IGNORED

10 Captains Tips from Observing the Newport Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

None of this surprises me, well except for not watching ball, pace of play and get out of jail. The single digit guys here are the most self deprecating members. Not uncommon to see a post where they mention a lot of these issues. My guess is some of it was nerves and the rest of it that's how inconsistent single digit golfers are. Personal experience is my intent and the result rarely the same thing. Most of the time I feel like a 30 handicap golfer so I'm certain that's how it looks to those watching.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great post. I can think back to some shot I hit where it applied to almost every one of these observations. I need to re read LSW again and make sure I make it part of my game.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Others are obviously welcome to do the same or not, and everybody is welcome to critique my critiques too, but here are the grades I'd give myself for each of these categories:

1. Short Game Shot Selection - B

This is probably going to be my highest score on here because I'm well aware of, and subscribe to, that rule.  I can think of one situation where I flubbed a pitch (it was muddy) but otherwise I made it a priority to get the ball on the green first and foremost, and I executed that pretty well this week.

2. GIR is King - C-

Yeah, I don't hit nearly as many greens as I should.  Not so much from lack of strategy but rather ability.  I made a point to aim for the #deadcenter often and it paid off, but still my GIR percentage is severely lacking.

3. Shot Zone Size - C

I was sitting with @iacas and @mvmac at lunch on Saturday and Erik says "Mike and I learned a lot more about what a 6-8 handicap really is this week."  I replied "you mean how bad we suck??"  He nodded. ;)  Shot zones with the driver for many of us are just huge and we probably would be best off hitting driver very infrequently whenever there is OB in the zip code.  One problem, however, is that many of us suck with the 3 wood too. ;)

4. Not Watching Ball - A ... D

I am very good about watching my ball when it's going wayward.  What I stink at is keeping tabs on it as I'm driving to it.  I see the tree or bush to use as a landmark but then when I get up there, I forget which one, or "was it just past this tree or just short of this tree?" and nonsense like that. :doh:

5. Learn to Hit Big Curves - C-

I can do this.  I hit a really nice drive on Thursday morning on 17 and a really nice drive (3 wood this time) on Friday afternoon as well.  However, the other two rounds showed me that I am still capable of a double cross because both of those times I hit it dead straight into the water.  A big intentional slice is possible, but its still a work in progress.  A big (intentional) hook is a lot harder for me.

6. Misses and Adjustments - C

I'm just getting used to the fact that I'm turning into a player who misses one way a lot more often than the other (left) so I'm still not comfortable giving myself more room by aiming further left.  It hasn't been that long since a big push or push slice was one of my misses so aiming down the right side of the fairway or to the right edge of the green is still uncomfortable.

7. Pace of Play - A-

I think I got a pretty good handle on this one.  I probably have to be careful to avoid bothering my playing partners more than anything because I'm always trying to do something when its their turn such that when it's my turn, all that's left is to hit the ball.

8. Simple Rules - B

I never hit a wrong ball, and even though I gave myself a D above, I never actually lost a ball either.  I could stand to have a little better knowledge of some of the rest of the rules though.

9. Pattern Awareness - C-

See my answer to #6 above.  I'm getting a little better at having a pattern but it's not all there yet.  WIP. ;)

10. Get out of Jail - D

I did not put the ball far enough back in my stance nor did I swing hard enough.  I had quite a few shots like this (many which were coupled with #5) off of the hardpan and although I thought I had a handle on it, I fatted these and didn't reach the fairway more often than not.
Thanks to Erik and Mike for the notes. :beer: More to work on now!!! (once it stops raining) ;)
  • Upvote 1

1. Short Game Shot Selection - C 2. GIR is King - B, when i actually had a GIR attempt i was pretty solid. 3. Shot Zone Size - Big Time F, thw driver should not have been taken out on Saturday. 4. Not Watching Ball - B 5. Learn to Hit Big Curves - B 6. Misses and Adjustments - C, i could aim more left off the tee. My miss was way right. 7. Pace of Play - B- 8. Simple Rules - A 9. Pattern Awareness - C 10. Get out of Jail - A

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1. Short Game Shot Selection - C

2. GIR is King - F, I did not hit many greens over the tournament, but I was close.

3. Shot Zone Size -  F, I gave away a half a point to V on the 18th hitting my driver OB, as well as #12 where I hit three drives in the same guys backyard.

4. Not Watching Ball - B - I didn't lose any balls off the tee that I didn't already know were going OB.

5. Learn to Hit Big Curves - C. Not a D because I can hit the ball right to left, just not left to right.

6. Misses and Adjustments - C I know my miss, but was sometimes still dumb enough not to aim far enough right.

7. Pace of Play - A. I play very fast. So fast that @mvmac had to remind me to envision my shot and take a practice swing.

8. Simple Rules - A - I didn't hit anyone else's ball.

9. Pattern Awareness - C

10. Get out of Jail - C - I am the dummy that used a 56* to hit my punch shot into a low tree branch.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Thanks for the posts, @iacas and @mvmac . Obviously there's a lot here for all of us to learn, not just the Newport Cup participants. I'm guilty of a number of these myself, especially #4. I'm awful at #4.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is a great thread and while it applies directly to the single digit cappers it is something that I will keep in mind as I work my way down to single digits.  It's a bit refreshing and disturbing to know that even when one reaches a single digit handicap one still has issues with shot zone, misses and adjustments and get out of jail.  I know that even the pro's will sometimes screw up but I was hoping that as my handicap dropped I wouldn't have to worry about those things as much.

