IGNORED

Alignment perfection what's the definitive way on the course?

Note: This thread is 1873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Practice.  I believe you have to practice proper alignment enough on the range, using alignment sticks or whatever you need, so that proper alignment becomes automatic when you can't use the aids.  With proper practice, the right alignment will eventually come to FEEL right.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course there is alignment rods and such on the driving range but whats the definitive way on those tough shots at the golf course to ensure your lined up right?

I like an intermediate target. I try to imagine the ball flight and pick a target about 1-3 FT infront of the ball. Then I line up to that.

You can practice this on the range. Lay down two alignment rods parallel between you and the ball. Go through your routine of picking out a spot then line up making sure you are parallel to the rods. This will train your eye to get your body in the right alignment.

Practice.  I believe you have to practice proper alignment enough on the range, using alignment sticks or whatever you need, so that proper alignment becomes automatic when you can't use the aids.  With proper practice, the right alignment will eventually come to FEEL right.

+1 to that

Intermediate targets are good, but don't work for everyone.  I've never been able to use the intermediate target method, but my alignment is good most of the time.

As a right handed golfer, I find it helpful to step into the ball with my feet together, line the club up to where I want the ball to end up with my right hand, and then step into my stance according to how I want the ball to move.

So if i want to hit a fade, I will aim my clubface at point A and my body at point B just left of it.

In regards to being able to do this consistently and correctly, it does go back to practice.  I've hit tens of thousands of golf balls using an alignment stick on the range.

If you want to most effectively practice alignment, hit 20 balls with the alignment stick down, and then line up without it.  After you've lined up without the stick, just lay the club down so it is parallel to your toes and stand back and see where it is pointed.  If it is pointed just a yard or two left of the target (for a right handed golfer), you're golden!

I hope this helps :)

• 5 months later...
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 3:26 AM, saevel25 said:

I like an intermediate target. I try to imagine the ball flight and pick a target about 1-3 FT infront of the ball. Then I line up to that.

You can practice this on the range.

I know this is an old thread but I stumbled upon it at lunch today so I went to the range and tried it. It felt like I was closer to my down range target I was when I used an intermediate target. I liked how much easier it seemed to get square to the intermediate than something down range. This was especially noticeable with driver.  Great post Matt.

Note: This thread is 1873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!