IGNORED

Proper Grip Pressure (It's Firmer than You Might Think)

iacas

I have to stop and realize that I'm being drawn into childish confrontation. I was wrong to allow myself to react in such a manner. I will take the first step and apologize for my words. As a professional, I should have more control. I will kindly bow out of this conversation not as a loser but as a mature person. We have our different opinions and that's ok. All of the greats of the game have critics as well. So with that. I hope that my apology is accepted.

Not sure who you're talking to but apology accepted. I certainly don't want to have my ass kicked. :scared:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I have to stop and realize that I'm being drawn into childish confrontation.

You weren't "drawn in" and you are the only person to have behaved "childish"ly. You literally threatened to beat someone up. :P

Apology accepted. Now, if you would, please answer the questions I and others have posed to you, and address the points raised by others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to stop and realize that I'm being drawn into childish confrontation. I was wrong to allow myself to react in such a manner. I will take the first step and apologize for my words. As a professional, I should have more control. I will kindly bow out of this conversation not as a loser but as a mature person. We have our different opinions and that's ok. All of the greats of the game have critics as well. So with that. I hope that my apology is accepted.

Accepted!!!

Perhaps what we should is meet on the course, lay a little money on it and don't forget the Trackman, and we can see who walks away with a pocket full of money. This is why I stopped corresponding on sandtrap because of immature clowns like you. Then after I kick your a.. on the course, I just kick you a.. You're obviously a punk that hides on the computer.

The problem is most people can't take the type of honest and open discussion that occur on this forum. Takes a crazy type of golfer to be able to sit back and actually take constructive criticism. I am for one glad that I have joined this forum and found intelligent golfers who are willing to speak freely with candor to one another too promote ideas and discussion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The problem is most people can't take the type of honest and open discussion that occur on this forum. Takes a crazy type of golfer to be able to sit back and actually take constructive criticism. I am for one glad that I have joined this forum and found intelligent golfers who are willing to speak freely with candor to one another too promote ideas and discussion.

Exactly. People often come here from a place where their knowledge is never questioned or challenged because they are universally viewed as an expert with unassailable knowledge but here on the Trap we make it a habit to question and challenge a lot of beliefs and dogmas. This leads to a lot of learning and discovery which would never happen if we all just said, "well 'so and so' must be right, look at all those credentials".

I've been a member of this forum for around 3 years now and the patterns are usually the same, the outcome depends on how the new person reacts to having his previously unassailable knowledge called into question and challenged. Some people freak out, get pissed off and eventual leave in a blaze of gunfire like Butch Cassidy and Sundance. Other people open themselves up for real debate and growth and become another thread in the vibrant community we have here.

I invite you @golfballs01 to be one of the guys that sticks around and explores and grows with us, you clearly have a wealth of knowledge and could contribute a lot to the community but you'll need to check your ego at the door.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If @golfballs01 is still around, I just want to put in my two shekels and say that, bar none, the information that I have found on this site, especially from Erik (iacas), has been invaluable, from the revelatory Ball Flight Laws thread that initially blew my mind like a monkey on a cupcake, to the info on 5SK, and most importantly, research based. You will not find the tired anecdotal tips that have been around for decades, spewed by the golf rags, but not based on fact. This site is awesome. Colin007 Forum Leader, No Talent Ass Clown (NTAC) Federal Booty Inspector, Instigator, Amigo Level 1 Create A Golfer, Yoga Observator, Flipper Shankopotomus
  • Upvote 2

Colin P.

Colin007

Forum Leader, No Talent Ass Clown (NTAC)

Federal Booty Inspector, Instigator, Amigo

Level 1 Create A Golfer, Yoga Observator, Flipper

Shankopotomus

:dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If @golfballs01 is still around, I just want to put in my two shekels and say that, bar none, the information that I have found on this site, especially from Erik (iacas), has been invaluable, from the revelatory Ball Flight Laws thread that initially blew my mind like a monkey on a cupcake, to the info on 5SK, and most importantly, research based. You will not find the tired anecdotal tips that have been around for decades, spewed by the golf rags, but not based on fact. This site is awesome. Colin007 Forum Leader, No Talent Ass Clown (NTAC) Federal Booty Inspector, Instigator, Amigo Level 1 Create A Golfer, Yoga Observator, Flipper Shankopotomus

Sweet. We need some NTAC badges stat!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator
:offtopic: :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wished someone had told me this 15 years ago.

It has taken me till the last year before I actually got this. I've always wonder how the hell one hold a club "like holding a bird" yet maintaining adequate control.

The concept of a soft wrist and forearms is exactly what I have been practicing for the last year and I also do the waving the clubhead around though not in the air ..... more like what Duffner does.

@ay33660 ,

A good drill to practice this separation of grip pressure and relaxed wrists can be done with just practice swings.  Start swinging the club back and forth slowly with light grip pressure and relaxed wrists. Progressively increase the pressure on the fingers gripping the club while keeping the wrists relaxed.  You can feel the separation this way.  You can increase your pressure to max and still have relaxed wrists.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@ay33660 ,

A good drill to practice this separation of grip pressure and relaxed wrists can be done with just practice swings.  Start swinging the club back and forth slowly with light grip pressure and relaxed wrists. Progressively increase the pressure on the fingers gripping the club while keeping the wrists relaxed.  You can feel the separation this way.  You can increase your pressure to max and still have relaxed wrists.

That sounds like a good tip.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I got the idea after discussion with you and @mvmac a number of pages ago.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think this was mentioned earlier, but grip pressure limiting wrist mobility mostly has to do with where the pressure is being appplied, right? For example, I feel like I can death grip with the last three fingers of my top hand and still have free movement of the wrist, but I start to get firm if I squeeze with the thumb.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
I think this was mentioned earlier, but grip pressure limiting wrist mobility mostly has to do with where the pressure is being appplied, right?

For example, I feel like I can death grip with the last three fingers of my top hand and still have free movement of the wrist, but I start to get firm if I squeeze with the thumb.

I think you could learn to push your thumb fairly firmly while still maintaining a "soft" wrist, though the thumb may be the hardest of the digits (particularly since it has only one joint beyond the "palm" part of your hand).

My guess is the thumb in that instance will neutralize some of the leverage provided by the pinky, ring, and middle fingers.  That co-contraction or antagonism is pretty likely to filter up to a couple wrist joints.

It's almost like playing tug of war against yourself...lots of effort that goes nowhere.  Just a guess but I'd imagine you could lose feel of the clubhead's weight as well.

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

That bird quote has confused more golfers than anything. You need a FIRM grip, like on a turkey that weighs 25pounds and it knows you about to take its head off. Now how firm would you hold that bird? Not a death grip, but firm. Just look at the 18 inch divots pros take with wedges. No way can you do that without a very firm grip. GRIP IT AND RIP IT. Not a death grip, but you need a solid firm grip. Most anateurs have too little grip pressure now.

Grip pressure is too broad a description since different fingers/thumbs can exert pressure just by being place incorrectly.If you are holding the club correctly you can squeeze the hell out of it .You need to squeeze the club at times when trying to firm up the wrists which are the culprits especially in the short game.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

That bird quote has confused more golfers than anything. You need a FIRM grip, like on a turkey that weighs 25pounds and it knows you about to take its head off. Now how firm would you hold that bird? Not a death grip, but firm. Just look at the 18 inch divots pros take with wedges. No way can you do that without a very firm grip. GRIP IT AND RIP IT. Not a death grip, but you need a solid firm grip. Most anateurs have too little grip pressure now.

18 inch divot? Something doesn't sound right.. That's a foot and a half and no way a golfer keeps contact with ground that long... Can they?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad