IGNORED

Whats the strangest thing you have ever seen on a golf course?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Deer (Buck?) fight!

That appears to have done a number on the green!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That appears to have done a number on the green!

Now only if their antlers were conveniently shaped like a divot tool.....

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Strange but definitely not funny...

A cart approaching the 1st tee box and running right into and on top of a women teeing off, the women had her back to the cart and never saw it coming.  She didn't tee off, instead she went to the emergency room.  It looked like she had a broken leg.

The cart was being driven by a little girl, maybe 10 years old.   My guess is the girl tried to slam on the breaks but had found the accelerator pedal instead and went into a panic.

Later I found out the girl needed to go to the bathroom and her parents who were somewhere on the back nine told her to take the cart and head to the bathroom. 

I've played my local course for over 30 years, but the last couple of years we've had herds of rattlesnakes roaming the course. Big ones. We had to chase one off the tee on the 9th hole last week. Where did they come from? Did the environmentalists start stocking them?

I remember a situation maybe a couple decades ago where a family abandoned their home after rattlesnakes used underneath their home as their den.  Each year there would be more and more snakes.

I wonder if you'll continue to get more and more snakes on your course.

An excerpt from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake

In the colder winter months, some rattlesnake species enter a period of brumation, which is dormancy similar to hibernation. They often gather together for brumation in large numbers (sometimes over 1,000 snakes), huddling together inside underground "rattlesnake dens" or hibernacula.[57][58] Rattlesnakes regularly share their winter burrows with a wide variety of other species (such as turtles, small mammals, invertebrates, and other types of snakes).[57]

Rattlesnakes often return to the same den, year after year, sometimes traveling several miles to get there. It is not known exactly how the rattlesnakes find their way back to the dens each year, but may use a combination of pheromone trails and visual cues (e.g. topographycelestial navigation, and solar orientation).[59]

8btlL8J.jpg

Makes me think of:

GK1r.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Those are some pretty scary legs on him.

I remember a situation maybe a couple decades ago where a family abandoned their home after rattlesnakes used underneath their home as their den.  Each year there would be more and more snakes.

I wonder if you'll continue to get more and more snakes on your course.

An excerpt from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake

I guy I was golfing with yesterday saw an 8 footer a few weeks ago.  That's a serious snake!

A friend of mine in Arizona had snakes under his house.  I'll have to ask him how he got rid of them.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

What is this guy attempting?

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have a lot funny-strange occurrences.  Here are two.   The golf course I grew up on was next door to a small airport and sky diving center.  When I was about 15 years old, my friend and I were playing the fourth hole.  As we walked up to our drives a parachutist landed right in front of us.  Low and behold the sky diver pulled off the crash helmet and it was a really beautiful young lady.  My friend looks up to the ski and says "Thank you God".    

The end of the runway was near the third hole green.  The pilots had to clear a small hill that was just to the right of the green.  I had a 3 foot birdie putt.  Just as I was mid-stroke, their was a horrible sound of metal on asphalt and then a crash.  My ball dropped in, and I looked over to a cloud of dust.  An airplane failed to take off, went through a barbed wire fence, across a road, through another fence, and into the hill.   We ran over to crash and the pilot was a math teacher from my high school.  He was a little banged up, but otherwise fine.  The paper said it was engine failure.    

What is this guy attempting?

image.jpeg

Not sure what's on the ground behind him, but I think he's pinching a loaf. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

6S0Ez6C.jpg

Steve

I went on a golfing trip for a week with 2 guys who I knew well to one guys house (let's call him the host) who I know but not as well as the 2 other guys. Before we golfed, we all agreed on a competition and all kicked in our money, it was a full week competition with a winner take all ending. On golf day one, the "host" (who never did this before as far as I know) suddenly declared he was playing from the tees in front of the rest of us, we all laughed thinking he was kidding us, but he did it and so we applied handicap manual section 3-5 and reduced his handicap accordingly. He lost badly that day and dug himself a deep hole for the rest of the week. The next day he decided he was going to play preferred lies anywhere on the course, and even though the rest of us did not agree, he did it anyway. So we gave him his 2 penalty every time he did it, but he argued his score was much lower and wanted his score entered instead of the one he earned. He would say things like "you play by your rules and I'll play by mine" and "golf is suppose to be fun and you guys are taking all the fun out of it", and other things like that and each day we all just avoided the argument and he took that as we agreed when none of us did.

