IGNORED

My Swing (zero)

zero
Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years seriously & childhood

My current handicap index or average score is: +1-2 to par with occasional par or birdie

My typical ball flight is: Driver: straight or slice, Irons: straight or hit fat

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice (over-the-top problem)

Videos:

Obviously I have an over-the-top, outside-in issue I've been working on hard this season. 2 times at the range and 2 rounds per week is my norm. Had lessons a few months ago which helped tremendously. If you can give me ONE thing to work on, I'd be forever in your service!
p.s. I left the first 5 seconds in so you can see my setup

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

I was a big slicer.....my driver was 46" long.....I bought a 14* driver....44" long driver.....no more sliceing...and my club face is 1* closed....I am no expert ....with my irons....I leave my arms and grip loose.....swing 9 to 3....my irons go straight....

Hey @zero , you seem to have some good athletic ability and speed, which is definitely potential... The camera view is a little wonky, you want it more square to your setup. But....What happens if you try -at address- bumping your hips a little forward towards the target, and push your hands a touch forwards towards the target as well? This will promote a more in-to-out path....

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great stuff, thanks. I know my driver is too long. It's a 46" reshafted Taylormade Burner 9.5*. I'll try the swing tips and also try put some shorter drivers. I only slice with driver. Even my long 43" fairway wood is fine. Sucks.

- adam -

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

@zero

Thanks for posting. You are moving considerably back in your back swing. The screen shot below shows your set up and A4, top of backswing.

Although some pros do move back a bit, most stay centered. This helps you get you weight forward at impact and help with an in to out path.

Check out this thread.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thank you @ boogielicious, I will definitely work on that. Probably the bump up at address will help with that too.

- adam -

Sooooo.... part 2! I have shortened my driver to exactly 44" (something I've been meaning to do for a while). Took two more videos for you to parse based on the prior feedback: #1 Driver, #2 7i. Hips and hands are both bumped forward a bit. Camera should also be centered. Thanks so much, I'm getting a lot of value from this.

Driver:

7 iron

- adam -

@zero

One thing I noticed immediately is your stance is the same width for the driver and 7 iron. It should be narrower for the 7 iron.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Although some pros do move back a bit, most stay centered. This helps you get you weight forward at impact and help with an in to out path.

Check out this thread.

Almost every thread I read on this forums has the tip above, which should be the most popular.

Another one is to flare out your feet at address:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/78207/why-flaring-your-feet-at-address-makes-golf-easier

Cleveland Golf SL290 Driver 10.5* Miyazaki C Kua Stiff Flex
Cleveland Launcher FL Fairway 3 Wood
Adams Idea a7 19* 3 Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons
Wedges - Cleveland CG12 56* & 60*
Putter - Odyssey White Ice 1

@zero

One thing I noticed immediately is your stance is the same width for the driver and 7 iron. It should be narrower for the 7 iron.

Good point. Do you suggest narrowing irons stance or widening driver stance?

- adam -

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

@zero

Good point. Do you suggest narrowing irons stance or widening driver stance?

Narrow the seven iron stance. When my stance was too wide, I would hit fat shots because I wasn't able to get my weight forward enough with the wide stance.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Almost every thread I read on this forums has the tip above, which should be the most popular.

Another one is to flare out your feet at address:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/78207/why-flaring-your-feet-at-address-makes-golf-easier

I flare out my left foot only, about 2". I read that you want to keep your right foot straight to keep your "coil" between hips & shoulders. I think I read that in Hogan's 5 Lessons.

- adam -

I agree with the advice about flaring out your feet. The biggest thing that jumps out at me is the lack of lower body rotation in your swing. Specifically, your hips are not turning. Flaring out your feet, as explained in that thread, will help a lot with that. I would start by flaring out your feet at address, and then working on rotating your hips more in the backswing.

Your swing looks to have a lot of good pieces in it, honestly. If you are able to tweak a couple of things, I think you could improve quickly.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Great stuff guys. I'm going to experiment with these at the range tomorrow. Thanks.

- adam -

• 1 month later...

A recent down the line video shows that although I've improved a lot this season, I still tend to come over the top, or "get steep", or break the swing plane, especially with longer clubs. I can see the problem clearly and have read and watched everything explaining the problem, however, don't have any good drills to break this nasty habit. Many thanks.

- adam -

50 minutes ago, zero said:

I still tend to come over the top, or "get steep", or break the swing plane, especially with longer clubs.

Generally the OTT move is a result of something else. Could be the pivot on the backswing, not getting the weight forward enough on the downswing, etc. 

Looking at some of your previous swings I'd make sure your hip turn is centered, you have a tendency to sway them a little. This set-up adjustment will help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 4 weeks later...

I must say, while I continue to work on my OTT problem, I have removed the driver from the bag and don't miss it at all. I can hit my 3 wood within 10 yards of my driving distance but more importantly hit the fairway much much more consistently. With driver I would hit maybe 50% if that and the 3 wood is more like 75%. And so I just don't see why I should worry about it until I've ironed out the issue. And Phil makes me feel much better about it :) 

- adam -

3 hours ago, zero said:

I must say, while I continue to work on my OTT problem, I have removed the driver from the bag and don't miss it at all. I can hit my 3 wood within 10 yards of my driving distance but more importantly hit the fairway much much more consistently. With driver I would hit maybe 50% if that and the 3 wood is more like 75%. And so I just don't see why I should worry about it until I've ironed out the issue. And Phil makes me feel much better about it :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3xmxOtRPo

Keep practicing with the driver even though you're not playing it. As you improve, you will probably get more than 10 yards extra and you will want that.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!