IGNORED

Do you carry the Rules of Golf with you when you play?

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you have the Rules with you on the course?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the Rules with you on the course?

• Yes, the app
    • No

All depends on the situation and who you're playing with. In a comp or if money is changing hands then yes, play by the rules.

If your playing for the fun of the game, then a little give and take cant hurt. If you hit OB, take a drop where it when out rather than going 200+ yards back to the tee.

If your in a real bad lie and you know you will struggle, ask your partner if you can you can take a free drop (no closed to hole of course).

When i play for fun i dont play by the full rules as i dont belive you need to to enjoy the game. Lets face it, the full rules can be a bit of a kiljoy!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find a good score / good round much more satisfying when I actually played by the official rules. For me it has much more meaning that way. 'Play it as it lies' is one of them. Next to a tree without being able to play forward, inside a divot, in the bushes, bunker etc.: too bad, it's part of the game. In fact, when you get out of it with a good shot and still make a decent score, it almost feels better then scoring a birdie. Almost ;-)

Edited by Silent

~Jorrit

This Boatright is obviously not related to P J Boatwright, one of the most revered Rules officials.

Maybe I am pioneers of the game always see things differently. Are you one to blindly follow a rule because you have no backbone? Answer this why not have 16 clubs and don't say why not have 100 clubs.. What's wrong with 16 clubs,no ob and more relief from fairways. To me rules are for relief not to penalize. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I am pioneers of the game always see things differently. Are you one to blindly follow a rule because you have no backbone? Answer this why not have 16 clubs and don't say why not have 100 clubs.. What's wrong with 16 clubs,no ob and more relief from fairways. To me rules are for relief not to penalize. 

Pioneer, now that is funny. Way to crack a joke there. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I play by the rules 99.9 % of the time. I play it down except when it's plugged and I don't play out of bounds,but on my home course there is no out o bounds. Trust me I play real golf I hit it and hit it again that's golf. I do take relief from sand filled divots in the fairway because that's the way it should be.

"I play by the rules 99.9% of the time… except all these rules that I think are stupid."

You're not a pioneer. People have been arguing against playing out of divots forever, and the Rules have never changed in that regard. They're not an abnormal condition, they're just bad luck. What's wrong with 16? The Rules of Golf say 14, that's what's wrong. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it would change the game for no real upside, just like making first downs 9 yards or 10 meters instead of ten yards in the NFL.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like your way of thinking!  Too many people here are just blindly following rules for no reason.  Then as soon as you question them they get all annoyed and angry.  Its pretty funny.

But wait!  You are ruining the sanctity of golf!  Golf will never be the same stiff game it is now if we don't get the rule book out every round.

Pioneer, now that is funny. Way to crack a joke there. 

To you, what is the definition of a pioneer?  Somebody who only follows the rules in front of them?  Mike is not far off in his definition, whether you agree with him is not important.

What part of @mvmac's post implied that there was "harm"?

This is a prime example of what others have mentioned: you seem to not read what's written, and this is another example. Then you go after @Fourputt next:

Soccer has multiple sets of rules. They're following the rules of the game.

The Principles of the game are not "hitting a tiny white ball toward a hole." They are the foundation upon which the rules are based. We even have a thread about the booklet that describes the Principles in detail:

Geeze...  Is everything a personal attack with you?  

You are just as guilty as mischaracterizing as you claim I am....

And its good to know that other sports can have other rules (which are way different than the official rules) but golf has to be played by the same rules you choose to follow.  

LOL.  I have to own a book to know what the principles of golf are.  Good one.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

In my opinion it's a bit strange claiming that following the rules is like not having a backbone. While in fact one could argue that not following the rules because you don't like one is actually a lack of backbone.

~Jorrit

In my opinion it's a bit strange claiming that following the rules is like not having a backbone. While in fact one could argue that not following the rules because you don't like one is actually a lack of backbone.

It means not having a backbone as you are not thinking for yourself and just following what somebody else told you is right.  

Not very progressive.

Tony  

It means not having a backbone as you are not thinking for yourself and just following what somebody else told you is right.  

Not very progressive.

Yea, that's kind of what you're supposed to do when you play a game. When I play a game of chess I don't decide for myself I find the rule that your King can only move one field is stupid, and therefor start moving it more fields. Or in soccer, that I find it lame that I can't touch the ball with my hands, so let's not follow it. Maybe I should devide my score in golf by 2, I just don't like the rule that I have to count every single shot I take. But you know why I don't do all those things? Because I do have a backbone, and I like to play to my best abilities within the set of rules given to me. Also my score really tells me how I played and is a fair comparrisation to other people's scores and my average. But hey, knock yourself out by doing whatever makes you happy.

~Jorrit

• Administrator

Not very progressive.

Whaaaaaaat???

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Whaaaaaaat???

I understand progressiveness is a hard concept....

Its easier to just follow the rules that somebody else made for you.

