IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played #4 today at Pinehurst.  Played the White tees at 6428 yards. Horrible off the tee today. 9 fairways, 9 GIRs, 33 putts!  Ended up abandoning the driver and hit three wood off the tee. Putting was not good, more lip outs than Mick Jagger!

Today was round 200 for the year. Year to date Stats from GHIN are 69% fairways, 44% GIR, 30.2 putts a round.

Continuing my habit of golf everyday during this week off work I played 18 holes at Chesapeake Hills for the first time today. 

I lost track of my scorecard but it was probably around 110.

I had a great performance on a third of the holes with 5 pars and a single bogey  , double bogeys which is ok for me on the other third , and triple or quadruple disaster on the remaining 6 with a bunch of lost balls.

I had several of my best drives ever , I put myself on the green in 2 shots on 3 of the par 4s.

Out of 5 par 3s I drove onto the green on 4 of them so that was encouraging. 

I’ve got to just practice tee shots like crazy, not scrambling out of the rough will give me a chance to put an end to the triple and quadruple blowup holes. Tried driving a Wilson 24 degree utility iron today , a d1 coach who happened to be next to me at the range thought I was doing a nice job with it so going to keep with it since the drive is a slice disaster.  

Played Croasdaile the other day and put up a solid 87 (47-40). A quad on the fourth hole was my only truly bad hole of the day, and I hit the ball pretty well, especially on holes 10-16, where I hit every green but one and two putted every hole (six pars, one bogey).

Coming out of the Member-Guest weekend, the greens were faster than usual (probably an 11 on the stimpmeter). Several times I left myself four to six feet after a downhill putt, and I converted probably 70% of those.

We’re playing The Cardinal in Greensboro tomorrow, so looking forward to that!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

90 today at Minnesott from the golds.  My son and I had a 10am tee time, after warming up on the range we eased over to the tee at a couple minutes before we were to go.  On the red / grey tees were two groups of 4 who were playing Superball and ahead of them on the green was another foursome.  Long story short the course pro came over to see if we wanted to "jump" to another hole but it looked to be busy all the way around.  We said we would wait and then he asked if one of his crew could play with us.  Mark said he plays from the golds because he's old, so for speed sake we agreed to do the same.  We had a great day on the course as Mark was low-key about his game, totally non-stressed so I really believed it helped in playing more consistent golf.  As we had a strong wind out of the south - head out with the wind, come back against it.  Made for interesting shot choices and setups.  My round started off with par and bogie, thought it was going to be a great day, maybe a birdie in the mix?  Alas it was not to be as I had two doubles, three bogies and a par to finish the front nine doing "bogie" golf 45 off a 36.   Back nine was much the same with two pars, two doubles and five bogies for "bogie" golf on the back nine.  A good round of golf as there were no blow-up holes, a great round of golf as my son and I had some great time together and made a new friend in the midst of enjoying the day.   

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot 44-48 today at McCullough’s Emerald Golf Links, down by Atlantic City. Each hole is modeled after or inspired by famous old courses or something. I didn’t really get that feel and I’m definitely not a fan of the layout. Too many blind shots and there were a couple of dumb pin locations.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

BillChao, interesting point on the blind shots on the 'famous holes' course. We have a course here in Maryland called Renditions I have been meaning to play setup with famous holes as well. I'll need to take a look and make sure I'm not getting into something that isn't fun unless you've played it several times before.

I played a lot of golf today making the most of the last weekday of my week off. I played 2 balls on my 9 hole home course  in the morning and scored a 48 and 53, so close to my first under 100! I would have made it I believe, I got hit into on the last hole and whiffed two pitches that I'd been money on all day setting up a 2 putt. I had several 1 putt holes. Playing every day this week has made a tremendous difference in my putting....probably won't last once I go back to once a week golfing but it sure was nice making 7 and 8 foot putts on multiple holes.

My daughter had after school plans so I played 14 holes (they cut us off at 5:45) at Walden Country Club in the afternoon. Was paired with some really nice guys, my performance off the tee was terrible but I made a lot of good approach shots and my putting was really good. The course was packed so for pace of play reasons I didn't keep score, we did a bunch of tee-off rehits and drops to significantly better locations to keep things moving. I didn't feel tired at all but I wonder if some fatigue was leading to my terrible performance off the tee.

Stonewall Country Club tomorrow for the first time, looking forward to it but the layout might be tough since I'm not much of a distance guy. I may checkout 2nd swing golf for a new 3 wood in the morning...mine is a early 90's design and I wonder if something newer might help when I need distance. Hope everyone has a great weekend playing.

Edited by DCCarpenter

Actually not today but last week but my first ever competition. I was good off the tee, not so good off the deck. Putted ok (for me) and played relatively smart. Shot big numbers overall but net 33 points on stableford and finished second in my class. Got paired up with the club champion (plays off +2) and another low handicapper (4) so I was super nervous 😬 but they were so encouraging and patient that I actually managed to relax and play better stuff on the back nine. Really super positive experience. Tommorow I play in the annual club closing tournament: a 1-3 club (depending on handicap… I get 3) team scramble over a cross country course (in vintage golf dress 🎩). Not sure what to put in my bag for this one … I an thinking 4 hybrid (24 degrees), pw and putter but open to advice….EBFAF348-35F8-4822-AE0A-12D78F8FFD27.thumb.jpeg.9b625577172ee97fdc5688d272888bea.jpeg

Edited by Mophdmlw

Couldn't drive worth a darn. Course was soaking wet, no run on the ball as it was. Greens were throwing roostertails as we putted. Irons were good. Hit every par 3, played them one under, missed a 6'er for birdie as well. Shot 83. Kid beat me by 2, which is how many par 5's he reached in 2 and birdied........

