IGNORED

2015 Tour Championship Discussion Thread

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/80_40#post_1205973"] Makes me think of Woods' cut streak - 142 consecutive cuts made. That. Is quite a record.

That record will never come close to being broken, much like Cal Ripken's consecutive games played record. 142 tourneys w/o an MC is more impressive to me than 18 majors.[/quote] meant to multi-quote, hit the wrong button... i hate mondays... yes, that number is ridiculous, once you really think about it... he basically went 7-8 straight years without missing a cut... and on very few occasions was it even close... you can probably count on one hand the times he made it on the number (or even close to the number)... someone will no doubt comment that there are some "no cut" events in there... while true, that does not change the impressiveness (to make up a word) of that streak... interesting comparison you make in the last sentence...

Maybe it's Monday, but I'm still baffled why that series of results by Spieth with two MC, reminded anyone of Tiger's 142 straight tourneys without a MC ... and why is it germane to this discussion?

More coffee.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putt for dough.... Spieth has made a huge case that it all comes down to putting for the best players in the game, I know there's tons of stats that say otherwise, but watching Spieth make putt after putt from 15' and on just makes it no contest, putting is king for the pros, not GIR.

Putt for dough.... Spieth has made a huge case that it all comes down to putting for the best players in the game, I know there's tons of stats that say otherwise, but watching Spieth make putt after putt from 15' and on just makes it no contest, putting is king for the pros, not GIR.

Agreed. Only because they all have a high GIR to begin with.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Not really. He was usually past where HS hit his 3w and aside from a few bombs his approaches were better early in the round. He got hot late but it was good ball striking that kept him in it.

Dave :-)

Maybe it's Monday, but I'm still baffled why that series of results by Spieth with two MC, reminded anyone of Tiger's 142 straight tourneys without a MC ... and why is it germane to this discussion?

More coffee.

Yeah, I off topic'ed a little, my fault. I'll split it into another thread if it takes a life of its own.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No, and it's not even close. GIR is still king. Every putting statistic shows a much smaller relation to how they do compared to the ball striking statistics.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

More coffee.

Jermaine?

edit...werid, the pic is showing in the editor but not now when i post it.

Colin P.

Tough to make that blanket statement.

When one is scrambling and leaking oil as he did on the back 9, putting is king for his scoring; BUT

Jordan was

T9 GIR

T7 Driving Accuracy

16th Driving Distance

And of course 1st in strokes gained putting.

All phases must work to some extent to win.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

No, and it's not even close. GIR is still king. Every putting statistic shows a much smaller relation to how they do compared to the ball striking statistics.

You have to be careful judging on the basis of just one guy, or even just one tournament. I think if you look at the top 10 players in strokes gained putting, and compare them to the top 10 in strokes gained tee to green, it's the ball strikers who win more, not the putters. Top 10 SG Putting, 2015: Aaron Baddely, Jimmy Walker, Daniel Summerhays, Lee Westwood, Brandt Snedeker, Jason Day, Brendon Todd, Russell Henley, Jordan Spieth, Harris English. Top 10 SG tee to green: Bubba Watson, Henrik Stenson, Jim Furyk, Jordan Spieth, Jason Day,,Justin Rose, Webb Simpson, Hideki Matsuyama, Dustin Johnson, Paul Casey. Top 10 Money Earnings per event: Spieth, Day, McIlroy, Watson, Stenson, Fowler, Rose, DJ, Furyk, ZJ

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Strokes Gained at the TOUR Championship [pgatour.com]

Spieth is good at everything, it splits four ways perfectly.

Strokes gained per round (ranks in parentheses)

Putt

Jordan Spieth

Total

Drive

Appr

Short

Rank out of

2015 Season

2.5 (4)

0.6 (14)

0.6 (14)

0.6 (3)

0.6 (9)

TOUR Championship

2.6 (1)

0.6 (4)

-0.5 (21)

0.8 (4)

1.7 (1)

Round 1

1.7 (7)

0.1 (15)

0.2 (14)

0.3 (14)

1.1 (9)

Round 2

5.6 (1)

0.8 (8)

-0.7 (21)

2.4 (1)

3.1 (1)

Round 3

2.8 (4)

0.9 (2)

-0.1 (16)

0.7 (8)

1.2 (4)

Round 4

0.4 (12)

0.7 (4)

-1.4 (24)