Yea, that's kind of what you're supposed to do when you play a game. When I play a game of chess I don't decide for myself I find the rule that your King can only move one field is stupid, and therefor start moving it more fields. Or in soccer, that I find it lame that I can't touch the ball with my hands, so let's not follow it. Maybe I should devide my score in golf by 2, I just don't like the rule that I have to count every single shot I take. But you know why I don't do all those things? Because I do have a backbone, and I like to play to my best abilities within the set of rules given to me. Also my score really tells me how I played and is a fair comparrisation to other people's scores and my average. But hey, knock yourself out by doing whatever makes you happy.

The rules you are describing (hands in soccer) are changing the fundamentals of the game.  Big difference.

Improving your lie and not taking OB do not change the fundamentals of golf.  They remain the same.  

Tony  

Its easier to just follow the rules that somebody else made for you.

Cut the crap or you will be restricted from this thread. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

To you, what is the definition of a pioneer?  Somebody who only follows the rules in front of them?  Mike is not far off in his definition, whether you agree with him is not important.

Definitely not Boatright. If he actually came up with rules that made the game better then we might discuss it. His three ideas are not worthy of consideration. 

And its good to know that other sports can have other rules (which are way different than the official rules) but golf has to be played by the same rules you choose to follow.  

LOL.  I have to own a book to know what the principles of golf are.  Good one.

So, just because other sports do it we have to? That sounds like an argument a 5th grader makes when he doesn't get a candy bar when another kid gets one. 

If you want to go take free drops, take mulligans, ect.. go ahead. No one is stopping you. Just make it clear you are playing your own style of the game and not the real game of golf. 

No, its hard to understand your sort of idiocy. 

Improving your lie and not taking OB do not change the fundamentals of golf.  They remain the same.  

Sure it is. 

You don't even know the basic premise of the game of golf then. 

1-1. General

The Game of Golf consists of playing a ball with a club from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules.

1-2. Exerting Influence on Movement of Ball or Altering Physical Conditions

A player must not (i) take an action with the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play or (ii) alter physical conditions with the intent of affecting the playing of a hole.

There's the underlying premise for majority of the rules for golf. Your two actions, not taking OB and Improving your Lie, violates the basic premise of the game. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

@pumaAttack it has nothing to do with being "progressive." 

@pumaAttack it has nothing to do with being "progressive." 

It absolutely does.  When ever somebody here discusses a rule change or adaptation, the majority just cry foul and go crawling back to the rules of golf handbook.

You have to think outside the normal conventions to be progressive, which most people here are afraid of doing.  If the Rules committee listened to people here, we would never have any rule changes. 

No, its hard to understand your sort of idiocy. 

Resorting to name calling and putting people down, eh?  

Tony  

The honor in the game of golf comes from not cheating like dropping another ball or lying on your scorecard that's stupid. To me golf has plenty of hazards out there to make the game insanely challenging as it is. Bunkers,trees,giant lakes 4 foot grass. The fairway in itself should be a place where relief is permitted always. I mean if the ball is plugged you get relief so you should get relief from a sand filled divot,otherwise soggy ground etc.. We have local rules like winter where you clean and place. With today's equipment basically making you have 4 wedges and 2 hybrids as mandatory 16 clubs should be permitted it's a very small change.

People just admit it there are way to many rules in the game and many of them are outdated or irrelevant. 

13 12 Craig Stadler.jpg

Edited by Mike Boatright

It absolutely does.  When ever somebody here discusses a rule change or adaptation, the majority just cry foul and go crawling back to the rules of golf handbook.

You have to think outside the normal conventions to be progressive, which most people here are afraid of doing.  If the Rules committee listened to people here, we would never have any rule changes. 

Or consider for a moment that we have actually spent time understanding the principles of golf, read the rules, and came to the conclusion that the rules are supported by the principles. It seems maybe you a the poster below are discounting the rules because fear your scores will go up. 

The honor is the game of golf comes from not cheating like dropping another ball or lying on your scorecard that's stupid. To me golf has plenty of hazards out there to make the game insanely challenging as it is. Bunkers,trees,giant lakes 4 foot grass. The fairway in itself should be a place where relief is permitted always. I mean if the ball is plugged you get relief so you should get relief from a sand filled divot,otherwise soggy ground etc.. We have local rules like winter where you clean and place. With today's equipment basically making you have 4 wedges and 2 hybrids as mandatory 16 clubs should be permitted it's a very small change.

The honor of the game comes from playing by the rules as written. You are cheating yourself and anyone who plays you for money or trophies if you do not.  If you want to discuss these other things, @iacas pointed you to existing thread for those topics.

This thread is about carry a rulebook.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I do not think that 14 clubs is a limiting factor to most people like myself that play golf on weekends for fun ... it is lack of talent to hit the 14 I have ... 

I have read enough of these rules threads to know the sides have been drawn, and the conversation/debate will take a nasty turn soon. 

Edited by isukgolf

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!