Edited by Esox

Played an outing Sunday. Hadn’t hit a ball in 2.5 weeks. First shot I hit a 7 iron on par 3 that never left the stick. Absolutely pure strike. Hit my irons like that most of the day. Hit a stick with an 8 iron. Landed a 5 iron within 6 feet. Hell of a day ball striking irons. Struggles off tee to an extent but I had partners for that. We had mulligans and tosses.... and managed a -19 which is best outing score I’ve ever posted. We finished 2nd to a -21 tho. Those 4 pars we made cost us.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

90 again. 44 on the front, which felt good, 46 on the back and felt like i played a lot worse.. Very slow play on the course

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

Relegated to playing #3 today, busy time of year with outside play.  A non-spectacular 74.

By the way if anyone is headed down this way next year, course #8 is closing down from March thru September for new greens an fairway changes.

Ran into this guy on #3 on the back 9:  note the cigar.

68C84926-9DFD-4545-8569-447C8961F7CF.jpeg

Edited by Sandy Lie
  • Funny 1

92 at Carolina Colours today - cart path only due to heavy rains last night.  Coupled with gusty winds, felt it was a good score for the first time ever on it. Course offers some good challenges frown tee to greens.  Followed that 18 with another 9 at Harbour Pointe (super ball format).  Long day and some great fun.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Sundays round at my homecourse (par 72, 6250 yards, rating 72,7, slope 147): 

Not the most solid long game, but my short game was very good. Shot of the day was my teeshot on 14, which was a smoked 5 iron (240 yards) to the middle of a narrow fairway. 100% crisp! Unfortunately I ended up with a bogey there after a bad chip from the fringe that ended in a 2-putt.  

scorekort 1av2 241021.png

scorekort 2av2 241021.png

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Ok round today.  Par x 2, bogey x 3, par, double (par 3 into water), par x 2, bogey, par x 2, bogey x 2, par, bogey, double (par 4 into water), bogey.  Can't complain about most holes though the two doubles really irritate me.  No need for either

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Surprisingly busy at my home course early afternoon today , wanted to play 2 balls but had to drop it after the 3rd hole. 

I had a one ball score of 50 for 9 holes.  

The wind was heavy and on the 3rd my soaring drive was going nice and straight and then blew 30 yards hard right , followed by a topped fairway shot and the hole turned into a triple. 

Another top on the 9th turned what should have been a single into a double bogey. Wind hurt my drives some on that hole too. 

Highlight of the day was a 200 yard 3 iron drive dead straight against the wind on the 1st hole. First time on the course with this 3 iron since a regrip and new shaft, it was a gift from a family friend so glad to have it back out. Just a 90’s Spaulding Tour Advance but cool to have it back out and hitting some fairways again. 

I’ve got a bit of golf to catch up on here. A combination of good, bad and ugly.

10/23: First is The Cardinal. Not much to say about this round, so I’ll go ahead and say I shot 99 there from the blacks (72.3/137). Not a great round but it’s a tough course. And I twisted my ankle on the 7th hole so I was happy to have finished at all. My dad and I played an excellent match and it came down to the last hole. He ended with an even 100. 

10/25: Back to the ol’ faithful Umstead Pines. Ugly start: +12 through six holes but I regrouped on the seventh hole and bounced back to shoot 93. 

10/27: Yesterday was interesting. I decided to move up to the whites for nine holes to see what happened. Parred the first hole, but followed that with three bogeys (at least one of which should’ve been a par) and a double. Five over through five, and then I parred in for a 41. Then my coach invited me to play nine holes with him. I was a bit pressed on time, so I only played seven holes, but we had a great match.

We both parred the first hole, then he parred the next three and went up three with three to play. I won the fifth with a bogey when he duffed a chip, then won the sixth after throwing my 60-yard approach to within a foot. He won the last hole, but I gave him a run for his money!

Saw a little dip in the handicap. Was 11.3, down to 11.1 after the paired nine. I’m hoping to get back out to the course tomorrow!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 10/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, Sandy Lie said:

Relegated to playing #3 today, busy time of year with outside play.  A non-spectacular 74.

By the way if anyone is headed down this way next year, course #8 is closing down from March thru September for new greens an fairway changes.

Ran into this guy on #3 on the back 9:  note the cigar.

68C84926-9DFD-4545-8569-447C8961F7CF.jpeg

The epitome of slow play!

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

Played a personal best at the Emerald today from the blue tees (6156 yds, 70.1/127) with a 91 (44 / 47).  Managed to get 4 pars and a birdie.  Too many doubles (5) and even a triple.  Drives were all over the place while distance was good.  Basically a lot of scrambles of up-and-down for par attempts.  Around the greens had a good day with the wedges and scoring irons.  Too many approaches were short. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star