IGNORED

What course would you play for free the rest of your life?

jcjim
Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As tempting as it would be to pick something like Pinehurst, how often could I get there? not often, so I'll take something local like Bethpage Black, or maybe Red.

We've got a gem right here in St. Louis. It's called Glen Echo Country Club. http://www.gecc.org/

I got to play it twice this summer (first was a practice round) as part of our local amateur circuit tournaments.

Some highlights:

• Oldest country club west of the Mississippi still at its original site.
  • Designed by James Foulis; the Foulis brothers apprenticed with Old Tom Morris at St. Andrews, then came to the USA and build dozens of courses, primarily in the Midwest.
  • Site of the 1904 Olympics golf matches - only time prior to 2016 golf appeared in the Olympics.

No. 6     The Glen     176 yards     Par 3

The course has rolling terrain, and the holes reflect an era when the designer had to take the natural land, and find places for tees and greens. You needed a creative eye, and moved soil where needed with horses, plowboards, and wagons. You couldn't move 10,000 cubic yards of dirt to shape a 150-yard par 3.

Interesting touch...

• No. 7, Par 4   470 (goes downhill slightly to deep green)
  • No. 8, Par 5   470 yards (goes uphill to shallower, terraced green)

These two holes run side by side.

And, there's lots more... check out the website.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Then again, maybe just the nice local club where so many of my buddies are now members....

Yup, this is probably what I would do too ... take advantage of this hypothetical opportunity to become a member of a nice local CC, perhaps Mission Viejo CC.

I'd relocate for Augusta National. It'd be no problem finding a good job down there once you let it slip you have an opening in your regular Sunday foursome.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

St Andrews. Old Course for free and the New Course and Jubilee are awesome and much cheaper so I'd be happy to pay to play them to change things up from time to time.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Easy one! I live about 1 hour and 20 minutes away from this course in Northern California and could easily go there weekly or more: Pebble Beach it is.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Assuming I would live near the course I would say Pebble Beach or Kapalua. The climate around Pebble Beach would be perfect for me, not too hot. Kapalua would mean I was living on Maui! :-D

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

well it could be one of 2 places for me because I am not moving.

Merion - is 20 miles hard to argue, you can get a game and it is an active club. I have heard mixed reviews about the members there so that would be a concern.

Pine Valley - is about 40 miles but it is not a real active club, you kind of need to bring your group with you.

on more review I might actually go with Aronimink because it is a kick ass golf course and the people are great. Very active club, lots of opportunity to get a game.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I'd pick North Berwick West Links. Played it a couple of times and its great fun to play and would love to be a member if I lived closer (Only 1.5hr away at the moment).

Of other courses that are generally unobtainable I'd say Kingsbarns, The Old Course, Pebble Beach, Augusta.

• Upvote 1

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

I'd relocate for Augusta National. It'd be no problem finding a good job down there once you let it slip you have an opening in your regular Sunday foursome.

I'm with you, I'd find a job somewhere and play August National every day.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I think the key to this question is location and pace of play. I'd love to move back to Texas. I've never played there, but Briggs Ranch is supposed to be the best private course in San Antonio. Membership is limited to 400 and it's golf only, so PoP has to be decent right?

When I go to Austin next, I'll play the barton hills courses and see if that might be my course.

I wouldn't want to live in pebble beach/monterrey and I wouldn't want to spend 5hrs on Pebble every day either.

If I stayed in Phoenix, Troon North (either course) would be my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with Augusta is that you can only play it 4-5 months out of the year. 

Going by the courses I've played and where I could play all year long I would probably go with Cypress or MPCC. 

Courses I would strongly consider but haven't played yet, Pinehurst #2, LACC, Mid Pines.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Does this include moving expenses and a new house? Or free travel expenses, too? No?

I could get on The Old Course with my current HC and shoot, I'd expect a 95 - 100 depending upon the wind and if I could stay out of the pot bunkers. But travel to Scotland is expensive and takes quite a while. Scottish Cuisine is an oxymoron. So I'd probably only be able to do this once. Lifetime.... free.... So this means something more local. Bandon Dunes came to mind, but that's a 6 hr drive each way, and unless free hotel expenses were included that's out.

Okay, that rules out a lot of places, because that means I have to be able to afford to get there. And as I'm not getting any younger it means it has to be riding cart friendly, so that leaves out Chambers Bay. TPC Snoqualmie Ridge is an hour drive and about 800 ft above sea level and they play the Boeing Classic there every year - it's been rated in the top 5 courses in WA and Fred Couples has walked the fairways; or The Home Course which is about a 20 minute drive, and they will be building a club house at some point which has been rated in the top 10 - granted it's not the most exciting course, but it's well maintained and has views to rival Chambers Bay.

So if I didn't have to pay anything like memberships, TPC Snoqualmie Ridge looks like the local winner.

I love the Home Course and almost paid for a tee time tomorrow but something came up.

Another one would be the Olympic Course at Gold Mountain or even the one I hit with one of the pros that oost on here this summer: Tumble Creek in Cle Elum.

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!