IGNORED

Solheim Cup Controversy: Who is more at fault?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Solheim Cup Controversy: Who is more at fault?

• Alison Lee
    • Suzann Pettersen
    • Charley Hull
    • Carin Koch

SP makes a statement on Instagram:

OK, that's no good. Here:

Quote:
I've never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup.  I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry. To the U.S. team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I've always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things "right," I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry. I hope in time the U.S. team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life. To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me. The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can't.  This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Totally agree with that. I've only seen the video posted in the OP. That doesn't show SP walking off (she's not in the picture). Does anyone know if she started walking as well (or even better, is there video showing it)? If she's not walking off (and CH didn't concede the putt) then they've done nothing wrong in my view (in the video linked by Me22putt above CH says she wasn't walking off, she was walking over to SP). If SP did start walking off, then it's bad sportsmanship.

SP was already off the green while Lee was putting. When the camera catches her she is well away from everything. She had already walked off and was well away from the camera. At least from the various videos I saw. I'm glad she apologized in some form. Both her and Hull were basically going to the next hole once Lee's first putt came to rest. Agree that under the rules Lee has to take the punishment. But this whole thing just smacks of taking advantage. Like Davies said, why was Hull crying? Hull, my read is, thought it was a half and SP jumped on the situation.

—Adam

I may have been wrong with my interpretation of the rule here. My thinking was the Euros could have allowed Lee to put the ball back but in watching the replay it's seems like that isn't an option because Pettersen/Hull didn't say anything and the rules official confirmed that, even though Lee thought she heard something. The body language of Hull indicated the hole was done but there needs to be some verbal communication.

Doesn't change my vote or how I feel about the situation. Lee is mostly to blame but in the spirit of the game/matches Pettersen and Hull should have given her the putt (even after she picked it up) and moved on to the next hole.

Placing the ball back for the putt wasn't an option but I believe the Euro team could have conceded the putt post hole up until the cards were signed.

Joe Paradiso

Maybe golfers should consult Davis Cup team members on head games. Tennis players deal w/the emotion of head to head matches all the time during the regular season and during the DC, there doesn't seem to be any controversies of this sort, or at least that I've read about.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Head games are one thing. Gamesmanship is a part of what you have to put up with from some people. It's part of the game to learn to filter things out, if it even bothers you. To me, this was a mistake by Lee first but compounded by Hull by walking off that Petterson decided to exploit. I would never go back and say a putt wasn't conceded when I walked off like that. I might have the rules on my side but I'm going to take criticism and crap from people for pulling a stunt like that. Something like that would follow me for years at a golf club if the other person made a stink about it. And rightly so. If I stood there and they scooped it up with me there it's a different story. You don't want to be known at "that person" who pulled what a lot of people think was a fast one

—Adam

Suzanne has issued what looks to be a fairly humble apology on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/74r3eQOVA4/

The apology seems heart felt and reflective of someone who was caught up in the heat of competition and wanted to win so badly she ignored the potential consequences of her decision.

While she may take some heat from the US fans for what she did, the real blowback could be in Europe where she not only poorly represented her country but may be blamed for lighting the fire under the American team that motivated them to fight harder for the win in the singles matchest resulting in them winning the Cup.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

At the end of the day a player should never assume anything. Just because its close enough to the hole a small fart could blow it in doesnt mean its going to be conceded. The top match play golfers (such as Ian Poulter) say you should never give a putt and always make your opponent play it, extra pressure can often make the difference,

Its the same as football here, we always say play to the whistle. Just because you've been hacked down doesnt mean the ref will give it.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Good for SP for apologizing. Let's put this behind us now. Lee learned not to pick up putts unless you're 100% sure, and the US probably won the cup because of this.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Peterson should have CONFRONTED Lee, not just turned her back after she decided to make an issue of it & not talk to her about it.   It was a spineless move to avoid the confrontation & not even talk to Lee about it ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Bottom line, Alison Lee made a mistake when she picked that ball up..

But Petterson and Hull were full of bull when they said that they intended to consult about whether to concede the putt. They were walking off the hole with the belief that the hole had been halved. Petterson was pretty petty in her actions and Hull had no choice but to back her up. Petterson's response today pretty much confirms all of that.

Don't want to sound sexist, but that would never have happened with men.

Bill M

Suzanne has issued what looks to be a fairly humble apology on Instagram: [URL=https://instagram.com/p/74r3eQOVA4/]https://instagram.com/p/74r3eQOVA4/[/URL]

I don't think anything else needs to be said. This should really put the whole thing to bed. Good on Suzanne.

This is the natural consequence of gamesmanship.

For instance:

What would you do if you were SP and the putt was never conceded?

I would probably retro-actively concede the putt, but not before making a huge self-righteous stink about it. "WELL, I WASN'T planning on conceding that putt, but you know what, honest mistake on your part, and tell you what, you can have it this time. NO NO NO, I insist. ROOKIE MISTAKE and all. Please, you obviously wanted the putt and felt you should have it, so here you go, you can have it. I am telling you now, ITS GOOD. Happy?"

I wouldn't go that far. Seems like she just got swept up in the heat of competition and made a poor decision. She realized afterwards that she shouldn't have done that.

Agree.

@Pete did you see her apology?

http://thesandtrap.com/t/84542/solheim-cup-controversy-who-is-more-at-fault/54#post_1202421

The apology seems heart felt and reflective of someone who was caught up in the heat of competition and wanted to win so badly she ignored the potential consequences of her decision.

Yep, good for Pettersen. Also glad to hear she had a chance to talk to Inkster.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't think anything else needs to be said. This should really put the whole thing to bed. Good on Suzanne.

Agree. I've don't think I've ever seen a more sincere public apology. She takes full responsibility for her unsportsmanlike actions. I won't hold this against her after this.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Heat of the moment is a *itch. Have done and said things in my life I regret to the day where in hindsight wish I had more presence of mind to be not so selfish and shortsighted. I suspect many of us have.

The apology makes things right after seeming to being in denial. If she maintained she wouldn't change a thing then, well, it would be just unfortunate to put it lightly. I hope people will accept (many seem to have) and hope she finds peace.

Vishal S.

Alison should not have assumed the putt was conceded...supposedly she was also warned earlier a couple of times about picking up putts...Alison should know better as she played match play many times in her Am career....likely a heat of the moment brain fart by Alison.

Not sure if this is true as I have not seen any confirmation of this.

If it is true that Alison was previously warned then it would seem to me that it may be deliberate move by Alison to not want to putt out the short putts for fear of missing them.

Regardless it is Alison fault if the putt was not conceded. I also don't know why this is considered poor sportsmanship. The concession of putts is an integral part of match play tactics.

Not sure if this is true as I have not seen any confirmation of this.

If it is true that Alison was previously warned then it would seem to me that it may be deliberate move by Alison to not want to putt out the short putts for fear of missing them.

Regardless it is Alison fault if the putt was not conceded. I also don't know why this is considered poor sportsmanship. The concession of putts is an integral part of match play tactics.

Look at the video again. If that is the way you act to your partners still on the green, then ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!