IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

On 12/12/2020 at 1:38 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

On my course that might have been a 99.  😁  Trees left, trees right, trees in the middle of the fairway.  If you go too deep into the woods you are guaranteed a sasquatch encounter...

I enjoy playing a tight golf course. The home course we played all of our high school matches on was extremely tight. I didn’t even carry a driver. It was 3 wood or 4 iron for me back then. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, Hardspoon said:

Don't know, don't care...played golf on December 12th in Western PA.  🙂

(Shot a 46 on the front nine, stopped after 11 holes when it started raining)

That’s how I felt Friday! I live in Greensburg so I imagine I’m not all that far from you. Played Friday. We were going to play Saturday but the rain in forecast scared us off some and we moved the planned round to Friday. Agreed just happy to play in December!

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

80 (diff of 9.5)

• fairways - 10/14 (71%)
  • GIR - 8 (44%)
  • putts - 33 (two three-putts & 5 one-putts)

The pendulum work definitely showed up today.   I didn’t leave many lags inside 2ft, but I didn’t leave any outside of 4ft either. Overall solid improvement. Had some great chips around the green which allowed the 3 of those 5 one-putts.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

104 on a soggy course, temps in the 40's, a light wind - well 1/2 of it was cart path only, 1/2 fairways.   No matter, the drives had zero roll - more like drop and plop, welcome to winter golf in NC.  Greens could not get a feel for, way too many putts well past the hole and I thought I had a feel for them after warming up on the practice green.  Of course the practice green is flat as a pancake and the real greens have plenty of slope/undulations. Good thing - 10/13 on fairways hit. Bad thing only 2 of 18 in regulation, Worse thing - 44 total putts.  Good thing - no penalty strokes.  Best thing - Golf in December.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Last week I was shooting in the mid 80's, 84, 86, then on Saturday, I had one of those exceptional days and shot a 71. Had 4 birdies, 1 bogey. Then the 17th hole happened. Double Bogey!, Just a stupid mental mistake. Par on the last hole for a 35-36. Today's round was another ho-hum round of 79.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

1 hour ago, Rkrider99 said:

Last week I was shooting in the mid 80's, 84, 86, then on Saturday, I had one of those exceptional days and shot a 71. Had 4 birdies, 1 bogey. Then the 17th hole happened. Double Bogey!, Just a stupid mental mistake. Par on the last hole for a 35-36. Today's round was another ho-hum round of 79.

Two things.  First and foremost, congratulations, great playing.  But second, what was the "stupid mental mistake"?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Two things.  First and foremost, congratulations, great playing.  But second, what was the "stupid mental mistake"?

Flag is on the back of the green. Green slopes back to front, so you're in trouble going over the green, trying to chip back to the hole. Sand trap in front of the green. I just watched my two playing partners dump it in the trap. 130 yards to the back of the green, which is my 9 iron. I should have grabbed my PW and hit it hard, about 120 yards, but I decided to take the 9 iron, and hit it easy. Well, hit it way too easy into the trap, I barely get out of the trap and on the front of the green, again, worrying about going over the green, end up 3 putting for the double.

Hindsight is just terrible!

Usually it's an easy hole. I probably birdie that hole more than most, but just bad thinking on that particular shot.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I played eighteen holes on a very soggy course yesterday, and my bro and the two others I played with bailed after three holes. And I decided to play the blue tees for this round (6443 yards). I actually had a solid round going (+8 thru eight, but tripled the easy par-5 ninth after a stupid third shot for 47 on the front.

It went all downhill from there, and I didn’t record a single par on the back (three were carded on the front) with five bogeys, two doubles and two triples, which gave me a 51 on the back, 98 total. Putting absolutely killed me. Only one single putt, and I had five three putts and a four putt. The four putt and three of the three putts were inexcusable, so that’s five strokes right there. I hit the ball pretty well, but as y’all know, that’s only half the battle. I’m hoping to get in one more round before Christmas.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Moved back up to the whites at my home course yesterday, and not exactly what I was thinking. 48 on the front with not a single par, and three doubles. I missed a two-footer for par on the seventh after one of my best shots of the day, a double-breaker bump-and-run 6I chip shot off a tight lie. 

I started the back with a par, but it turned out to be my only one of the day. I made a quad on the 13th and a triple on the last, and shot 50 on the front for a 98. What could be my last round of 2020 was disappointing, although I putted a lot better than I did Monday. Next step is probably gonna be hitting the range.

WITB:

79 today. 38-41. Felt so focused on the front nine, and so out of it on the back. Well, we'll see whay happens tomorrow.

Shot 84 today, 14 GIR/nGIR, 34 putts, and ZERO penalty strokes. Had a good trigger for finishing backswing and transitioning, and managed to keep my tempo pretty good all round. Had a few mishits, but not very were severely penal.

