IGNORED

Bringing Drinks/Coolers on to the Course

colin007
Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 members have voted

1. 1. Bringing outside alcohol on the course -

• Sure, i have no problem bringing a few brewskies from home to the course, i dont want to pay $5 for the beer and still have to tip the girl
    • Nope, i wouldnt do it because its taking revenue from the course. dont be a cheapskate.

In general, I don't have much problem with people drinking. However, being around people who drink too much is/can be annoying depending on how they behave. That said, none of this really has much, if anything, to do with the topic of this thread which is about people bringing their own drinks/coolers onto the course.

It is related in some aspect.  The folks who bring their own drinks tend to bring a lot (I've seen a guy toting a 24 pack, a tall bottle of vodka, etc) b/c buying that much drink in a course equates to an yearly budget of a small city in Burkina Faso.   A few became annoying once they get drunk. I've seen drunk golfers hitting, literally, 10 yards per swing b/c they got too drunk to hit anything.   These are rare occasions but seem to happen with folks who drink a lot and/or  who brought their own stash of drinks.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is related in some aspect.  The folks who bring their own drinks tend to bring a lot (I've seen a guy toting a 24 pack, a tall bottle of vodka, etc) b/c buying that much drink in a course equates to an yearly budget of a small city in Burkina Faso.   A few became annoying once they get drunk. I've seen drunk golfers hitting, literally, 10 yards per swing b/c they got too drunk to hit anything.   These are rare occasions but seem to happen with folks who drink a lot and/or  who brought their own stash of drinks.

This is where people have different experiences. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone bring bottles of liquor on the course, maybe a few beers but then they'll also buy some from the clubhouse and/or beer cart. While people getting drunk could be marginally related to the topic, the discussion of weed has no relation to the topic of outside beverages or coolers on the course.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Nope, I am pretty anti-pot culture despite being a huge liberal.

I'm curious, when golf courses are privately owned, that is, not a city course, I'd assume smoking pot is legal on golf courses since it's all private property?  Police can't come onto the course unless called to do so.  Isn't the same as booze, because you can't drink in public but you can on the course.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm curious, when golf courses are privately owned, that is, not a city course, I'd assume smoking pot is legal on golf courses since it's all private property?  Police can't come onto the course unless called to do so.  Isn't the same as booze, because you can't drink in public but you can on the course.

In Colorado, you are not legally allowed to spoke in public or be high in public.

Not sure how that applies with private courses but I don't think weed is allowed there either.   The law is more set up for in home use than outside use.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

What is the reason you need to drink on the golf course?? Do you have to drink at every activity you do?  Seems odd that people have to drink during a 4 hour round of golf...

I don't need to drink on the course and it's very rare that I do. But I don't get my knickers in a knot when others do, as long as they keep a reasonable pace and don't abuse the course. And on those occasions that I do imbibe, I maintain a reasonable pace and respect* the course. So again, what's the big deal? *as mentioned previously, on those rare occasions that I drink, I have been known to bring my own, so I guess in that respect I'm not respecting the course management , but hey, I'm a badass! I do put my empties, illicit or otherwise, in the proper trash or recycling receptacle.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I drink when I play more often than I don't. It's a social event for me, I don't hit the bars much anymore so this is how I socialize. Most people I play with do likewise and I've yet to see any damage inflicted on the course, we're amongst the faster players, and we're all fairly decent players. No harm, no foul.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

A beer a round is fine, I just hate the culture of having a 6 pack while you golf.   If you need that much booze to enjoy something, why do it all?   (sorry missed the multi-quote button)

[quote name="pumaAttack" url="/t/84357/bringing-drinks-coolers-on-to-the-course/0_100#post_1199637"] Pot culture being wearing the pot leaves on clothes, wearing bob marley clothes, waking and baking, smoking everyday, etc.   This was on display more than once when I played at Park Hill Golf Club... I have no problem with the drug but the over the top culture is annoying and makes Colorado look bad.  Not to mention how high rent has become recently... [/quote] Your first posts on both those things were pretty black and white. Glad to see you've discovered grey. You should try to use grey at the outset instead of coming across as the Fun Police.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Your first posts on both those things were pretty black and white. Glad to see you've discovered grey. You should try to use grey at the outset instead of coming across as the Fun Police.

