meet someone but I’m sure most men are trying to escape from their wives or women while they golf! He he 

I forgot about this post, glad it got bumped.

The title of the thread would make a great poem.

I saw a Woman Playing Alone....

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

How’s this?

i saw a woman playing alone

how can that be

we left our wives at home

damn she can play

her short game is like a pro

her drive is down the middle 

i hit left right and moan

why is she here

its out of the norm

who really cares

but it’s been a man’s zone

who am I to judge

she could have sat at home

?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

No one is saying that. It's just that we, as men, have not observed it very often, if at all. My buddy and I did join up with a female twosome a few years ago because things were slow and it just made sense to play as a foursome rather than two twosomes. I was actually able to help one of the ladies with a swing issue, and at the end of the round they thanked us for inviting them to make a foursome. No "pick up" attempts were made on our part. We just had a good time playing golf.

I was playing with a pal  last summer and  we caught up with a gorgeous young lady who was playing on her own so we invited her to join us  . She was a really friendly lass and tee to green not a  bad golfer either . She did have a problem with putting though and couldn't  read the line or sink anything that wasn't a tap in , she was in fact three or even four  putting every hole 

As we chatted she told us she was single and was looking for a golfing  partner , preferably the same age as herself  which sort of ruled me and my pal out . But the door had been opened and we began to flirt .

On the last this beautiful young lady left herself a 30 ft putt and turned to us and said she needed it to break 90 for the first  time in her life and if either of us could help her she would marry them . My pal pushed in straight away lining the putt up ,''That's a four foot break left to right '' he told her  . She looked at me to see if I could do any better  , I gave her a smile and said '' That's good , pick it up ''

• Like 1

I walk as a single for about 85% of my rounds. I only play as a group with friends on weekends really. I have no problem joining other groups/singles if they will have me.

In 3 years of golfing, Ive never seen a single female walker. I too would notice it as standing out if I saw it. I applaud anyone for it, single rounds are enjoyable.

10 hours ago, dogburger said:

On the last this beautiful young lady left herself a 30 ft putt and turned to us and said she needed it to break 90 for the first  time in her life and if either of us could help her she would marry them . My pal pushed in straight away lining the putt up ,''That's a four foot break left to right '' he told her  . She looked at me to see if I could do any better  , I gave her a smile and said '' That's good , pick it up ''

Awesome story!  How was the wedding? :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

She wasn't walking, but there was a lady riding 9 that joined my buddy and I a while back.  I think the course was a bit busy so we played together, but she was very nice.  We always walk so she drove next to us chatting and once we reached our tees, she's drive off ahead and tee off before we'd hit our balls.  I guess I'd never thought about the fact that she's the only woman I've seen out alone since I've seen tons of groups of ladies playing together or in mixed groups.  Regardless, it was a pleasant round.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I played through a woman playing alone last year...first time I had seen that since, well, I can remember.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 9 months later...
On 9/7/2015 at 12:07 PM, legitimatebeef said:

I've seen it a few times in my decade of playing. It is too bad there aren't more females in recreational golf. It is a game for everyone. Too bad it's dominated by males.

I was so surprised by this thread since I occasionally play by myself and enjoy it; helps my game, too, since I’m concentrating instead of socializing.  I told my husband that the men on this forum found it VERY unusual for a woman to be playing alone.  I said, "But I play alone!"  And he said, "Yes, and you’re very unusual!"  Not that that’s a bad thing...😉

Being that there are a lot of Korean golfers in the middle east I see this a lot especially in the early morning.  I also see quite a bit of walking 4 balls of just women in the morning which I think is also very rare to see.  Koreans love golf and they dominate the memberships in the middle east because the prices are much cheaper than they pay in Korea and it is often part of their work contract.  In the U.S. seeing a woman playing alone, or a 4 ball of just women would be really rare for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Being that there are a lot of Korean golfers in the middle east I see this a lot especially in the early morning.  I also see quite a bit of walking 4 balls of just women in the morning which I think is also very rare to see.  Koreans love golf and they dominate the memberships in the middle east because the prices are much cheaper than they pay in Korea and it is often part of their work contract.  In the U.S. seeing a woman playing alone, or a 4 ball of just women would be really rare for sure. 

Quite true around here too, but I think it’s just because there are many women playing around here in general?

There are quite a few non-Korean women getting out there alone or otherwise as well.

There’s a big mix of races, ethnicity, gender and orientation in our area playing in groups or alone around my area.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

13 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

There are a lot of golf crazed Koreans here in Vancouver. There are at least 6 courses here where the tee sheet is 60-70% Koreans.

The Korean women are also addicted to golf...they have no issue playing in the winter muck here....some will also play in the rain.

You'll see about a 40% vs 60% mix of Korean female golfers vs, Korean male golfers.

Yes. somewhat rare...but I have seen my fair share of middle aged Korean women playing alone.....extremely rare to see a Caucasian woman playing alone here.

Edited by Mr22putt

At Torrey Pines north, I played with a woman who played as a single. I was put in her group (we were 4 singles). She's is married and her husband plays golf as well. From conversation, it seemed as though they were both retired or near retirement. She walked with a push cart. She was very nice and friendly. She hit from the forward tees while the rest of us hit from the back tees. She was proficient with hitting from a different tee from the rest of the group and was a very solid golfer too. I suspect she broke 90. When I played there again about a week later, I bumped into her again at the clubhouse and she was there as a single. I briefly spoke to her to see if we were going to be paired up, but this time she was playing the south course and I was playing the north. Very nice lady.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

21 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

I was so surprised by this thread since I occasionally play by myself and enjoy it; helps my game, too, since I’m concentrating instead of socializing.  I told my husband that the men on this forum found it VERY unusual for a woman to be playing alone.  I said, "But I play alone!"  And he said, "Yes, and you’re very unusual!"  Not that that’s a bad thing...😉

Golf is for unusual people. We’re all in the same boat... 😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I do not recall ever seeing this either. On a public course or private course. They seem to always have their groups that they play in.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!