Didn't take a scorecard out today, just let my Shotscope watch count for me. It usually does a decent job, with an occasional missed or added shot. I reviewed my round as soon as it ended and only had one correction to make. Not having a scorecard gave me a nice feeling of freedom during the round, so I think I may do this more often to allow me to be more present in the round.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Not even close to a good round today. My bro and I played a short course near us, and I didn’t start that bad, three fives where par is 4-4-3, but I tripled the next three holes and it all went downhill from there. I ended with a 55 on the front and a 60 on the back (which included a birdie on the 17th). A 115 total. A living nightmare.

My brother posted a 53 on the front and held a two-stroke lead, and he ended up shooting 59 on the back for a 112 total, beating me for the first time ever. The sixteenth was my worst hole of the day, a par 3 over water that played only 120 yards. Only down by two, I hit two in the water, hit my fifth over the green, chunked my chip, and couldn’t get up and down. Now seven back, I had virtually no chance to catch him barring a collapse by him.

On the 17th, he got possibly the luckiest break I’ve ever witnessed. To put it in some context, the hole is a super short par 5 (425 whites), but if you want to get on in two, you need to hit your second high so it lands soft. The green is shallow, you’ve got water short of the green with at most a yard between the edge of the green and the water, and you’ve got OB not far behind the green.

He wasn’t having the best of holes, and he was laying four about 100 yards out, meaning he was staring at a seven, likely more, in the face, while I was just long of the green in two (I would get up and down for the birdie I noted earlier). He chose a 9I and hit it thin and it darted toward the water, which would almost guarantee triple bogey or worse given his game. But it skipped three or four times on the water before skipping onto dry land, and onto the green, ten feet out at that. He made the most of his luck by dropping that putt for a bogey, which could’ve easily been a triple or worse.

I had cut some off his lead, but as I said earlier, my chances went with my second, possibly my first, ball in the water on 16. I was down by five and cut two more off his lead on the last (I made double to his quad), but it was too late. I would’ve needed a birdie three to catch him which, because the last hole is a short par 4, was definitely not out of the question. Here’s the scorecard, we played the white tees:

F467801A-197E-46BC-A82D-371A01171F7F.thumb.jpeg.e15a733242dd1e776e446098230b683a.jpeg

You can see I was on the struggle bus pretty much all day, save for the ninth and 17th. Alignment off the tee cost me on half a dozen holes, and on four of those occasions I was re-teeing. I also duck-hooked four tee shots, not normal for me at all. Good news is I’m playing again tomorrow, same course. I know I can score on that course (several good scoring opportunities), so I’m gonna sleep on that thought tonight and report back here tomorrow afternoon.

WITB:

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Not even close to a good round today.

564 posts, but none are in a Member Swing topic of your own? Maybe change that here…?

You’ve posted and contributed a lot here. You can take advantage of the opportunity to get some help. People will want to help you, fellow members.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

564 posts, but none are in a Member Swing topic of your own? Maybe change that here…?

I think I took a video of my swing a while back and tried to post it, but I couldn’t for some reason. Is there something specific I need to do?

WITB:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I think I took a video of my swing a while back and tried to post it, but I couldn’t for some reason. Is there something specific I need to do?

Put it on YouTube. Make sure your camera angles are good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Today’s round was a lot better than yesterday! Same course, same tees, pretty much the exact same conditions. I shot 45 on the front: two pars, two doubles. Same deal on the back, for a total of 90. My pars were on holes 6, 7, 15 and 18 (see scorecard from my pose yesterday for reference).

Nothing above a six until the 17th, where I hit my second shot OB and made a double bogey. But nothing over a double on the card.

My brother shot 52-61, which isn’t terrible for him, but we both need to get back into the grind, since season is two months out.

WITB:

My brother and I played an afternoon nine with a buddy today. No idea what my bro shot (thought my buddy was keeping his score, but he didn’t). My friend shot a 37 (+1) on our front nine, but he had to finish birdie-par-par-birdie to accomplish that. 

As for myself, I’m satisfied, but not thrilled, with my 45. I started bogey-double-par, then bogeys from there to the clubhouse. Here are two major mistakes I’ve picked out:

HOLE 2: I gave my downhill chip (third shot, par 4) too much juice and it ran through the green. Couldn’t get up-and-down from there and made double.

HOLE 9: This one’s in two parts. After two shots left me in prime position (par-5), I thinned my pitch shot about 25 past the flag, which, with that pin location and the slope of the green, is close to suicide. When you’re above the hole on this green, a three putt is pretty close to guaranteed. I actually got the speed perfect on the first putt, but I missed the two-footer for par. 

So my final round of 2020 was definitely a solid finish to my golfing year. For the birdie challenge, I’ve gotten 11 out of 18, missing holes 2, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 18. The last four are really tough holes to birdie (especially with me as a mid-high handicapper), but I’m a bit disappointed that I didn’t get 2, 7 or 11. None of those are that hard. Oh well. Looking forward to seeing what 2021 has in store!

WITB: