IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

An ugly 84 today (39-45).

Thought it's a great day for golf, striped my drive down the 1st fairway, 100 yards to the pin. Second shot right over the pin about 6' away, make the putt for a bird. Go par, par, par, par, for the next 4 holes, birdie on the 6th, then the wheels come off. Double bogey, bogey, par, to finish off the front with a 39.

Start off par, par, for the back nine, but then hit the trees on the tee shot, hit the trees on the second shot, and end up with a double. Again, went downhill from there, ending with a 45.

Just a loss of focus after those first 6 holes. Almost like I hit a wall. I will admit the temperature was climbing into the mid to high 80's and I have to start acclimating to that, as it's supposed to get near 90 later in the week.

Tomorrow mornings tee time is 7:15 AM, so we'll see what I can do.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 91 today, to be expected with 7 GIR/nGIR, and 3 penalty strokes. Had one snowman on the front, and another on the back. Approach play was terrible, with an uncanny amount of shanks. Decent driving and scrambling kept my score somewhat respectable. I did chip in for a birdie on #10, which kind of salvaged a frustrating day.

Hole #5 was a perfect microcosm of how I played. Short par-4 (320 yards), which forces you to lay back, unless you can accurately carry the ball ~275+ yards with driver. Hit a solid tee shot with a hybrid that ran through the fairway into some light rough. Shanked my partial wedge approach over onto an adjacent hole into some native weeds. Had another partial wedge onto the green from the junk, then 2-putts for bogey.

Shank.png.fd828e446f8e677675968797c5077064.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Westwood is a wide-open par-70. So...  Still, I was pleased with the round. (Also, the wind was a solid two-clubs most of the day.)

I doubled the first hole and it could have gone south immediately. Instead, I managed two birdies, back-to-back, on holes 4 and 5. The rest of the day was a steady mix of bogeys and pars.

Shot a 92 today. Ground was saturated and steady 15-25 mph gusts. I'll take it. Only 3 pars all day but no major blow ups. just quite a few double bogeys. Maintaining that newly found 16.7 handicap.

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

Shot 79 today (42 front, 37 back) to break 80 for the first time. I almost turned the round into a long practice session after the second hole because the greens were aerated recently, and the surfaces were super bumpy and had multiple spots that had been repaired and were irregular. Glad I continued though.

Had 14 GIR/nGIR, 27 putts, and zero penalty strokes. It was a low event round, no birdies, mostly pars with some bogeys sprinkled aroundo. I had 8 up and downs for par from the nGIR, which was the key to hitting the milestone. Also almost completed the "no sixes" challenge, with only a single six on the card, after a couple bad breaks with overhanging limbs.

• Like 2

-Peter

Darkfrog - congrats on breaking 80!  ...you know, when I broke 80 the first time, I went out and treated myself to a new set of irons... just saying!

My round was 91. A weird round because I felt like I was playing well in many respects, but my putts wouldn't fall, if I hit a fairway I seemed to always find a divot, I lost 5 balls total (😭 5 penalty strokes -- though two of those should have been findable - they hit tree branches and I never found the ball), and I hit it over two greens with clubs that should  have landed on the front edge.

Still, had two birdies, and I managed to get on a par-5 in two.  Missed the 15' putt though.

• Like 1

70, 72 and 72 this weekend.

Solid start to today's round lol

1140259448_ScreenShot2021-03-07at8_45_36PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, Roblar said:

Darkfrog - congrats on breaking 80!  ...you know, when I broke 80 the first time, I went out and treated myself to a new set of irons... just saying!

Lol, I picked up my new irons about 1.5 weeks ago. Maybe a new driver though 😆

• Like 1

-Peter

I’ve actually played twice times in the past week, but haven’t gotten around to posting! I played last Friday (18 holes) and then today (7 holes). 

FRI: A buddy invited me to play Croasdaile, a super nice private course. We played the blue tees (6500 yards), one up from the tips. I played okay, given how tough the course is, but definitely not my best stuff. 50-54. I was actually playing bogey golf through five holes, but then I made sevens on the next two holes, a nine on the tenth and a six on the 11th (par 3). My buddy shot 84. Not just best either, but we weren’t exactly playing in the best conditions: windy, cold and wet.

As we stood on the seventh tee, which is a long par 4 (435 from the blues), the wind picked up. Right into our face. A long par 4, uphill, into the 15 mph wind, with wet fairways. My buddy smoked his tee ball, and he still had over 200 yards in. It was crazy.

TODAY: Played again today after getting team pics, despite being only seven holes (walked in after seven). I ended up shooting +6 with a birdie on the second hole (made about a 30-footer) and a triple on the very next hole. Putting was great with the exception of one hole. I hit my approach on the fifth within five feet, but rammed that two feet past and missed that.

