IGNORED

2015 Tour Championship Discussion Thread

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll change the tenor of the thread for a moment.

I think the look of the year was Stenson's eyeballing at Spieth after the 46 footer on 11.

I agree, that look of "you've got to be kidding me." I watched that a few times, classic. Great sportsmanship.

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wonder how much of that is because, "You can't hit it that far w/that chicken wing!".

That and two other factors, I'm guessing.

1)  He's alongside Jason Day and Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson a lot in majors over the last year or two, and ANYBODY is going to look like a short hitter in comparison to those three.  and

2)  He's young.  You rarely hear that much about what a short hitter Furyk or Ryan Moore or Kevin Na is.  (I didn't even know any of them were until I just looked it up)  You sometimes hear it about Zach Johnson.  All four of those guys are 10 yards or more behind Spieth's average.  Probably not a worthy topic either because none of them are spry 22 year olds, or perhaps they're also tiny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Wonder how much of that is because, "You can't hit it that far w/that chicken wing!".

That and two other factors, I'm guessing.

1)  He's alongside Jason Day and Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson a lot in majors over the last year or two, and ANYBODY is going to look like a short hitter in comparison to those three.  and

2)  He's young.  You rarely hear that much about what a short hitter Furyk or Ryan Moore or Kevin Na is.  (I didn't even know any of them were until I just looked it up)  You sometimes hear it about Zach Johnson.  All four of those guys are 10 yards or more behind Spieth's average.  Probably not a worthy topic either because none of them are spry 22 year olds, or perhaps they're also tiny.

Yes and not to beat a dead horse, the shot tracer comparisons don't help either. Every time I see a graphic, Spieth's blue line (am I reading into it too much he always gets blue? I may be reading into the symbolism too much.) is below opponent's red line. I dunno about Spieth, but I could make $250 million a year and that would still annoy me, a little.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

[QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/90_30#post_1206243"] i think you are misinterpreting that table... that would be "out of 28 competitors"... for the event, first in putting, 4th in driving and short game, and 21st in approaches... what's "interesting" is that even without knowing the stats, you could intuitively "know" them, just by watching/hearing the event... he rarely missed a tee ball, hit a bunch of indifferent approach shots, and made a bunch of longish par saves...[/QUOTE] I think Steven was just pointing out that for the season, and his 2.5 strokes gained, he splits it exactly evenly amongst the 4 categories.

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/90#post_1206280"][QUOTE name="Golfingdad" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/100_10#post_1206265"]   [QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/90_30#post_1206243"] i think you are misinterpreting that table... that would be "out of 28 competitors"... for the event, first in putting, 4th in driving and short game, and 21st in approaches... what's "interesting" is that even without knowing the stats, you could intuitively "know" them, just by watching/hearing the event... he rarely missed a tee ball, hit a bunch of indifferent approach shots, and made a bunch of longish par saves...[/QUOTE] I think Steven was just pointing out that for the season, and his 2.5 strokes gained, he splits it exactly evenly amongst the 4 categories. [/QUOTE] Yes Drew, that's exactly what I meant. The reporters who say he's not good at any one thing but is good because of his mental tenacity and sheer will power should look at the table. He said he had a bad iron/long game day and yet he still managed to play decent, which I interpret as he has a pretty good long game. He doesn't hit it a country mile, but he gets it out there. [/quote] :doh: sometimes, i need to think a little harder about the point someone is trying to make before i post...

sometimes, i need to think a little harder about the point someone is trying to make before i post...

LOL. We all misinterpret from time to time. :beer:

Stenson's shank (that has a nice ring to it unfortunately.)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

LOL. We all misinterpret from time to time.

Stenson's shank (that has a nice ring to it unfortunately.)

By the time of that shot, Shankson was mentally done.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just watchin the tournament now. On 10, Stenson's ball got caught up in that drainage grate. He took a drop in front of the grate, rather than behind. It was closer to the hole. Did anyone notice that and/or understand what happened there?

I thought I saw the same thing, but sm guessing that the camera must have cut away before his ball completely came to rest...maybe it was only his back foot in the grate with his ball actually lying a bit in front parallel to where he ended up dropping. Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I think Stenson's birdie putt on 18 was worth over 1.2 M to him- 3 M for 2nd in FEC vs 2 M for 3rd and at least 200 K more for t2 instead of t4.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!