The tip on GIR is also very helpful.  I tend to go with the exact distance my range finder tells me, and it will sometimes result in a shot too short (flag up front) or too long (flag in the back).  I plan to try this advice out tomorrow during my round.

I appreciate you all grading yourself in the different areas though I'm sure you were tougher on yourselves than an outsider would be.

It's threads like these that differentiate the Sand Trap from any other golf website.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

This is a great thread and while it applies directly to the single digit cappers it is something that I will keep in mind as I work my way down to single digits.  It's a bit refreshing and disturbing to know that even when one reaches a single digit handicap one still has issues with shot zone, misses and adjustments and get out of jail.  I know that even the pro's will sometimes screw up but I was hoping that as my handicap dropped I wouldn't have to worry about those things as much.

The tip on GIR is also very helpful.  I tend to go with the exact distance my range finder tells me, and it will sometimes result in a shot too short (flag up front) or too long (flag in the back).  I plan to try this advice out tomorrow during my round.

I appreciate you all grading yourself in the different areas though I'm sure you were tougher on yourselves than an outsider would be.

It's threads like these that differentiate the Sand Trap from any other golf website.  Thanks.

+1. There's so much good information on this site.

Jon

• Administrator
2. GIR is King - B, when i actually had a GIR attempt i was pretty solid.

You actually score much worse here than you think. GIR is unachievable if your first drive is OB or in trouble. You don't get to say "when I had an attempt…" - you also have to give yourself a LOT of attempts. You didn't do that as well as you could. It is stated in LS W, but the entire GamePlanning section is built around getting on or near the green as quickly as possible. That starts with the tee shot.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is a great thread and while it applies directly to the single digit cappers it is something that I will keep in mind as I work my way down to single digits.  It's a bit refreshing and disturbing to know that even when one reaches a single digit handicap one still has issues with shot zone, misses and adjustments and get out of jail.  I know that even the pro's will sometimes screw up but I was hoping that as my handicap dropped I wouldn't have to worry about those things as much. The tip on GIR is also very helpful.  I tend to go with the exact distance my range finder tells me, and it will sometimes result in a shot too short (flag up front) or too long (flag in the back).  I plan to try this advice out tomorrow during my round.    I appreciate you all grading yourself in the different areas though I'm sure you were tougher on yourselves than an outsider would be. It's threads like these that differentiate the Sand Trap from any other golf website.  Thanks.

Well said!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

It is stated in LS W, but the entire GamePlanning section is built around getting on or near the green as quickly as possible. That starts with the tee shot.

Adjustment :-P

2. GIR is King - C-

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

These are great. Thank you for putting them together!

Absolutely, really helpful as a tool for self-reflection and understanding how to improve.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Good stuff. Some great tips in this thread.

I find tip six hard to do. I'm often more inclined to try to fix my swing during a round than to play a round with a shot shape I'm not happy with. Part of that is because when I'm trying to figure out what club to hit and visualizing the shot in my head I don't want to visualize myself hitting the same crappy shaped shot that I hit the last 3 holes. Sometimes it leads to me over-correcting and hitting a different kind of crappy shot.

Grading oneself seems to be a good idea. Here's mine:

1. Short Game Shot Selection: B

The selection was not bad at all. All along I just wanted to get on the green just like prescribed. Execution befitted an 18 handicapper. Not much hope when that happens.

2. GIR is King - D

I don't think I hit more than 5-6 greens on any of the rounds until the singles. I think number 3 below to blame.

3. Shot Zone Size - F

I came in with a few weeks of really decent golf. So I am feeling a bit humbled with the turds I laid last week. Never knew what I was going to get off the tee even standing over the ball. The only few positive came in the singles match. So back to work...

4. Not Watching Ball - A

I absolutely watched the ball, mine, partner's and competitors.

5. Learn to Hit Big Curves - B

So about 17... I usually hit and prefer draws. On Friday afternoon four ball I hit two cuts first we thought was in OB but apparently wasn't and my second which was clean. Was very prepared to do it on Saturday, which of course ended up being not needed. So yeah, curves? - Check. I mean, sorta...

6. Misses and Adjustments - F until Friday morning, B after till Saturday.

My whole game is based on adjustments so I usually do but the F is because I simply could not find it and kept getting more and more desperate till Friday afternoon. Finally it clicked somewhat.

7. Pace of Play - A-

Yupp, I don't really mess around or usually even take practice swings. It takes me 10 -12 seconds to find my grip and trigger my swing but not much I can do about that.

8. Simple Rules - FFFFF

Hit wrong ball once, and twice didn't look for an in play ball abandoning them as OBs, both instances proving VERY costly.

9. Pattern Awareness - ??-

What pattern? Lol.. Military golf is not exactly a pattern. WIP.

10. Get out of Jail - C

I hit few good bunker shots to give myself a chance. From behind trees I think I at least put the ball back in play.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!