We’ve got a 9-hole scrimmage tomorrow  afternoon against our rival school, really looking forward to that!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played Westin Mission Hills Pete Dye course today and shot 93. Things are starting to get better, although I still have a bit to do to get back to where I was. Driver was great today, irons not so much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

An even 100 (54/46).  Front 9 was all about blowing up on both par 5’s (quad bogie on both) and too many double bogies with no pars on the front.  Back was better with me finally making par on 10 - this has been a nemesis hole for me since day one.  Also parred 17.  8 of 14 fairways hit. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

We had our first scrimmage today, and it wasn’t exactly my best effort. We played the white tees except for the fourth hole, which we played from the reds. The tee shot is hit over a lake, and the red tees are on the other side, turning the 478-yard par-5 into a 345-yard par-4, making the front a par 35. 

I started triple-triple-par-triple, I’ll spare the details there. Then for the next four holes I was a beast, going +1 in that stretch, the lone bogey coming after I caught a horrible bounce into a fairway bunker and I had an awkward stance. Then I doubled the last hole to shoot 47 overall. I’ll take it after the first four holes! Next scrimmage is on Thursday!

WITB:

Blew off the afternoon of work and went to the course. Didn’t book a tee time and hoped to get out as a single. New guy at the clubhouse not nearly as cool as the pros I know well who would have snuck me out. He made me wait 2 hours for a hole. I spent a lot of time at the range and putting green. Early in the season I wasn’t complaining. I have a range pass so didn’t cost me anything to hit 2 small buckets. I brought a great swing to the course. Dare I say my A game on the front? Maybe B to B+ as I shot 2 over and fell apart. I’m not in 18 hole shape yep. 3 rounds and 3 back 9 blow ups. This one was 5 over. Finished at 77. Best of the year. Hitting driver well. I hit 10 fairways. Only 30 putts. Just need to dial my irons in. I’m used to hitting 12-14 GIR not 6! Short game saved me. Iron play almost buried me on the back. Hit a bunch of chunky irons on back I attribute to being mentally and physically not in 18 hole golf shape. It will come. Playing again today. Have a tee time and a playing partner.... hopefully 75 or better!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Game is getting there. 77 today but my issue had been playing 18 mentally and physically and falling apart after 9. Back 9 today 7/9 greens hit. The 2 misses were on the fringe. Shot 1 over 37 on the back with 8 pars. Front I took 2 doubles at 7 and 9 that hurt what was a half decent day otherwise. Driving it well. Hitting irons solid. Putting is the next aspect I need to improve for the season. Didn’t really make a thing today. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Second scrimmage was today, and it was a lot better than Tuesday. Like Tuesday, I started with a triple on the first hole. I bogeyed the second hole, but only after I hit a perfect approach and nailed the bottom of the stick on the fly, my ball spinning off the front of the green. As good as I hit it, it probably would’ve been within five feet had it not hit the stick.

Being four over at this point, I went two over on the last seven holes and shot 41, a much more satisfying number than my round from Tuesday. Two more highlights from the round:

•I was sitting three short of the green on the fifth hole, and I managed to hit a good chip to about three feet and I made the putt for bogey.

•I was on in regulation on the eighth hole, but 50 feet out. Two putted from there.

Game feels pretty good right now, which I need come Saturday, when I’m going to play a new (to me) golf course.

WITB:

I got to play yesterday, for the first time in about two months.  As part of my "phasing into retirement" I took a midweek day off, and played with a regular bunch of the retired guys at my club.  We played as a 7-some on the front, dropped back to just a 6-some on the back, and finished in about 4:20, not too bad.  It was a beautiful day, I had an absolute blast, even though I lost about $16 playing Wolf for a quarter a point.

We played the White (usually senior) tees, about 5700 yards (69.4/128).  I was really pleased at the way I played after the long layoff, I shot 74, +1 net with my 1 handicap stroke from those tees..  Drove it pretty well, putted and chipped generally well.  I had a couple of twitchy partial wedge shots, something to practice on a little bit, and one or two poor decisions, mostly not being familiar with playing from those tees.  Its good to be back to playing!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Got to play with my son and grandson.   Since he's 4-1/2 we are teeing him from about 120-130 out these days.  Soon we will move him to the Jr tees on the courses that have such.  For me I "thought" it was going to be a new low round kind of day - 1st two holes were bogey with a par on the 3rd.  Then I lost my groove and wound up with a 48 on the front and 57 on the back.  The 5mins Daily routines have afforded me some better work with the irons - as there were no way off line slices today, most were either on line or pulled left, not duck hooks  but just good old straight left.  Drives stayed in the fade mode.  Putting was "meh" with 42 strokes, but I am not familiar with these greens and they were super, super fast.  Looking forward to more as the grass is starting to come to life around here.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star