Ha, I just honestly don't see the correlation between playing a sport and drinking.  What other sports do you drink well playing?  Bowling, maybe keg softball?

I just think it cheapens the sport and causes people to view it as a game/hobby rather than a sport.

Tony  

Ha, I just honestly don't see the correlation between playing a sport and drinking.  What other sports do you drink well playing?  Bowling, maybe keg softball?

I just think it cheapens the sport and causes people to view it as a game/hobby rather than a sport.

It depends on the person. I am sure that many people who just want to go out on the course to drink and enjoy some company while playing golf are not seriously thinking they are playing a sport for competition sake.

While, there are a lot of golfers who will play the sport for competition sake and still drink. While others do the same and not drink.

I don't think drinking beer makes it less of a sport and more of a hobby. That is pretty much just your opinion on it rather than it being true or not.

I voted no because I do think it takes profits away from the course. Also in Ohio it's illegal to bring your own a alcoholic beverages on the golf course, circa 2003. I rather not get kicked off a golf course for doing it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It never entered my mind to bring my own alcohol to a golf course, particularly one that has a license to sell. Plus, there is liability that the course takes on in that regard. Besides the fact that I don't drink alcohol anyway and didn't drink when I played golf back in the day when I did drink.

Would anybody consider bringing in a case of beer to a bowling alley that has a bar? I would think not, besides the fact that they would be stopped from doing so, so what is the difference with golf?

Bill M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Your first posts on both those things were pretty black and white. Glad to see you've discovered grey. You should try to use grey at the outset instead of coming across as the Fun Police.

People drink before and after (and sometimes during) league softball games, and that seems to me that it would be stranger than drinking at the golf course.  A great many early courses were associated with clubs of some sort where alcohol was available.   I see what exists today as a natural progression.  Golf and conservative social drinking seem to be traditional.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It never entered my mind to bring my own alcohol to a golf course, particularly one that has a license to sell. Plus, there is liability that the course takes on in that regard. Besides the fact that I don't drink alcohol anyway and didn't drink when I played golf back in the day when I did drink.

Would anybody consider bringing in a case of beer to a bowling alley that has a bar? I would think not, besides the fact that they would be stopped from doing so, so what is the difference with golf?

People bring flasks to a lot of places that sell booze.

Tony  

If you bring your own booze into the golf course, do you also bring in outside food/drinks to the movies?  Would you bring beer into a movie theatre?

Absolutely.

Colin P.

I carry a fifth in my bag, but I only go to that when there's no cart girl or it just takes too long for her to come back. I never buy water or juice though. I'm usually drinking one when I get there and no one has ever told me I can't bring it with me. After that I fill up from the water on the course that they offer.

I would agree with this somewhat. It certainly isn't for me. There are a lot of people who can drink in moderation and not turn into a-holes - I've played alongside those and you'd never know they were drinking. But there's nothing like a sloppy drunk to ruin an otherwise good day on the golf course, ball field, bowling alley...

When it comes down to it, as long as no one screws with me, I don't really care that much. I can tune out the obnoxious yelling when I hear it from the adjacent fairway and holes. Of course for some, that kind of behavior doesn't necessarily have to involve alcohol.

Jon

I take a flask with me onto the course. I seldom, if ever, drink more than a swig or two in comradery with my playing partners. For one thing, I like the good stuff and you have to buy that yourself at certain liquor stores. They can't make the kinds of margins they expect by selling you actual good whisky at a club or a pub. I always buy my beer from the clubhouse though. But I don't have to worry about beer money, and I have friends who do worry about beer money that sneak beer on the course. I drink it when they do and they offer me one. I guess I would draw the line at a cooler though. I think that's wrong, and have no interest in playing golf drunk or with drunks. But some people like to do everything drunk. Whatever.

A beer a round is fine, I just hate the culture of having a 6 pack while you golf.

If you need that much booze to enjoy something, why do it all?

I finish off a six-pack before I make the turn.

I can't imagine playing golf without drinking. What the hell am I supposed to do in between swings?

Golf is basically 90% drinking.

I finish off a six-pack before I make the turn.

I can't imagine playing golf without drinking. What the hell am I supposed to do in between swings?

Golf is basically 90% drinking.

I wondered what the secret was to a single digit handicap!

Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!