IGNORED

My Swing (Mike Boatright)

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

From what I see in my video is that I don't have a true sway I obviously come off the ball a foot but it appears that I also turn my hips as well. I think this is kinda hard for me because I'm always trying to not reverse pivot and I feel if I stay to static in my turn that I well reverse in the opposite direction and hit weak hooks. I'm sure feel isn't real anyway and would probably hit it flush more often making a better static turn with a quieter head.

I'm not disagreeing here just it looks that I appear to come off the ball first then rotate and make a hip turn. I'll try to stay static and turn instead see if that does anything for me. I'll post a few video on the range in the future preferably some iron swings.

56f83b91dbba9_AnalyzrImageExport.thumb.jpg.419f8d4810ba7ff108d1bc13cafe91d2.jpg

Edited by Mike Boatright

22 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

From what I see in my video is that I don't have a true sway

A sway is a sway even if you turn or do not turn. A sway is a lateral movement with the hips with or with out turn.

23 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I think this is kinda hard for me because I'm always trying to not reverse pivot and I feel if I stay to static in my turn that I well reverse in the opposite direction and hit weak hooks.

That is probably because you turn incorrectly if you do keep your head steady.You shouldn't be compensating against a hook by shifting a foot off the ball.

26 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I'm not disagreeing here just it looks that I appear to come off the ball first then rotate and make a hip turn. I'll try to stay static and turn instead see if that does anything for me. I'll post a few video on the range in the future preferably some iron swings.

I would make some movements with out hitting a ball. Don't even swing a club. I would lay a club on the ground perpendicular to your target line but inline with your chin. Then turn, with out a club, such that your left shoulder stays over that club. Really focus on letting that right hip go back sooner in the swing.

Check out that Centered Pivot thread and the 5SK video thread. Look for Key #1 videos. Find one that works for you and shows you the most improvement over a sustained length of time.

Just don't go beat 200 golf balls and think you are doing any good. Really work on the correct movements first.

Here would be a good challenge for you. Instead of hitting 200 balls, hit 50 golf balls. First, make 4 slow methodical good swings on a Key #1 drill. Really search out that feel that allows you to maintain non-sway swing with a steady head. Then make a 50-60% swing with a ball and video tape it. Check to see if your head is steadier. Keep doing that for the 50-75 golf balls. Then you will be making 200+ swings and get better results out of it.

When you post the video, post one doing a drill that works for you and get advice on it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

When you post the video, post one doing a drill that works for you and get advice on it. 

Read the 5S of Effective Practice thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A sway is a sway even if you turn or do not turn. A sway is a lateral movement with the hips with or with out turn.

That is probably because you turn incorrectly if you do keep your head steady.You shouldn't be compensating against a hook by shifting a foot off the ball.

I would make some movements with out hitting a ball. Don't even swing a club. I would lay a club on the ground perpendicular to your target line but inline with your chin. Then turn, with out a club, such that your left shoulder stays over that club. Really focus on letting that right hip go back sooner in the swing.

Check out that Centered Pivot thread and the 5SK video thread. Look for Key #1 videos. Find one that works for you and shows you the most improvement over a sustained length of time.

Just don't go beat 200 golf balls and think you are doing any good. Really work on the correct movements first.

Here would be a good challenge for you. Instead of hitting 200 balls, hit 50 golf balls. First, make 4 slow methodical good swings on a Key #1 drill. Really search out that feel that allows you to maintain non-sway swing with a steady head. Then make a 50-60% swing with a ball and video tape it. Check to see if your head is steadier. Keep doing that for the 50-75 golf balls. Then you will be making 200+ swings and get better results out of it.

Will do good idea I love hitting balls at 60% to ingrain what your working on.  yes I turn incorrectly instead of the weight going to the inside of my right foot it goes to the outside I move off the ball then make a traditional hip turn. From my view it's actually powerful and takes the pressure of my back it's  less consistent for sure I guess im just coordinated to be able to play with it.

Just repeating what I said before, but when working on slow backswing stuff, a mirror works great.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

46 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Will do good idea I love hitting balls at 60% to ingrain what your working on.  yes I turn incorrectly instead of the weight going to the inside of my right foot it goes to the outside I move off the ball then make a traditional hip turn. From my view it's actually powerful and takes the pressure of my back it's  less consistent for sure I guess im just coordinated to be able to play with it.

