IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I’m tuning up for our Club Championship. We are playing #2, #4 and #5. It’s next week so I’ve been focusing on those courses last week and this week. Today I played #4, White tees at 6428 yards.  Started off nicely going par,birdie,par,birdie. Then a few bogeys ensued and finished with a 37 on the front 9.  Birdied the 10th hole and had pars the next 3 holes (missed a 4 footer for a birdie on 13). Last 5 holes I got a little loose with the driver and had to scramble to make a few pars, shot a 38 on the back for a 75.

#2 in the morning, the #4, then #2 and #5 on Friday.  Sprinkle in a little practice early next week. Tournament starts Friday. Forecast is scattered Thunderstorms over the 3 days. Hope that changes.

We went back to Falls Village today for the third time this summer. I was the only one of the three of us who submitted a final score, and I ended up shooting a respectable 90 from the blues. Bookend triples, solid golf in between. Two birdies on the 9th (par 5) and 14th (par 3) holes, and a few nice par saves.

Putting was the only poor part of my game today: five three putts, four of them on the back. Only one was really “acceptable”, because it was a 60-foot double breaker down the hill. Two were from below the hole, one was after I missed an 18-inch putt and the last one after I tried to backhand a six-inch putt.

Bad news: my handicap took a hit. The round coming off my card was at this same course and from the same tees . I adjusted to an 88. Today, I adjusted to an 89. I missed by one because I missed a six-inch backhand putt. Oh well. Such are the many woes of golf.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today I shot a 91, playing a course with several friends (Babe Course in Industry Hills).  One tee shot O.B., and a blow-up hole (hit the wrong fairway, took way too many to get back and into play, was too stubborn on three shots).  

At one point, on a par-5, I had to lay up with my putter.  I hit the GIR but there was some fringe and a bit of rough between me and the hole, and I wasn't about to chip from the green.  I ended up hitting it decently well, and had a chance at par and a tap-in bogey.  My fault for hitting the worst possible GIR.  Also, why does that course not color code their flags?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

A not so great day today, with a 95 (47 /48) at the home course.  Started off as a last minute decision to play, so midday tee time (temps in the 90's and humidity to match).  Get to the course and I have left the wallet home, so I call the wife to see where she is as she was in town shopping.  She agrees to meet me and pony up the green fees.  Rush back to the course, now its after 1pm teeing off.  Driver started things off with a pull left into the rough next to the trees.  From there I stayed in scramble mode the rest of the round.  Only one GIR on the easiest par 4 on the course as a good 3w will give you a good mid-iron in to the green.  Putting was iffy, but consistent as most holes were two putts only.  Best shot of the day was on 16, this time I was right and about 110 yds out, under the canopy on that side.  Decided to take the 3w and go a quick punch shot, ala stinger, onto the green.  Success as the ball finished about mid-green with a 15foot putt for par, which came up short for bogie 6.  One factor I did not mention is that this course tends to play as what many would call "cow pasture golf" as the greens are iffy at best, some with little to no turf (they are working on it) and the fairways are what most courses call the first cut of rough.  Ball lands, ball stands in the spot (at least you know your true carry as there ain't no roll happening)  Tomorrow I am partnering up with my wife's first cousin's husband to play one of the better courses in the area.  Looking forward to maybe flirting with the 80's again.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Today was sort of a last minute decision to play, and I’ll just say this: I’m glad I did! Decided on Croasdaile for this round, blue tees (71.9/136).

Heck of a start: I was +1 through 5 with my lone bogey on a par 3 that was playing short today (was playing 130 compared to 150 on the card). But I crashed and burned on the toughest stretch on the course, holes 6 through 9, and I turned in 46. Then I doubled the short par-5 tenth after shanking my third from 80 yards and missing a one-foot putt, and I bogeyed eleven. But then this is where it got interesting. I’ll do a hole-by-hole of the rest of the round:

No. 12 (Par 4, 414 yds): Drive to right rough, had about 150 in. I heeled an 8I a bit and came up just short, but got up and down for the par save.

No. 13 (Par 5, 510 yds): Poor drive to right trees, but I was able to punch out well. I still had over 200 yards for my third shot, but I nailed it out of the rough to just short and made another up and down par after my birdie chip hung on the lip.

No. 14 (Par 3, 180 yds): I hit a gorgeous hybrid to about 12 feet, but three putted after my par putt lipped out.

No. 15 (Par 4, 318 yds): I decided to hit driver on this narrow hole and hooked it into the left trees. After a punch out to within 60 yards of the green, I hit a beautiful pitch to seven feet and made the putt for par.

No. 16 (Par 4, 410 yds): First Fairway hit on the back nine, had about 170 in. I thinned a 7I into the right bunker and was shortsided, but I hit a great bunker shot and made the putt.

No. 17 (Par 4, 359 yds): A drive down the middle left me 120 in. I hit a solid wedge to about 25 feet. Took one quick look (some suspicious clouds were starting to form) and I drilled the putt for birdie. Three over for the side.

