IGNORED

Taylormade M1 Driver

Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hope the suckers are ready!

post-2-0-77099800-1415891923.jpgKYtfEss.png

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

24 minutes ago, LBlack14 said:

Hope the suckers are ready!

post-2-0-77099800-1415891923.jpgKYtfEss.png

TaylorMade may come out with a lot of drivers, but they aren't cheating anyone out of quality. The M1 is not a club that I like, personally, but it performs very, very well. I use the Aeroburner currently and I like it more than any other driver i've ever hit. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/29/2015 at 10:15 AM, dkolo said:

Hit the M1 today at Golfsmith. They didnt have any S flex ones at 10.5 loft (they did have 9.5 and 8.5 lofted drivers, though, so... loft down is the name of the game now apparently). The thing does look spectacular. The white isn't as prominent in person as it looks in pictures and, more importantly, they went with a very high gloss finish, which is very welcome change from the mattes Taylormade loves. The M1 would pair very well with my Callaway Versa Jailbird putter, haha. The numbers were unremarkable, but it was the first thing I hit and I was swinging cold, so largely user error I imagine. The numbers were a bit better at the lower lofts and stiff flex when I tried those. The stock Taylormade grip is still an absolute joke, though. I don't know how they can sell $500 drivers with that kind of cheap, thin option. The Callaway GBB and GBB 816 DBD I tried afterwards both rock the Golf Pride New Decade multicompound grips to great success for the third year in a row.

Unrelated, the launch monitor at Golfsmith had my swing speed clocking at 117-120 mph, which, um, yeah, let's just say that's very kind of them.

Also tested out the M1 at Golfsmith in an 9.5 with the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage silver shaft. Sounds like Kara Age (Japanese fried chicken). In fact, after testing it, I went next door to get some of the Japanese fried chicken for lunch. :-D  It feels really really solid compared to my i25. The flight on the monitor was higher than I would expect with my i25 on the course. It feels a lot "heavier" than the i25 as well. I also doubted the swing speed and carries on the launch monitor, but the shots did feel pretty solid. $499.99 was just not worth the simulated distance gain over my i25 actual distances. Once the price drops to $250 or less, I think I'll get one. . .probably need to wait for this club to come out before the price of the M1 drops. . .

46 minutes ago, LBlack14 said:

KYtfEss.png

In the meantime, this is what I can afford:

enhanced-21760-1423057050-24.jpg

Kara Age. . .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

TaylorMade may come out with a lot of drivers, but they aren't cheating anyone out of quality. The M1 is not a club that I like, personally, but it performs very, very well. I use the Aeroburner currently and I like it more than any other driver i've ever hit. 

You may want to do a search about the issues that have been had with the M1 and Taylormade not wanting to honor warranties.

-Landon

2 minutes ago, LBlack14 said:

You may want to do a search about the issues that have been had with the M1 and Taylormade not wanting to honor warranties.

That has nothing to do with quality, though. The clubs are good.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Just now, jbishop15 said:

That has nothing to do with quality, though. The clubs are good.

It has everything to do with "quality", LOL!!

-Landon

5 minutes ago, LBlack14 said:

It has everything to do with "quality", LOL!!

I Googled, and couldn't find anything related to them not honoring warranties, but regardless: that's a customer service issue. If there was an issue with the club that caused it to break more often than most, then that would be a quality issue. But from my search, all I see are positives. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-taylormade-m1-driver-is-proving-dollar500-drivers-can-be-a-success?mbid=social_twitter

The M1 driver, fairway wood and hybrid accounted for one of every eight metalwoods sold in October, says golf-research firm Golf Datatech. You probably have to go back to 1995 and Callaway’s original Great Big Bertha to find the last time a driver that expensive has been the top seller.

M1’s success raised the average selling price for drivers to nearly $300, about $30 higher than it has been any month this year and $40 higher than any month since 2006, according to Golf Datatech.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since M1 came out. Has anyone used it on the course and any experiences with it? 

I just won this in a tournament :). I wouldn't be spending the 500$ on my own for this and have never used the weights in any of the drivers. 

My biggest weakness is inconsistencies with the driver. Is this forgiving in that regard?

1 minute ago, longdrive23 said:

It's been a while since M1 came out. Has anyone used it on the course and any experiences with it? 

I just won this in a tournament :). I wouldn't be spending the 500$ on my own for this and have never used the weights in any of the drivers. 

My biggest weakness is inconsistencies with the driver. Is this forgiving in that regard?

It's a great driver, I would take it to somewhere to work on a good fitting for the settings you need it on. Someplace with a launch monitor and a fitter that will allow you to try different adjustments until you get one that gives you the most distance and forgiveness. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Tried this out in the range today. Head is super light though the shaft (60g) is 10g heavier than my previous driver - TM RBZ stage 2 (50g).

Any recommendation on the shaft weight for Drivers? 

My swing speed is ~105 with Driver.  (My shaft weight of my steel irons are ~105g)

Edited by longdrive23
updated specs

• 2 years later...
On 9/29/2015 at 2:58 AM, benkross said:

tiny weights have a huge impact at the end of a 45 inch shaft. But like the other guy so aptly said, wait a year or 18 mos and the price will come down. I'm also hesitant to buy the first attempt at a new tech for TM. The R1 was terrible. I expect the second generation hybrid crown will be better. There will probably be some bonding issues with the carbon fiber to the titanium.

Agree and agree!

In 2013 I bought a used r11 via eBay.  I actually bought a couple: a 9° regular and a 10.5° stiff flex.  I settled on the 10.5 regular combo, and re-sold the 9° stiff.

I've made adjustments to the settings a couple times a year as my swing "adjusted."  Just recently, I experimented with weight changes and found a significant increase in swing consistency by increasing over-all swing weight. I might be swinging it more slowly, but I'm certainly hitting it with more control and swinging fastest at the bottom of my swing.

I'm hitting it longer and straighter, just by making adjustments.  It's not scientific fitting, but it's cheap and it works, even for a 16-19 handicapper. 

I might just go see if getting fitted for a shaft might help. - Still cheaper than a new driver!

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!