IGNORED

Would you rather win a Major or the FedEx Cup?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather Win a Major Championship or The $10 Million FedEx Cup?

• Major
    • FexEx Cup

We might very well have a second on the way...Next week end is going to be VERY exciting!

Odds are pretty good! Although I think I'd like to see Rickie jump up and join Day and Spieth in having outstanding seasons. One with 5 wins and major, one with 4 wins and 2 majors, and one with 3 wins, the Players and the FedEx Cup. That's a solid "Big Three" right there. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would take a major, specifically the masters of I had to choose. You get the ~$2 million up front along with two large benefits that mean you would never need to worry about money again, and have a nice vacation every year. The first is that you have a sponsorship boost immediately, which turns the $2 million dollar purse into something larger than the FedEx cup prize. The second is the ability to play in the Masters for life. At least 3 rounds at Augusta every year would be the dream of many golfers, and you can add in the fact that you might get paid to do it too, offsetting your travel fees. This would be a huge perk for any golfer.

Cash rules everything around me...give me the cup! If we're talking one win then I imagine without a stellar career to go with it you won't really be remembered anyway with only a single major.

Freddie Couples say's hello

Players play, tough players win!

Both would be amazing.  The cash wouldn't be a big deal, because if you're about to win a major or the cup, 10mil or whatever will be small compared to what you'd get from sponsors.  So it's really a matter of what's more important to you.  But I'd rather go with wanting to win the Masters over anything else.  Because of how prestigious the event is and the course, it would be really cool!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

14 other PGA tour wins and 2 European tour wins would probably qualify as fairly "stellar" in most peoples books.  Safe bet @Psyber is referring to the Todd Hamiltons, Ben Curtis', and Jim Turnesa's of the world. :-P

Even being an obscure major winner has its historical perks.  For instance, if Y.E. Yang had surprisingly won the FedEx Cup in 2009, he'd be kind of an "oh yeah, remember him?" footnote.  Whereas he'll always be brought up every August as an "anything can happen" underdog example, especially at future Hazeltine PGA Championships.

14 other PGA tour wins and 2 European tour wins would probably qualify as fairly "stellar" in most peoples books.  Safe bet @Psyber is referring to the Todd Hamiltons, Ben Curtis', and Jim Turnesa's of the world.:-P

Exactly. He definitely falls into my stellar career category.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Given the limited information in the question, I would pick the FedEx cup. To win that you've necessarily had a great season, played lots of good golf, and probably did some winning along the way. It culminated in playing great throughout the playoffs and winning the final. If that's all you have on your resume, I think it will be a more memorable experience and give me more personal pride than just one week of good golf then never win again. I've won competitions in other games and I can say that the longer it goes on before you win, the better it feels. Also who knows which will be better for your legacy. To win the FedEx, you probably got more TV time over the year, and there are a lot fewer fedex cups winners tha there are major winners. To those saying future endorsements with a major win may make up some of the difference in prize money, I don't see why those shouldn't be as big after a FedEx winning season.

I would take the Fed Ex Cup.  Ten million into your retirement account and probably five million in winnings that year.  If I had to pick my major to win it would be the Masters.  Second choice would be "The Open", then the PGA and last would be the US Open.  I just don't appreciate the way the USGA sets up courses for the US Open.  Chambers Bay was horrible, but that is only my opinion.

Seems like Rory would vote for major ;-)

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/23/rory-on-10-million-fedexcup-bonus-that-amount-of-money-doesn.html

Quote:

McIlroy said:

"Luckily, that amount of money doesn't sort of mean much to me anymore," said McIlroy on the eve of the season-ending Tour Championship in Atlanta that caps the FedExCup playoffs and awards the bonus to the points leader.

"It will go in the bank and if I want to buy something nice, I will. I mean, like, it's nice to think that you could win $10m this week, but that's not what excites me.

"It excites me to play well and to try and win. And the FedExCup is... one of the only things that I haven't put on my golf CV and that would be more exciting to do that rather than walk away with a cheque."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

you won't really be remembered anyway with only a single major.

As do Larry Mize, Craig Stadler, Tom Kite, Gene Littler, Corey Pavin, Ian Baker-Finch, Mark Calcavecchia, David Duval, Tom Weiskopf, Paul Azinger, Al Geiberber, Hal Sutton, Lanny Wadkins.......

Winning even one Major is a BIG deal.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Seems like Rory would vote for major ;-) [URL=http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/23/rory-on-10-million-fedexcup-bonus-that-amount-of-money-doesn.html]http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/23/rory-on-10-million-fedexcup-bonus-that-amount-of-money-doesn.html[/URL]

I don't know if this post is sarcasm, but that quote sounds to me like he'd prefer to win the FedEx cup. He says it's one unachieved accomplishment he would like to add.

I don't know if this post is sarcasm, but that quote sounds to me like he'd prefer to win the FedEx cup. He says it's one unachieved accomplishment he would like to add.

That's because he's already won 4 majors.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!