IGNORED

30-50 yards?

zero
Note: This thread is 3133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This has been frustrating me. What to do with a normal, average 30-50 yard shot with a good lie? 56 degree wedge, 3/4 swing? 50 degree 1/2 swing? PW 1/2 swing? Rigid wrist pitch? Regular swing? I got this dang TM ATV 56 degree wedge for this purpose and I'm not having much success. Can't get the lag, divot in front, etc etc. If I go back to my gap wedge 50 degree I'm ok but I'm trying to progress here, not go back. From 100+ yards I'm golden but these shorter shots are killing me. Thanks.

I try to stay away from the lob wedge for those shots ... use a gap or sand wedge - it's all about feel.    Biggest thing is take an abbreviated backswing & DO NOT decelerate - come through it pretty hard

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What shots around the green should you not use the bounce for?  Chipping, bad lies in rough where you have to come in steep. What else?

The better I get, the more I try and use the bounce, so the only time I can think of when not to use bounce & introduce the leading edge is if you want to deloft the shot, keep it low and get a lot of spin on the ball.   Using the bounce whenever possible is a much higher percentage shot for me ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I appreciate this thread. I got a chance to use some of these new (to me) techniques on 18 holes yesterday and it was working pretty great. I only had one chunk and one blade. Those still bug the crap out of me, but at least now I have a routine that can be me there.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

This has been frustrating me. What to do with a normal, average 30-50 yard shot with a good lie? 56 degree wedge, 3/4 swing? 50 degree 1/2 swing? PW 1/2 swing? Rigid wrist pitch? Regular swing? I got this dang TM ATV 56 degree wedge for this purpose and I'm not having much success. Can't get the lag, divot in front, etc etc. If I go back to my gap wedge 50 degree I'm ok but I'm trying to progress here, not go back. From 100+ yards I'm golden but these shorter shots are killing me. Thanks.

It very depends on the lie. Nothing in my way: a chip/pitch & roll with 9-8 iron, a bunker or water in front of the ball: sand wedge short grip and calm swing.

It very depends on the lie. Nothing in my way: a chip/pitch & roll with 9-8 iron, a bunker or water in front of the ball: sand wedge short grip and calm swing.

9-8 iron bump&run...; from 50 yards??

- adam -

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Yes, why not? :)

I don't know! I just assumed I had to use a wedge, but I'm gonna try this. I holed one yesterday with an 8i but only do that shot from very close so that it has no more than one or two bounces in the thick stuff before rolling out. Maybe a max of 20 ft from the green's edge.

- adam -

I don't know! I just assumed I had to use a wedge, but I'm gonna try this. I holed one yesterday with an 8i but only do that shot from very close so that it has no more than one or two bounces in the thick stuff before rolling out. Maybe a max of 20 ft from the green's edge.

You're not the first person to think that's a weird way to play 30-50 yards, but for me it's a smart choice. My chips are pretty good and I go as low as a 7-iron if I want a huge roll. I prefer bump&run; to lob shots but that's just my feeling.

I find that when I take too long in between rounds that this situation (and the short game in general) is the first piece of my game to slip.

It pays to have a few alternative approaches. In this 30-50 yd scenario, I'll hit a half or less 50* - fly it half way, let it roll the rest. If I can't get this going, I'll start looking at short irons with shorter swings to get the same effect.

IMHO, it helps to get the swing as small and simple as possible when things "feel" lousy. Success breeds confidence and then your game improves, perhaps even in the course of a round.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Here's what I got today in the park behind my house (very convenient) for my wedge distances. Still need to do PW 46* and also try other short irons, but wow, what great information to have! Thanks so much. 56* - 25, 40, 55 50* - 30, 45, 60 #1: 1/4 #2: 1/2 #3: 3/4 or L to L

- adam -

You're not the first person to think that's a weird way to play 30-50 yards, but for me it's a smart choice. My chips are pretty good and I go as low as a 7-iron if I want a huge roll. I prefer bump&run; to lob shots but that's just my feeling.

I have never practiced Bump & Runs.

I probably should!
I usually lob shot but if I need run use my lowest lofted club, usually a 50 degree gap for some run. I realize this is not really considered a lob, but call it what you will.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I never play a bump and run from more than 5 yards to the green. In fact I don't think I ever play a shot that allows the variable of the fairway/ fringe to take effect unless there's no green to work with.

The way I see it is although every bump and run would be practically a certainty to hit the green, the chances of a two put or worse are equally as likely. For me doing that would never get me below 15 handicap.

From 10 bump and runs from 20 yards to green and with another 10 yards on green I imagine I would end up with stats like this (with no stats to back this up whatsoever):

1 wouldn't make the green or fly straight past it, so then possibly 3 shots from there (4 shot total)

8 would be two putts form where it lands (3 shot total)

1 would be 1 putt (2 shot total)

30 total shots, so 3 shots average (or bogey golf or worse, assuming the green has been missed/ short)

Same scenario with 10 pitches/ chips/ putt chips

1 wouldn't make the green or fly straight past it, so then possibly 3 shots from there (4 shot total)

5 would be two putts (3 shot total)

4 would be one putt (2 shot total)

27 total shots, so 2.7 average (5.4 shots per round, assuming the green has been missed/ short over 18 holes)

It's unlikely I would miss 18 greens so that 5.4 isn't really a true reflection, but you could also say that if you've got a bunker in front of you that you can't use the bump and run. Seeing as a pitcher/ chipper would be more practiced in this scenario they would undoubtedly end up closer on average.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

30-50 yds is my normal chunked-gap-wedge distance.

But seriously, 50 yds is a comfortable distance for me with a 58 degree and 3/4 swing.  30 yds requires gripping down on it and a little shorter swing.  Practice hitting your highest lofted wedge while gripping it most of the way down the grip.  It will keep you in a nice window of distances between 30 and 50 yds regardless of how hard you swing at it.

Having these distances known was gold today since I couldn't hit a green to save my life for some reason. Ok I hit one, but the rest were these little wedge shots that I was finally able to get close to the pin. Hope I don't need to use them as much next time, but still, saved my sanity today.

- adam -

• 2 weeks later...

There is a variety of ways to play these shots it's plus or minus proposition. For 30-50 yards a 56 will need to be opened up with x amount of speed. First get square hit hit 60% and watch it sail over your target then aim left open the face with the same swing and watch it get nearer until you find the combo. With a 60 deg it's less of an issue because you can add more speed and wont have to add as much loft. more loft needs more speed less loft less speed. If you can chip you can hit these shots it's really just a hinge and hold mega chip try it with an 8 iron open the face and gauge it after that 56 deg will be a breeze.

I am a brand new golfer.  I have been experimenting with different clubs depending on slope of the green and pin position.  My 60 degree LW and I have a love hate relationship, its not so easy for me to hit consistently.  I tend to try and hit depending on where the pin is on the green and if the green has any slope.  If I am 40-50 out I am taking a full swing with the LW hoping to hit high and drop it on the green, this way I learn to swing it properly so that I can rely more on it (closer chips are where it and I don't always see eye to eye).  Closer and I may use a SW or PW with 1/2 or less swing, stacking my weight forward leg, legs close together as I am trying to hit the green and have it run up to the pin.  I have practiced a lot of chipping lately with different clubs to see how far they roll out.  SW 1:1, PW 2:1, 9i 3:1 ratio of distance carry to roll on a neutral sloped green, saw a good youtube video on it.

Note: This thread is 3133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!