Sign in to follow this  
MEfree

Would you embarrass yourself for 200 K?

Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 posts / 1777 viewsLast Reply

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100? By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns). I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100?

By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns).

I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

If I was in the position of someone who just needs the money, I would absolutely play at all costs. If it meant taking half swings or something that's fine, I could go enjoy a vacation while making two strolls around a beautiful golf course and occasionally swatting around a white ball.

$200,000 is no small amount to a lot of guys who haven't made it big. While you probably have a couple million in the bank if you've made it to the tour championship, I would still value 4x an average yearly salary over a minor amount of embarrassment provided that it didn't affect my ability to make a living in the future (ie. injure me to the point that I have to sit out in later events).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would I? Sure. $200k is a lot of money to me. Hell, if they wanted to fill the field, they could have called me and I'd have "embarrassed" myself for free. Beyond that, I'm not sure I understand the question. Half the field "embarrasses" themselves at every PGA Tour event every week by missing the cut, and they earn nothing for doing so....

I embarrass myself for free every day. For $200K, I'll play while dressed as Little Bo Peep if that's what it takes.

If I was in JF's shoes, I wouldn't play either. Causing further damage to an injury could potentially impact much more in future earnings... would be a bad idea

I embarrass myself for free every day. For $200K, I'll play while dressed as Little Bo Peep if that's what it takes.

I embarrassed myself today and paid $50, no problem doing it and getting paid $200K.

I think if you're a player like Berger, you would show up for the $200k almost no matter what.

It's interesting to think about where the "line in the sand" is.  If he is struggling a bit and knows he's going to shoot a 90 every day, that's one thing.  But what if he literally couldn't swing a club?  For $200k, would an injured Tour Pro show up with a cast on his wrist and see if he can just whack it around the course one-handed for four days to collect his check?  What if it was $950k?

I have embarrassed myself for a hell of a lot less that $200K, so yeah I would show up, and collect my losing money.

I think if you're a player like Berger, you would show up for the $200k almost no matter what.

It's interesting to think about where the "line in the sand" is.  If he is struggling a bit and knows he's going to shoot a 90 every day, that's one thing.  But what if he literally couldn't swing a club?  For $200k, would an injured Tour Pro show up with a cast on his wrist and see if he can just whack it around the course one-handed for four days to collect his check?  What if it was $950k?

It would depend on who the player is. If they're struggling to get by, you better bet they'll show up and do whatever it takes to collect the check, even if it means holding the club in their teeth or playing on crutches.

It would depend on who the player is. If they're struggling to get by, you better bet they'll show up and do whatever it takes to collect the check, even if it means holding the club in their teeth or playing on crutches.

And...I would probably watch every minute of it.

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100?

By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns).

I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

You're waaay off base.........

A most valuable asset to any touring pro is being healthy.   Playing injured can hurt can shorten careers...especially for an old guy like JF who's in the twilight of his career...........................missing a guaranteed $200k cut is small potatoes to most of these guys.  (especially for a guy like JF)  The same goes for Rory........$200K is a weekend road trip/party money.

Yea...if you're a rookie pro with no massive NIKE endorsements........he probably plays hurt to collect a big check.  I get that.

Imagine if a pro could put in a pinch golfer. The tour championship would be full of average joes/caddies that were playing just to get the prize money for their boss.

Would I do it? Of course. If I were Furyk, heck no. That dude probably drops $200 K when he farts. Plus the point made about not screwing around with injuries is bang on.

You're waaay off base......... A most valuable asset to any touring pro is being healthy.   Playing injured can hurt can shorten careers...especially for an old guy like JF who's in the twilight of his career...........................missing a guaranteed $200k cut is small potatoes to most of these guys.  (especially for a guy like JF)  The same goes for Rory........$200K is a weekend road trip/party money.   Yea...if you're a rookie pro with no massive NIKE endorsements........he probably plays hurt to collect a big check.  I get that.

How am I way off base? Did you read what I said in the OP? What you and I said isn't that different except that I assumed playing 1 handed wouldn't do further damage to the injured wrist. [quote name="MEfree" url="/t/84624/would-you-embarrass-yourself-for-200-k#post_1204563"]Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100? By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns). I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?[/quote]

I am starting a collection and passing a hat around TST!!!

Seriously, that might be worth $200k just to see!

Of course, I'm sure that @dkolo would do the right thing and donate all of it to a charity picked by yours truly. :smartass:

Cool this is a standing offer for all, especially any bored billionaire lurkers

Seriously, that might be worth $200k just to see!

Of course, I'm sure that @dkolo would do the right thing and donate all of it to a charity picked by yours truly.

Yeah, the United @dkolo College Loan Fund, haha

Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!