Another aid or thought to help with a good turn is a medicine ball.  As you take a normal set up, hold the medicine ball as you would the golf club (kinda), and make a back swing by handing the ball off to "a person" to your right. You'll notice your hips turning and the lateral movement is minimal.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Just now, phillyk said:

Another aid or thought to help with a good turn is a medicine ball.  As you take a normal set up, hold the medicine ball as you would the golf club (kinda), and make a back swing by handing the ball off to "a person" to your right. You'll notice your hips turning and the lateral movement is minimal.

Sound good I probably have some weakness I can work on in the gym. I mostly lift weights and work on legs and lack core strength and rotation exercises. Easy habit to get into at the gym because of the machines are st up to go.

1 hour ago, Mike Boatright said:

I'm not disagreeing here just it looks that I appear to come off the ball first then rotate and make a hip turn.

Coming off the ball is the undesireable movement. Learn to turn without doing that. Let your right knee extend and your left knee flex in towards your right.

From my view it's actually powerful

It's not. If anything, being overextended in the backswing forces you to exert more energy to bring the club back on plane and down to the ball.

Like I said to you before, as long as you believe this, you will never be able to change the picture.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Meh...you probably just need new clubs.

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You may want to find someone with a K-Vest as that will help you see in 3D that you're over-extending the hips and shoulder turn on your back swing.  

While I'm not overly flexible I found I was making too big a turn with my hips and torso.  It feels powerful but it's actually less powerful than preventing your hips from turning too much and feeling a good stretch between your hips and torso.  

I had a similar problem though my head movement wasn't as much as yours and working with the K-Vest has helped me get the proper back swing movement

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Sound good I probably have some weakness I can work on in the gym. I mostly lift weights and work on legs and lack core strength and rotation exercises. Easy habit to get into at the gym because of the machines are st up to go.

This statement makes you sound like the fix is going to be trivial. It's not.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
1 hour ago, billchao said:

Coming off the ball is the undesireable movement. Learn to turn without doing that. Let your right knee extend and your left knee flex in towards your right.

It's not. If anything, being overextended in the backswing forces you to exert more energy to bring the club back on plane and down to the ball.

Like I said to you before, as long as you believe this, you will never be able to change the picture.

It depends on who you are I had a back injury years back and I don't know if I'm capable of making a traditional golf swing one in which you load up into your right foot and coil. So compared to doing this and having a unwound golf swing it's more powerful for me because it's an adaptive move. Again I could be wrong i'll work on it and I'f I see more club head speed and power I will stay with it I'f I physically can.

Edited by Mike Boatright

15 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

It depends on who you are I had a back injury years back and I don't know if I'm capable of making a traditional golf swing one in which you load up into your right foot and coil. So compared to doing this and having a unwound golf swing it's more powerful for me because it's an adaptive move. Again I could be wrong i'll work on it and I'f I see more club head speed and power I will stay with it I'f I physically can.

The problem is your sway in the back swing. This actually takes more flexibility. It's just one of those "bad" habits. . .

Moving forward on the downswing is not a bad thing. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You have S posture at address. That and your overextension are both going to give you back issues.

I don't really see any physical limitations on your part. Most people with back problems have limited mobility. You're doing the opposite.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Fine. I don't see much difference.

You're right - pivot is essentially the same.

Just being particular in case it mattered to viewer. Driver is slightly longer and slightly different ball position.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

5 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

From what I see in my video is that I don't have a true sway I obviously come off the ball a foot but it appears that I also turn my hips as well. I think this is kinda hard for me because I'm always trying to not reverse pivot and I feel if I stay to static in my turn that I well reverse in the opposite direction and hit weak hooks. I'm sure feel isn't real anyway and would probably hit it flush more often making a better static turn with a quieter head.

56f83b91dbba9_AnalyzrImageExport.thumb.jpg.419f8d4810ba7ff108d1bc13cafe91d2.jpg

Do you see how your right knee is bent and pointing outward? This is indicating to me that your weight is shifting to the outside of your right foot. Someone suggested putting a golf ball under it. That can be awkward. You can use an alignment stick instead for the feel. It will help. 

Turning the hips is not the end of the world.I think you're misunderstanding the concept of weight shift in relation to steady head and trying to avoid a reverse pivot. Here's are a couple of videos from a top instructor. This is basically the same thing that Mike and Erik have said but perhaps you'll see it because it's explained a little differently and with an Irish accent. ;) 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I don't really see any physical limitations on your part. Most people with back problems have limited mobility. You're doing the opposite.

Iv'e worked hard on it yes I just to have even more mobility as a 23 year old. So what is an S posture?

10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

A lot of well meaning people giving a lot of good advice here Mike, I suggest you take it.

I am reading and watching everything thanks

Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!