No. 18 (Par 4, 352 yds): A solid 3W with a baby draw left me a nearly identical yardage to the last hole. Same club, same result: about 25 feet. I gave it a bit too much and it rolled four feet past, but I was able to roll in the comebacker.

46 on the front, 39 on the back. An 85 total on this tough golf course. Even par on the last seven holes, with a par-birdie-par finish. My handicap also took a huge dip: 13.6 to 12.9!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

All we needed was 3rd place points to win our league. I scrambled all night. I hit just 2 GIR. Managed to take just 15 putts. Dropped a 15 foot birdie at 13. Lengthy par save at 14. Felt like I should have had another putt or 2 and been more like 13 putts. Was hitting irons off the toe. Been fighting that for a few week. I ended up shooting 4 over for the side. 1 over net. As a te we net 2 under. Good enough for 3rd place points and WE DID WIN OUR LEAGUE! so despite what was a difficult experience for me with us averaging well over 2 hours every week for the 9 holes and the many times the pace of play frustrating me to the point I felt like not coming back we did at least win. And last night was 2.25 hours and painfully slow like always.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

10 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

No. 14 (Par 3, 180 yds): I hit a gorgeous hybrid to about 12 feet, but three putted after my par putt lipped out.

Reminds me of this quote, which I am paraphrasing, in a course I play on.  "You experience extreme highs and lows in a short duration.  Are you by choice a golfer"

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I thought maybe with the current string of better play, a good round was in store for today as well.  My wife's first cousin's husband and I joined up for a round at one of the better courses in the area (plays  70.1/127 from the blues (approx 6,100 yds)).  Historically this course usually eats my lunch on about 4 holes and it did not fail, except it only got me on 3 holes today (+4, +6, +6).  Still it was a 107 kind of day - ugly on the front and the back.  It was slow play as well as there was a foursome that had us on their heels and never even offered to let us play through, a lot of starting and stopping.  Highlight of the day was an errant tee shot on the par 3 11th hole that ricocheted back to the front of the green.  That was the only gift of the course today.   My playing partner scored about what he normally plays which is just under bogie at 85.   We agreed to play again soon as they are only in the area through next week.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Just shot the best 9 holes of my life. Didn't even feel like I was striking the ball that well but I made the putts I should and played the round safely. Had an 8 footer for birdie on 1 that I just missed and left my eagle putt on 9 5 feet short my nerves were rattled but I made the birdie putt. if I had hit those this round would have been absurd, Had one of the best hole outs of my life on 2 I hit a 7 iron to 70 yards out short of the water then hit a horrific thin 30 yards over the green. It was the same yardage I had in on 1 and I 3 hopped it right into the hole for birdie from then it was off to the races. Birdied 3, 6, 7, and 9 without a bogie to shoot a 31 which was 3 shots better than my personal best. The last month has been so much fun I just want to get to the point where this is the norm.

image.png.77fa5e05c6e51e73634113ea5d34abf7.png

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Visited another local course today, played the green tees (67.9/117 about 5735yds).  I really like this course as it has some of the best greens I've ever rolled a ball across.  Great undulations and slopes that make putting a challenge.  To be honest I was hoping to better the 91 I shot there last week.  Not happening with a 50 front / 50 back for a flat 100.  Spent most of the day scrambling as I was playing ping-pong golf.  I can say the best part of the day was when the foursome that was ahead, that was slower than slow, allowed the guy playing behind me to catch up as we made the turn (I had my 5 yr old grandson playing today) and he offered to play out the balance of the round with us.  We learned a little about each other, laughed at our games but most of all enjoyed spending time on the course.  Thanks Doug - you made a little kid happy and helped keep an old man sane.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Happy to share that I had my best round of my life this week, shooting 96.  I had two blow-up holes or it could have been even lower.  Beats my previous personal best by 3 and typical score by 5+, and beat my typical playing partner for the first time all year.

Something magical happened with my driver--it was smashed down the middle all day.  Felt something on the range 2 days previous, and it miraculously stuck.  Was getting +30-50 yards compared to normal and life was glorious for the entire day.

Here's to hoping I can keep that swing the next time out!

96 tuesday, 90 wednesday.  Suffolk Golf course. Too many triples. 
Tuesday, course a little soft. Some chunky iron shots and chunky chips made getting on the green a challenge.  Putting saved breaking 100!

Wednesday, round 2. Front 9 47, Back 9 43. Irons much better.  Had a string of doubles and triples before the swing settled down. 

It was hot and humid, two oppressive days for golf. 

Today was day one of my club championship.  I figured if I had two rounds in the mid 80s, I'd make the cut and get to play on Sunday.  So much for that idea, I shot a 79 today.  ;-) 

8 GIR, plus a collar.  8 near-GIRs that weren't that collar.  Pretty much the only hole where I wasn't on or near the green in regulation was hole 5, where I hit a poor punch when I was blocked out from the green.