-0.4 (19)

1.5 (8)

http://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2015/09/28/strokes-gained-at-tour-championship.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Strokes Gained at the TOUR Championship [pgatour.com] Spieth is good at everything, it splits four ways perfectly. [QUOTE] [TR] [TD] Strokes gained per round (ranks in parentheses) [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [CENTER] [TD] Putt [/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD] Jordan Spieth [/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD] Total [/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD] Drive [/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD] Appr [/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD] Short [/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD][CENTER] Rank out of [/CENTER][/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]2015 Season[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]2.5 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.6 (14)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.6 (14)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.6 (3)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.6 (9)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]199[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]TOUR Championship[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]2.6 (1)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.6 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]-0.5 (21)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.8 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]1.7 (1)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]28[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]Round 1[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]1.7 (7)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.1 (15)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.2 (14)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.3 (14)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]1.1 (9)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]28[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]Round 2[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]5.6 (1)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.8 (8)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]-0.7 (21)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]2.4 (1)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]3.1 (1)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]28[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]Round 3[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]2.8 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.9 (2)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]-0.1 (16)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.7 (8)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]1.2 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]28[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR] [TR] [RIGHT] [TD]Round 4[/TD][/RIGHT] [CENTER] [TD]0.4 (12)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]0.7 (4)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]-1.4 (24)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]-0.4 (19)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]1.5 (8)[/TD][/CENTER] [CENTER] [TD]28[/TD][/CENTER] [/TR]
[/QUOTE] [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2015/09/28/strokes-gained-at-tour-championship.html]http://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2015/09/28/strokes-gained-at-tour-championship.html[/URL]

i think you are misinterpreting that table... that would be "out of 28 competitors"... for the event, first in putting, 4th in driving and short game, and 21st in approaches... what's "interesting" is that even without knowing the stats, you could intuitively "know" them, just by watching/hearing the event... he rarely missed a tee ball, hit a bunch of indifferent approach shots, and made a bunch of longish par saves...

i think you are misinterpreting that table... that would be "out of 28 competitors"...

for the event, first in putting, 4th in driving and short game, and 21st in approaches...

what's "interesting" is that even without knowing the stats, you could intuitively "know" them, just by watching/hearing the event... he rarely missed a tee ball, hit a bunch of indifferent approach shots, and made a bunch of longish par saves...

I think Steven was just pointing out that for the season, and his 2.5 strokes gained, he splits it exactly evenly amongst the 4 categories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj

i think you are misinterpreting that table... that would be "out of 28 competitors"...

for the event, first in putting, 4th in driving and short game, and 21st in approaches...

what's "interesting" is that even without knowing the stats, you could intuitively "know" them, just by watching/hearing the event... he rarely missed a tee ball, hit a bunch of indifferent approach shots, and made a bunch of longish par saves...

I think Steven was just pointing out that for the season, and his 2.5 strokes gained, he splits it exactly evenly amongst the 4 categories.

Yes Drew, that's exactly what I meant. The reporters who say he's not good at any one thing but is good because of his mental tenacity and sheer will power should look at the table. He said he had a bad iron/long game day and yet he still managed to play decent, which I interpret as he has a pretty good long game. He doesn't hit it a country mile, but he gets it out there.

Steve

I'll change the tenor of the thread for a moment.

I think the look of the year was Stenson's eyeballing at Spieth after the 46 footer on 11.

I'll change the tenor of the thread for a moment.

I think the look of the year was Stenson's eyeballing at Spieth after the 46 footer on 11.

It was a great look, one of disbelief and futility.  When your opponent makes a putt like that and you're 3 behind it has to be disheartening.

Joe Paradiso

He doesn't hit it a country mile, but he gets it out there.

Yeah, the narrative seems to lean a bit towards him being a short hitter, but that isn't really accurate.  He averages 292 yards off the tee, which is about 3 yards above the tour average.  He's clearly a "middle of the pack" hitter, not a short hitter. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

He doesn't hit it a country mile, but he gets it out there.

Yeah, the narrative seems to lean a bit towards him being a short hitter, but that isn't really accurate.  He averages 292 yards off the tee, which is about 3 yards above the tour average.  He's clearly a "middle of the pack" hitter, not a short hitter. :)

Wonder how much of that is because, "You can't hit it that far w/that chicken wing!".

Steve

Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!