IGNORED

Your 150 yd Club

Costanza1980
Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do you hit for 150 yds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you hit for 150 yds?

• 5 iron
    • 6 iron
    • 7 iron
    • 8 iron
    • 9 iron
    • PW
    • fairway wood/hybrid

I haven't I just go with that I can get cheap and what works for crappy players that have too much side spin ;) I picked up a bunch of balls and have to go through those first but I'll definitely have to check those out, the E6 adds about a club in length but stopping it can be an issue at times. Give and take I guess

I haven't I just go with that I can get cheap and what works for crappy players that have too much side spin ;) I picked up a bunch of balls and have to go through those first but I'll definitely have to check those out, the E6 adds about a club in length but stopping it can be an issue at times. Give and take I guess

Soft Feel's are cheaper than Q-Star and E6... Only $20/dozen

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try the e5, same cost, only about 10% more driver spin (which I assume is what side spin you're trying to avoid), but 50% more wedge spin.

I was using the e7's but they were just too hard and wouldn't hold the greens on the rare occasions I hit them. I switched to the Z-Star/ Project (a).

Q star isn't really an improvement on the e6 as far as wedge spin goes, more driver spin though (which most are trying to avoid).

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

So I guess when I meant spin it was off my approach irons. The q star which is my first ball I bought, always stopped whereever I hit the green and it didn't nearly go as high as my bridgestones. I'll have to definitely give a few of these a go after I run out of my stock pile. I am new and am just trying to search for a good ball, still like the qstars actually so might go back to those. Do people only worry about wedge spin on those super fast greens cause we don't have too many of those around here

Do people only worry about wedge spin on those super fast greens cause we don't have too many of those around here

Any green really, for me. Greens over here in the UK are pretty soft but the e7 ball would still fly through the back all the time for me, especially as the 7i was only spinning around 4000rpm. It's a noticeable distance on any club using a better/ softer ball on approach shots but the more spin REALLY helps with the short game shots (especially if there's not a lot of green to work with).

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

8 iron is 150/155 for me.

yup, me too...   a nice comfy one...   i can "force" a 9 iron there, but not so good things tend to happen on "forced" shots.. :whistle:

i can also easily skull a sand wedge 150...   :)

So I take it you carry 3-PW (can't see your sig on the mobile site)... Anyway after some work over the last few days, my 150 club is now a smooth 8-iron.

I've just reached the magic number of posts to create a signature, lol...but to answer your question...nope. I carry 3-AP and took out my Cleveland 52*. Being my "gap" wedge is my 125-135 club I decided to play the Tour Edge A wedge instead because of ball trajectory and consistency and still have a good amount of backspin on the green if I want it

Driver: Titleist - 910 D2; 10.5*
3-Wood: TaylorMade - Burner Superfast; 15*
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics - XGC3 3-AW
Wedges: PING -56* & 60* Pro Wedges BlkDot
Putter: PING - G2i My Day
Ball: Bridgestone TOUR B330‑RX
Bag: PING - Hoofer 2 - Red/White/Blue
Shoe: Footjoy - Classic Brown Leather

If it's a full 150 on level ground and no helping wind, I'll hit a towering 7 iron and try to stick it or suck it back a little.  This is what GI irons are meant to do.  If I wail on it it just goes higher, not further.

TEST

Driver: Titleist - 910 D2; 10.5*
3-Wood: TaylorMade - Burner Superfast; 15*
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics - XGC3 3-AW
Wedges: PING -56* & 60* Pro Wedges BlkDot
Putter: PING - G2i My Day
Ball: Bridgestone TOUR B330‑RX
Bag: PING - Hoofer 2 - Red/White/Blue
Shoe: Footjoy - Classic Brown Leather

TEST

SUCCESS!!!

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I like my CU's, but I might pick up a set of XCG3 or one of the newer models 4-AW just to mess around with, I have heard the XCG line from 1-7 are all very long and forgiving, my CU's are on direction, but too much distance loss...

I have XCG6 heads, I hated them so I pulled the KBS shafts. Huge soles and a lot of offset.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costanza1980

Here's another weird thing. I probably hit my driver on average 230 but on a 200 yard par three I will hit a three iron or a hybrid and get either on the green are close but a 230 yard par three I will still try with my hybrid because I'm worried to overshoot with my driver.

Most greens have more trouble in the front than back. Hit the driver. Or maybe a 3 wood?

Definitely not true most places I play.  In front maybe a bunker, but lots of chances to be n grass too.  Over the back is usually a down slope running into trees, bushes, weeds, etc.  Even if you have a shot, you usually have to land the ball on a green that slopes away from you, making anything but a front pin nearly impossible.

And by the way, my 150 club is 7I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooke119

Being 64 years old and having had three back surgery, I hit a 5H (25*) for a 150 yard shot. I can it my 6 or 7 150 but it has to be a pure strike off a good lie. I find the hybrid easier to hit and the ball lands softer to hold the green. BTW I only hit my driver about 220 to 230 yards. Bottom-line I don't hit my clubs that far. I make up for it with accuracy around the green (100 yards and in).

At just about the same age I can nuke a 6h or hit an easy 5h for 150 yards.  20 years ago it was a 7 iron, but I was never as accurate as I am now with the hybrids.

I'm 68, but with my new irons, my iron distances are almost the same as they were 25 years ago.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

6-hybrid? I wish. I'm 28 and you guys make me look short hitting an easy 7i... If TEE made a 6-hybrid I'd get it just to screw around with...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!