At the end of the "competition" I said "well he's obviously disqualified" but the other 2 guys didn't want to disqualify him because they said "well may be we might want to come down here again someday" and so the other guys let him use his scores and needless to say with all his strokes and advantages, he won by a hair when he should have lost miserably.

That's the strangest thing I've ever seen on a golf course!

Saw this not on the course, but from the course: playing Craignure Golf Course on the Isle of Mull in Scotland with my two sons and we looked up and saw a pod of 18 whales passing between the island and the mainland, breaching, spraying, etc.. We learned later from the local wildlife watch centre that they were pilot whales. That course has sea eagles nesting above the second green, too.

• Upvote 1

I went on a golfing trip for a week with 2 guys who I knew well to one guys house (let's call him the host) who I know but not as well as the 2 other guys. Before we golfed, we all agreed on a competition and all kicked in our money, it was a full week competition with a winner take all ending. On golf day one, the "host" (who never did this before as far as I know) suddenly declared he was playing from the tees in front of the rest of us, we all laughed thinking he was kidding us, but he did it and so we applied handicap manual section 3-5 and reduced his handicap accordingly. He lost badly that day and dug himself a deep hole for the rest of the week. The next day he decided he was going to play preferred lies anywhere on the course, and even though the rest of us did not agree, he did it anyway. So we gave him his 2 penalty every time he did it, but he argued his score was much lower and wanted his score entered instead of the one he earned. He would say things like "you play by your rules and I'll play by mine" and "golf is suppose to be fun and you guys are taking all the fun out of it", and other things like that and each day we all just avoided the argument and he took that as we agreed when none of us did.

At the end of the "competition" I said "well he's obviously disqualified" but the other 2 guys didn't want to disqualify him because they said "well may be we might want to come down here again someday" and so the other guys let him use his scores and needless to say with all his strokes and advantages, he won by a hair when he should have lost miserably.

That sucks. But did you guys reimburse or pay anything to the host for the use of the house? If not, I would consider it as payment for using his house and forget about it. If you did pay, I would never go back to that house. In fact I would never see him again. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

That sucks. But did you guys reimburse or pay anything to the host for the use of the house? If not, I would consider it as payment for using his house and forget about it. If you did pay, I would never go back to that house. In fact I would never see him again. 

No we didn't pay him to stay there, we were invited by him to be his guests, but we did pay for his dinner out twice that week and breakfast twice as well. Not only that, but he's very well off so it's not the money, it's so he can say he won.

I've resolved myself to the fact that he will cheat to win, that's what he does now, because he has to win or he's unhappy. Of course he never plays in anything serious because he knows if he has to follow the rules then he can't win. So I may run into him socially here and there from time to time which will be fine, but I won't be playing any type of competition golf (even friendly competition which that week was suppose to be) with him anymore. 

HonestyPolicy, your post could use it's own thread.

I would never have agreed to that at all.  Were you allowed to play the tees that he played?  Because if so I would have played from them as well if money was on the line.  So much wrong with this, there is no "you play by your rules and I will play by mine" when there is money or competition involved.  I always make sure all rules are clearly agreed upon before agreeing to any type of a wager to avoid issues like this.  There  is no way I would have let him win the money like that, I would have taken my money back at the beginning of the competition when he tried to tee off on tees in front of everyone else.  That is like playing pool on my pool table we agree, you give me your money and then I hand you a broom stick and pull out my Balabushka pool cue, and take ball in hand for every shot I want.  No thanks, and I wouldn't want to go back and stay at that guys place again just because there was some good golf around.

Saw this not on the course, but from the course: playing Craignure Golf Course on the Isle of Mull in Scotland with my two sons and we looked up and saw a pod of 18 whales passing between the island and the mainland, breaching, spraying, etc.. We learned later from the local wildlife watch centre that they were pilot whales. That course has sea eagles nesting above the second green, too.

My course has owls and hawks on it.  One time at dusk we were out walking, just taking a leisurely stroll and I walked right by a big ol owl on a post, didn't notie he was there until he took off.  I saw a bald eagle on our course one time as well, flew right over head and perched in a tree, that was pretty awesome.

Yeah, we've seen lizards before. Just thought I'd put this here anyway.

https://instagram.com/p/9YEVBeGj06/

Steve

Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!