I know its a small sample size, but my SLP today was 1.61 -- under the 10 handicap baseline.  I'd be thrilled if I could putt like that regularly.  :-) I already have plenty of rounds with 7-9 GIR and a handful of near-GIR, but I don't often convert them into sub-80 scores. 

This was also my third ever round under 80, and first at my home course. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

53 - 39 , with makeable putts on 2 of my three bogies on the back.  

utterly lopsided round of golf.  I’ve not been above 45 for 9 holes for months, since the courses around here stop being super soaked with water.

—Adam

Shot 84 today (45 / 39), with 11 GIR/nGIR, 31 putts, and 1 penalty stroke.

Front 9 sucked, with two triple bogeys, and those two triples didn't even include the purest shank I have ever hit (which remarkably ended up as only a bogey). I hit 6-iron on a 200-yard, slightly downhill par-3, and hammered the ball off the hosel onto the back of the tee box of an adjacent hole playing the opposite direction. From there I still had 130 yards to the green, but I was obstructed by trees so I hit a 3/4 gap wedge to the apron on short of the green, pitched on, and then made a 20-foot putt to save an unlikely bogey.

At some point in the round, one of the guys in my group mentioned it looked like I was swinging quick, which resonated with me, as I often short change my backswing and rush into downswing. Starting on the back 9, I used a feel of an exaggeratedly long backswing with a pause at the top, and things improved enough to play decently from that point on.

Had two birdies, but both of them were repeats of the easiest holes on the course (for me).

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Yesterday was round two of club championship.  I mentioned Friday's 79 for the opening round, and the four shot lead on my flight's gross division, a few posts earlier.  Yesterday I shot an 88, good enough to make the final group for Sunday (three day tournament) and enter the final round in third place, one shot out of second and two out of first.  

Today I shot an 82, hitting eight GIRs, and winning my flight by two. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 rounds over the weekend. One at my home course, another at a course I hadn't played yet that was a 6650 yard par 71 and the last was one I had played a few times this year but this was the first time I played the back tees at 7000 yards. I was absolutely spraying my driver all over the place all weekend which made it very tough to hit greens, combine that with some shaky wedge play and not making any substantial putts you get a couple 78s and an 82. It was a miracle I shot 78 on Saturday considering on hole one I piped a drive down the middle and ended up making birdie and that was the last time I hit the fairway all day and I didn't have another birdie lol. I'm excited to get back to the 7K yard course I wasn't playing well but scrapped my way to a 39 on the front then on the back the two some I had paired up with left so I was playing as a single and it got slowww it was hard to stay focused as it must have taken 2 and a half hours to play the back 9 as a single. Want to catch it on a less busy day really stay dialed and see what I can do from 7K yards since the majority of courses around me barely crack 6K.

image.thumb.png.b9f45181345c47f4e42eb1b41f07ec43.png

Sugar Hill Golf Club - Front 9 - 2968/White Tees - 69.1/129

Shot a 44, which was an absolute Jekyll & Hyde round.  Started on the par 3 three third.  Pulled my tee shot left and long, chipped on, and then drilled an eight foot putt for par.  Bogeyed the fourth, and parred the fifth.  Piped my drive on both holes.  Skulled a nine iron short of the green on four and left the par putt on the lip.  Hit the green with my pitching wedge and just missed birdie on five.  Mr. Hyde reared his ugly head on six when I pulled my drive into the trees on the left.  My ball wound up in the rough about 100 yards from the tee, with a downhill hanging lie.  I hit a three wood really solidly, but it never got too far off the ground and hit a mound along the right side of the fairway, and then trickled into another hanging lie on a pretty severe slope.  I got it near the green, but I made double.  Hit my tee shot through the fairway on seven, but hit a spectacular 8 iron from the trees to about fifteen feet.  Again, I just barely missed the birdie putt.  Hit the green on eight and narrowly missed another birdie. 

Then, the par five ninth blew up my score.  Hit my drive left into the trees, and hit a nice 6 iron punch into the fairway.  Hit my three hybrid, but lost my balance on a weirdly uneven lie; my left foot was above my right foot, but it was below the ball.  Anyway, I hit it in the gnarly rough on the hill along the left side of the hole near the green, and took three strokes just to extricate the ball from the deep stuff.  Wound up with a 9.  Due to league rules, it went in the scorecard as a 7, but it was a 9.

Rebounded nicely with a nice birdie on one, and then gave it back - plus one - with a double on the par five second.  I made another dumb decision, and tried to hit a shot that I had no business trying, which meant I hit a tree with my second and still had almost 200 left for my third.  Pushed that into the rough short and right of the green, and then hit a pretty decent pitch onto the front, leaving myself about fifteen feet for par.  I proceeded to hit the worst putt of the day, and ran it six feet past the hole, and made a double to finish the round. 

Half of my score came from a third of the holes.  Each of those scores was caused by a bad decision which compounded the mistake.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White