Sign in to follow this  
westerndevon

5 Wood & 3 Iron

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 1556 viewsLast Reply

I'm currently gaming a 5 wood that is  21° and can hit this consistently 240 yards from the tee so happy with that. Now my current 3 iron is also 21° so is there any point carrying two clubs of the same loft?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Do you hit them the same distance and trajectory?  If they do different jobs then no reason to drop one of them just because of a number.

I'm currently gaming a 5 wood that is  21° and can hit this consistently 240 yards from the tee so happy with that. Now my current 3 iron is also 21° so is there any point carrying two clubs of the same loft?

It's not as simple as comparing lofts to determine whether one clubs is a substitute for another, especially iron vs. wood. But you'd know better than anyone whether you have an important enough reason to carry both. I'm hesitating buying a 3H to replace my 5W because I love my 5W off the tee on some holes. But I can't hit it off the ground and I'm trying for enough par 5s in two that it's a trade off that makes sense. Then again, if I played courses where it made sense, I would game both if they were really unitaskers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I struggle somedays with both the 5w and 3i off the fairway so thinking of taking out the 3i and switching it for perhaps a 7w or similar lofted hybrid/rescue club

Rule of thumb is anyone above a single digit handicap would probably benefit from replacing their irons longer than a 5i with a corresponding hybrid club. It's hard to get contact consistent enough to achieve the launch necessary to hit those clubs well. I hit my driver over 250 on average and game a 4H. Hybrids are the best. (I should add that something like a 7w is a great choice too. I just meant hybrids are terrific as compared to a difficult-to-hit-long-iron)

Looks like I'll be heading to the shop and testing a few hybrids on GC2 see what works best I'm even toying with forgoing the 4i and popping in an extra wedge

Consider a hybrid with adjustable lofts like the Nike ones. The adjustability can be helpful fitting it into your set as your set evolves.

@westerndevon,

Greetings! You didn't mention what models of 5W and 3i you have, so I couldn't look up exact specs for your clubs. One distance differentiator would be the greater shaft length of a 5W. Also, due to its head design, a higher lofted FW will launch the ball higher than a comparable long iron.

Here are comparisons of a couple of wood/iron sets on lofts and shaft lengths. (You may have irons from circa 2008, as most 21º irons these days are 4i.)

OEM

Model

Club

Loft

Shaft

TaylorMade

AeroBurner

5W-HL

21⁰

42.25”

RSi2

4i

21⁰

38.25”

RSi.TP

3i

20⁰

38.75”

In this case here, the 5W-HL shaft is 4 inches longer than the 4i, and 3.5 inches longer than the 3i.

I believe you will find similar shaft length differences with other manufacturers, although probably not as much as with TM.

Looks like I'll be heading to the shop and testing a few hybrids on GC2 see what works best I'm even toying with forgoing the 4i and popping in an extra wedge

I've recently been bouncing between the 4i and a gap wedge depending how I feel that day but I said goodbye to my 3i long ago in favor of hybrids.

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!